Quantcast
Joly Ultimate MXL 603 or new SDC's? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Joly Ultimate MXL 603 or new SDC's?
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You have to remove the threaded brass retaining ring that holds the capsule assembly together. Do this in clean place. Remove the brass ring, the backplate, the Mylar spacers and diaphragm. You'll need to cut and shape a new wire mesh disc to go back inside the capsule housing once milled down. Reassemble the whole mess and adjust the tension on the brass retaining ring to get a capsule capacitance in the neighborhood of 38pF.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Smile ah!!

i saw that in there and tried to turn it but it dident seem to budge, what kind of tool would be able to do this? i see 2 small holes on opposite sides but i have no idea of what to do.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You need a pin wrench. I made my own to fit these capsules. Buy some extra capsule because you're going to find you'll need them ; )
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Talking im going to pick at your brain more.....if you dont mind!!

thanks for your help so far!
more questions!

if you don't mind could you describe the method you use to mill down the assembly?

how did you make your pin wrench?

and...

i was thinking about buying extra capsules but they only come in onmi and i don't know where to get the cardioid ones..hummm...
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scathontiphat ➑️
Hey all! First post here (although I've read many threads in this forum).

I'm looking to upgrade/get a new pair of SDCs. I currently have a pair of MXL 603s and I'm not particularly happy with their performance as overheads. To me the lack some low end body that I like to hear in overheads and are a bit harsh. Currently i don't have any outboard pre-amps (I have a MOTU 828mkii).

So I'm looking at few options:
a) give my current 603 pair the "Ultimate MXL 603 Mod" treatment from Michael Joly. Pair this with a ~$400 pre (used RNP?)
b) get a pair of beyerdynamic MC930s, stick with MOTU preamps
c) get a new pair of Joly modded Octava MK-012, stick with MOTU preamps
d) something else?

thoughts, comments, recommendations and suggestions all very much appreciated :D Thanks!
This is precious. The brother makes one post in nine months and doesn't let us know how he decided.

But, for all you 603 etc DIYers - look for my upcoming step by step mic mod'ing cookbook: "Bring out the Sawzall, fire up the Oxy-Acetylene Torch - How to Modify your cheap ass mics so they rock!"
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Personally I would have modded the 603's and bought a ZED. It would be nice to know what he did.

BTW Michael, the ZED pre's are fast enough to really love the 012 w/your Premium electronics upgrade. It's a great match.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the tip. I've never heard those preamps. Folks are always asking me what I recommend so I always refer them back here for a wider range of opinions than I can offer.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Question uhhh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
But, for all you 603 etc DIYers - look for my upcoming step by step mic mod'ing cookbook: "Bring out the Sawzall, fire up the Oxy-Acetylene Torch - How to Modify your cheap ass mics so they rock!"
at the risk of sounding stupid....

Is this a joke or is it for real
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We then sketched out upgraded capsule and electronic designs for what eventually became the first Earthworks mics
Are these high quality electret capsules available commercially?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The first Earthworks prototypes I worked on were made using Panasonic WM-61 type electret capsules with the Linkwitz hack. I believe Blackmer subsequently had capsules made to his spec.
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Top secret I suppose then...
πŸ“ Reply