Quantcast
Presonus Digimax better than Digi 002's DA converters?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus Digimax better than Digi 002's DA converters??
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Presonus Digimax better than Digi 002's DA converters??

I'm wondering if getting an inexpensive DA converter like the Presonus Digimax would give me more accuracy than my Digi 002's DA converters. Or would I really need to step up to a higher end converter to experience a significant improvement?
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I think the Digimax converters are better. I have both at my studio.
I run my Pacifica into the Digimax and then adat to the 002. Sounds
better to me than using the line in's on the 002.

Plus, the Digimax pre's are surprisingly not bad. I prefer them over
an Avalon on some things, like electric guitar.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm running a Behringer ADA8000 as master and slaving my 002R. Sounds much better than using the 002 inputs and conversion. I guess that doesn't say much for the 002.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiummusic ➑️
I think the Digimax converters are better. I have both at my studio.
I run my Pacifica into the Digimax and then adat to the 002. Sounds
better to me than using the line in's on the 002.

Plus, the Digimax pre's are surprisingly not bad. I prefer them over
an Avalon on some things, like electric guitar.
That's great but this has nothing to do with the D/A conversion that the original poster is talking about.

How do the "line outs" compare ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
to me, they sound better than the 002.

they also sound right on par with the 003 to me
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Digimax FS have best converters in it's price range, very stable clock and good pres. IMHO!
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Yes, while I appreciate all the responses I was just talking about DA conversion. I already have Apogee AD16X for AD. Any more opinions? Would digimax be significantly more accurate, or what might you recommend as the least expensive converter to offer a significant leap in accuracy RELATIVE TO DIGI 002.
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy ➑️
Yes, while I appreciate all the responses I was just talking about DA conversion. I already have Apogee AD16X for AD. Any more opinions? Would digimax be significantly more accurate, or what might you recommend as the least expensive converter to offer a significant leap in accuracy.
How many channels of DA do you need?
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Um, I guess only two? I'm listening to the overall mix as L and R which is requires only two channels, yeah? Sorry if I'm missing something, I'm techno challenged. Would there be a need for more?
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Um, I guess only two? I'm listening to the overall mix as L and R which is requires only two channels, yeah? Sorry if I'm missing something, I'm techno challenged. Would there be a need for more?
If you're using outboard gear or anything then you might need more, but if this is just for monitoring, I suggest you save your pennies and buy either a Benchmark DAC1 or a Lavry DA10. Either one is light years better than what you've got and will change your life. Absolutely superb. I personally use the DAC1. Amazing.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay ➑️
That's great but this has nothing to do with the D/A conversion that the original poster is talking about.

How do the "line outs" compare ?
i think you're all on glue! unless he's specified which digimax he's talking about? the digimax96k and the digimax LT dont have D/A converters just A/D!

and unless he needs 8 more mic pre's, which i also mustve missed, why even look at a digimax especially if he already has the apogee AD16x for A/D?...maybe the dude should be looking at a DAC1 or something?

Maybe I'm on glue and its been a long day? non of this including myself makes any sense!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalou ➑️
i think you're all on glue! unless he's specified which digimax he's talking about? the digimax96k and the digimax LT dont have D/A converters just A/D!

and unless he needs 8 more mic pre's, which i also mustve missed, why even look at a digimax especially if he already has the apogee AD16x for A/D?...maybe the dude should be looking at a DAC1 or something?

Maybe I'm on glue and its been a long day? non of this including myself makes any sense!
The Digimax FS is the one I believe the OP is referring to. It has DA converters as well. For about the same price as a new FS, you may be able to find a used Lucid 8824, which would give you 8 channels of really nice conversion - 2 for monitoring, and 6 for headphone mixes, outboard sends, etc. Otherwise a 2 channel unit like the DAC1, Apogee Mini DAC, Lucid DA, etc. would fit the bill at a relatively close price point (depending which one you chose) for monitoring.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think for 2 channels of D/A, i see used Mytek DA96's pretty regularly for $600, which is about what a Digimax FS runs.. that'd be my suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalou ➑️

let's see there are 4 digimax products. only one has D/A
and the title of the post refers to D/A

deductive reasons suggests that.... ohh **** it, i'm going back to sniffing glue...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You could try the Black Lion mod to improve the D/A, but to be honest, it'd probably be best to connect the SPDIF out to a good D/A converter like a Lavry Black, Benchmark DAC1, or Mytek Stereo96.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Oh crap, I think there's a problem with this plan. My light pipe is being taken up with the AD16X and I'm going in SPDIF from a PC for Quantum Leap Pianos (I use a mac for Pro Tools.) What does that leave me? Even if I could use SPDIF I hate the sound of it (I know there's not supposed to be a diff in sound quality in these formats but I'm convinced there is.) Anyway, just wondering if I have any options left for connecting a DA converter?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay ➑️
I think for 2 channels of D/A, i see used Mytek DA96's pretty regularly for $600, which is about what a Digimax FS runs.. that'd be my suggestion.

let's see there are 4 digimax products. only one has D/A
and the title of the post refers to D/A

deductive reasons suggests that.... ohh **** it, i'm going back to sniffing glue...
Looks like you picked the wrong day to stop sniffin glue.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh crap, I think there's a problem with this plan. My light pipe is being taken up with the AD16X and I'm going in SPDIF from a PC for Quantum Leap Pianos (I use a mac for Pro Tools.) What does that leave me? Even if I could use SPDIF I hate the sound of it (I know there's not supposed to be a diff in sound quality in these formats but I'm convinced there is.) Anyway, just wondering if I have any options left for connecting a DA converter?
Those are inputs that are being taken up. You still have the Lightpipe out and spdif out to hook a DA converter to.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Doh, embarrassed but relieved, thanks!
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
What about Apogee miniDAC? Is it heavily colored like Apogee ADs? May sound nice but I'm going for accuracy here.
πŸ“ Reply