Quantcast
Free Money - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Free Money
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Free Money

The government (Australia) is giving me $950 as part of the stimulus package designed to boost spending in the midst of the financial crisis, so obviously I am inclined to spend it on audio gear.

What would you recommend I buy, my current gear list is:

Focusrite Saffire, HS50 monitors, solid computer, KSM 27, Rode NT5 pair, SM57, BETA 58, CMC Midi controller.

Acoustic treatment aside, I am thinking about a mic pre as my next purchase, but I am open to other suggestions.

Free money is great, what do you do when it comes your way?
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I suppose it depends from person to person. I would upgrade my monitors if your acoustics are sorted....
Old 3rd February 2009
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyBrookson ➑️
The government (Australia) is giving me $950 as part of the stimulus package designed to boost spending in the midst of the financial crisis, so obviously I am inclined to spend it on audio gear.

What would you recommend I buy, my current gear list is:

Focusrite Saffire, HS50 monitors, solid computer, KSM 27, Rode NT5 pair, SM57, BETA 58, CMC Midi controller.

Acoustic treatment aside, I am thinking about a mic pre as my next purchase, but I am open to other suggestions.

Maybe put it towards a really good DAC? Lavry DA10 or Benchmark DAC1? I use the latter (as of only very recently), it's changed my life. Single best purchased I may have ever made.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 ➑️
Maybe put it towards a really good DAC? Lavry DA10 or Benchmark DAC1? I use the latter (as of only very recently), it's changed my life. Single best purchased I may have ever made.
Good suggestions so far...either one would be great, but I would tend to upgrade in the following order: treatment, converters then monitoring.

Frank
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What do you record?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
save it!
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneoconnor ➑️
save it!
Bit selfish in the current situation...tutt(not really, just kidding) Besides, this should be a time to work great deals on stuff you'd never be able to get otherwise.heh I mean, I wouldn't dip into the family budget, but if someone just handed me a G, a chunk of it would be gear!

I do agree with Frank that treatment would be on top of the list--changed my life!

Last edited by Old Goat; 4th February 2009 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: not scolding
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Hey DonnyBrookson,

Since, it's is a home team support project, why don't you consider home team products.

Check out some Australian made audio gear and invest in your people.

Buy locally, think globally.

Just a thought.

Peace.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Perhaps something that expands your abilities, instead of just the quality of your current abilities.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I second saving it, but if not buy local. I've always been after one of those cool Baby Animal pres from JLM. Maybe on my next trip down there!

Man, am I the only one whose initial thought was that this was a SPAM thread?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt ➑️
What do you record?

Just your basic band set-up, vocals, drums, bass and guitars.

Shopping locally is a good idea though I am not familiar with any Australian brands for pro audio, must look into it as I am thinking I should go for a pre, or guitar amp...it never ends.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Me and my Girlfriend are using ours to go on a holiday to New Zealand.

If the Rudd government is stupid enough to think that giving every $950 is going to help the economy....Wait he is that stupid......
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drycounty ➑️
Man, am I the only one whose initial thought was that this was a SPAM thread?
No, I thought the same thing. I ignored this thread until I saw 11 responses.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Shopping locally is a good idea though I am not familiar with any Australian brands for pro audio, must look into it as I am thinking I should go for a pre, or guitar amp...it never ends.
It doesn't seem that you have the mics and preamps covered to do a drum kit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobz ➑️
Me and my Girlfriend are using ours to go on a holiday to New Zealand.

If the Rudd government is stupid enough to think that giving every $950 is going to help the economy....Wait he is that stupid......

my wife and i are going to use it to pay off a loan

that said i'd prefer to buy a Juno 6
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Mic pres: I've read good things about JLM and Sebatron thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
is it really free money or is it just more of your tax money refunded to you?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
get a jlm audio 1290 pre. its neve style. awesome sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hi end ADA is nice...but ive sold in the past lots of cd's n cassettes of my songs at likkle markets without useing em.
if i had an extra 1k i would prolly have a big party for me 89 year old mum to celebrate
the fact she is still around to pull me ear n tell me i'm a bad boy...lol.
mebe hunt around for some used deals.
loads of cheap stuff you can buy for a coupla hundred buks.
mca sp1, old ev dynamics, toneport gx (lots of geetar sounds for 50 buks.) .
scoutb the pawn shops for used deals etc. old midi synths etc etc.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
it really is free money...

people with two kids will get $3800... and a few months ago they were given $2000. recessions are awesome!!! bring on a depression..

Should probably use it to pay off debt and so on although I've been wanting a bass guitar for a while... tutt

and the new term for shopping is now officially "Stimulating the economy"

Although we might not get it now seeing as the oposition is voting against.. and the $4.2 BILLION typo probably isn't going to help their cause... fail...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Like any modern country Australia owes money to World Banks whom dictate
global economics to Governments.
Rudd has no choice in the matter. He is being told to borrow and how much, His job is to spend it.

So giving a little to taxpayers is a nice gesture bound to get him reelected next term.
But like any labor government here, the mass of debt with their erecting monuments to themselves will weigh a very heavy economic burden and a skyrocketing inflation before his first term is up.

If you inject a whole heap of money into an economy without increased production and trade the money losses its value. Inflates.

Of course Australians will be hoodwinked into believing its the result of a global recession but the truth is that 60 billion dollars will create our recession and this money we are getting is all part of this trap and won't be worth it in the face of his soon to be released skyrocketing tax increases just to try and keep up with the loan repayments interest (deficit)

The Liberal party won't want to win the next election, but we Australians will be sick of Rudd by his second term and probably by his first. You watch Liberals will put up a show but for sure won't want the economic mess.

No we didn't win the lottery; we been given a gun to the head and a large sentence into duress.

Like any business spend your money to make money.
If you take out a morgage take advantage of the low interest rates but go for a fixed rate because they'll go thru the roof within 10 year possibly within 5 if Rudd can't make good his loan and how can he with rising inflation making our money worth less.

Now here is where it gets interesting. Who makes gain in a collapsed economy? No one! Not even the World Banks. Fools. their money is worth less too!

Another era of selling out Australia has begun.

The good news is things will come good once the buy offs have gotten a bargain buying up selloffs in the Corporate sector.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt ➑️
It doesn't seem that you have the mics and preamps covered to do a drum kit.
Indeed, there's something to look into. Anything in particular that you recommend?

Jee Jinks, that was a depressing rant.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
so Jinks I shouldn't buy a bass guitar?

I'm thinking it would be good to get something I can claim on tax.. so Its like I'm getting given even more... I guess thats whats good about being an "Audio Engineer" you can claim all these toys on tax. I need a bass guitar to record over dubs right...

If I were you, I would be going for more mic pres
Maybe in the form of a small console with direct outs?
Old 5th February 2009

🎧 10 years
Quote:

aaah... the roots of hyper inflation.....heh

It's not free money. It's a loan - check your income tax rate in three years time. It's the opening batting for hyper inflation - granted a few more steps needed to truly enter that realm. But it's the move of a naive and short sighted government. Yup - it'll give a three month stimulus - but then wait and see what happens because the world economy isn't on a short dip. This is gonna take a few years.....I've seen it happen many times, and i've watched government "presents" push the crisis the extra two yards - if not nine.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey Tomeford I have a nice Fender bass for sale.

Couldn't resist the plug after it was mentioned twice.
πŸ“ Reply