Quantcast
50th Anniversary, The Day The Music Died - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
50th Anniversary, The Day The Music Died
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
50th Anniversary, The Day The Music Died

Today is the Anniversary of the plane crash killing Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens in a Iowa cornfield in 1959.

R.I.P.

Regards ,,deda,,
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Guru
Oh, god, the day the music died eh? I can think of many other more influencial people who have died or who are living... Kurt Cobain, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson (I think he's dying). The Boss, Trent Reznor, Tupac, Biggie, Eminem.

The music is still alive man. There is so much more than Buddy Holly haha. I think Kurt Cobain was way more influential. Let's not forget Elvis too... Oh and Lennon. Lennon's music is very very influential.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Elvis and especially Lennon where so strongly influence by Buddy hollies work........ well i huess those are just bad examples. But I believe That "The day the music died" as a lyric by Don McLean in American Pie (The song, NOT the movie) referred to Buddy Holly's death.

Goood Post Deda. I resently re discovered buddy holly when I got a new turntable. I have heard that Waylon Jennings (played bass in the crickets) won the coin toss to get on the flight but gave it up to Holly who was feeling ill.

can anyone verify this?

A
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Well Don McClean was the first to pen it as "The Day the Music Died" in American Pie. It was one of the first, if not the first, great tragedies in Rock n' Roll history. It's not that all music after the incident isn't fantastic or influential, it's just that it impacted and stunned many people. The same way people still talk about James Dean and Marilyn Monroe
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwookieesound ➑️
Well Don McClean was the first to pen it as "The Day the Music Died" in American Pie. It was one of the first, if not the first, great tragedies in Rock n' Roll history. It's not that all music after the incident isn't fantastic or influential, it's just that it impacted and stunned many people. The same way people still talk about James Dean and Marilyn Monroe
The Difference between James Dean and Marylin Monroe is that James Dean was a great actor and Marylin Monroe... No comment haha. It's like comparing a pro to an amateur now. James Dean influenced Brad Pitt a lot! James Dean and Marylin Monroe in the same sentence just sounds wrong.

Which song by Buddy Holly should I check out? (other than Peggy Sue)
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
The Difference between James Dean and Marylin Monroe is that James Dean was a great actor and Marylin Monroe... No comment haha. It's like comparing a pro to an amateur now. James Dean influenced Brad Pitt a lot! James Dean and Marylin Monroe in the same sentence just sounds wrong.

Which song by Buddy Holly should I check out? (other than Peggy Sue)
I'm referring to them in a cultural context, I'm not comparing talent. That'll Be the Day is another classic. Buddy and The Crickets were also pioneers in the recording arts, very under appreciated.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
Oh, god, the day the music died eh? I can think of many other more influencial people who have died or who are living... Kurt Cobain, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson (I think he's dying). The Boss, Trent Reznor, Tupac, Biggie, Eminem.

The music is still alive man. There is so much more than Buddy Holly haha. I think Kurt Cobain was way more influential. Let's not forget Elvis too... Oh and Lennon. Lennon's music is very very influential.

It's a reference to American Pie, dude, which was written based on this day. It in no way implies that music has been dead since then. We all know of a lot of great artists dead and alive who lived since then - but just remember that these three, Holly, Bopper and Valens, influenced every artist after them.

Of course there are great acts these days - but we can't forget that they wouldn't be the way they are had it not been for those before them.

Thanks for the wonderful post/reminder, Deda!

Cheers,
Cam
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anybody who doesn't understand or recognize Buddy's influence on music needs to take a break and find out WHY he's so important.

Its not up for debate kids...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Anyone here ever toured Norman Petty Studios? I was in Clovis a few years back, I saw the outside but I didn't get a chance to make an appointment.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Chris -- until Gearslutz allows me to block your posts, many of which are identical to the ones posted above, you really should think before you post.

RIP indeed.

Without Holly I seriously doubt many people would pick up guitars in the first place. Lately I've been on a Jim Reeves kick, too. Too many plane accidents!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
jim croce also a plane victim
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Buddy holly songs I like are cryin hopin waitin, and that'll be the day. others like raining in the morning where "produced" with strings etc.

A
Gear Guru
I had no idea that it was a song. All apologies.
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picksalot ➑️
Elvis and especially Lennon where so strongly influence by Buddy hollies work........ well i huess those are just bad examples. But I believe That "The day the music died" as a lyric by Don McLean in American Pie (The song, NOT the movie) referred to Buddy Holly's death.

Goood Post Deda. I resently re discovered buddy holly when I got a new turntable. I have heard that Waylon Jennings (played bass in the crickets) won the coin toss to get on the flight but gave it up to Holly who was feeling ill.

can anyone verify this?

A
I am curious, how did Elvis get influenced by Buddy Holly? I thought it was the other way around, that Elvis influenced Buddy Holly.

on wikipedia, it's written that "Holly turned to rock music after seeing Elvis Presley sing live in Lubbock in early 1955"
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What I think we forget is that there was nothing like what they did, before they did it. It was more than a flavor change but an entire genre.

In my mind, there have only been a few major musical changes in our lifetime (Rap, Alternative, Disco, etc) and as powerful as they were, they were all minor variations of something that already existed. But nothing like those this thread salutes.

RIP indeed. Moment of silence.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Holly's Legacy

The attached link describes a legacy in the "Business of Music" that died that day as well. If not killed his mark on the Business would have kept so many of the artist's who were left pennyless do to the contract's that ruled the Music Business for a very long time. Motown greats that were robbed of their music thus money is well documented and Rock was not immune either.

If Holly's control of music rights had been followed by others there would be a different history of music at least for the artist's songwriters that WAS the Music Business. Regards ,,deda,,

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6242935.html
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I think its crazy how this happen before most of us was born, happened a couple years before I came to earth..... Must have been a great time with Buddy and the guys.
Old 4th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
first off, I find wiki hard to trust, but more to the point....

Holly would have influence elvis because they existed in the same period of music. too think they where not keeping tabs on eachother woud be far fetched i would think.

I think rock and roll was largley inventd by Carl Perkins.....but i guess few might agree with that. Ike Turner claims that rock and roll was his invention.......... sorry for the ramble
RIP BUDDY!

A
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…