Quantcast
After you have your preamp and mics and monitors...what next? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
After you have your preamp and mics and monitors...what next?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
After you have your preamp and mics and monitors...what next?

what would be my next step??

Currently i own:
2.5 Ghz Macbook Pro w/ 4 gigs of ram

Logic Pro 8 Academic

Motu 896HD

Dynaudio BM6a's

3 SM 57s
1 M-Audio Sputnik
2 M-audio Pulsar II Pair
1 Audix D6
1 Audio-Technica AT3035

What now? What should i build around?

I was thinking about getting a Lucid Genx192 Word clock...but would that be my least helpful item?

-evan
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Room room room room room

room...

Maybe some acoustic treatment perhaps?
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph ➑️
Room room room room room

room...

This is your answer. If you don't have an acoustically treated room, then you are not even able to hear what your current gear sounds like.

Need many Bass traps, and then analyze the frequency of the room. Optimizing your mixing room at the listening position is critical to get anything half decent sounding.

Check here for a lot of info RealTraps - Home
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
judging by your list, you need a great pre and converter.

if the room isn't done, that is a must.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph ➑️
Room room room room room

room...

My thoughts exactly
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After your room treatment, start honing your skills....
record, record, record

It'll be the best way to learn what you need next that is right for you -- or what you have that isn't working out.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze ➑️
After your room treatment, start honing your skills....
record, record, record

It'll be the best way to learn what you need next that is right for you -- or what you have that isn't working out.
Another nail hit squarely on the head
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
hrm alright! thanks guys!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Your gear is fine. Get your room sorted out if you feel the $$$ burning a hole in your pocket.

As has been said, next thing is to hone those skills! You've got the gear so get recording!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Room is really cheap if you DIY. Just do it.

And a suggestion for better converters/pres would be an N12
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
i will do the room myself =)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
when I saw the title of the tread I tought "room"

check out John Sayers Productions, lots of great info there
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
you think?

i dont need a word clock or anytihng?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Forget about the damn clock. Trust those who have said it already, tune your room with acoustic treatment as needed, especially to have an even response at your critical listening position. It makes a big difference. I know that it seems like a silly thing, but you'll start to make more accurate decisions on the sound of your gear/recordings and spend less time redoing work or finding mic positions based on incorrect playback information, etc. Talk to your local shops and/or live clubs to see if they know anyone who can help professionally.

Otherwise, I'd agree that you could start building toward an excellent single-channel preamp, or dual.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hey your from Springfield! thats awesome, im from Columbia/StL

im up at Mizzou.

-evan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
While I agree that room treatment can be important, you might consider using some of your cash to take a band into a nice room in your town, and work as a producer, with the house engineer. Ask questions, and make sure he's cool with you picking his brain. Observe, try different mics and preamps, etc. A day or two may cost a good little bit of money, but at the end of a day or two, you'll have acquired some great information, hopefully have a track you can call finished and truthfully say you produced.

You can't buy skills, it may take years to get to where you want to be, but you can speed it up by working with other pro's, even if it's just screwing around in a nice room with a drumkit for a few hours.

Your gear is perfectly adequate to get very good results.

As to your room, if your room is bigger than about 1500 cubic feet and has a reasonably normal reverb decay time, you don't really need treatment. If your room is smaller or overly live (or overly dead,) some treatment is in order. If you're not sure whether you need it, try listening to some well-recorded tracks that you're familiar with. If they sound right to your ear, you're probably ok. If they sound funny (thin, boomy, too reverbed out) treat the problem.

There's a lot of money to be made selling foam. Not to question anyone's motives here, but I think a lot of the room treatment stuff we hear is hype and salesman-speak. Unless you have major room problems, it's just not that big a deal.

Last edited by John Suitcase; 5th February 2009 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: typos
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
In my oppinion, (biased at that), i think if you can get used to mixing in a certain situation, it also can help you become a better engineer. If i have a ****ty room, and i learn to mix in it and mix WELL in it, how would room treatment help me at that point in time if i learned the small details and umphs that need to be made in certain areas?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by etcd32 ➑️
If i have a ****ty room, and i learn to mix in it and mix WELL in it, how would room treatment help me at that point in time if i learned the small details and umphs that need to be made in certain areas?
You'd be pretty disadvantaged trying to work in any other room without having to recalibrating yourself everytime you change rooms.

Treat the room and recording environment, decouple your monitors as much as possible and you are treating your music well.

FWIW: External WC really is only needed if you are syncing multiple digital units together.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
so if i bought another MOTU unit for 16 inputs and chained them, id need a wc?
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would look into some outboard compression to lightly touch the input signal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
so if i bought another MOTU unit for 16 inputs and chained them, id need a wc?
Maybe not -- they may sync in some other way, like across firewire (but maybe so, but I'd try it without, first). I use an external clock when I run more than one converter from different manufacturers. BTW, sometimes I tool back down to just one, but leave the clock plugged in due to laziness, and I don't notice a difference between having or not having the clock on the one unit, and it's a MOTU also.

May be different with high end equipment, but in my world, dealing with the clock is a PITA - I finally found a configuration of cables, cable lengths, clock speed, and termination that works with my setup, but it took a while, and any change blows it -- avoid as long as you can
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This site really is like getting a ****ing degree...haha

i could spend a year on this and get a degree in AE without all the nitty gritty stuff no one gives a **** about accept people who are working on making mics/converters and ****
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In my oppinion, (biased at that), i think if you can get used to mixing in a certain situation, it also can help you become a better engineer. If i have a ****ty room, and i learn to mix in it and mix WELL in it, how would room treatment help me at that point in time if i learned the small details and umphs that need to be made in certain areas?
I know what you're saying, but it doesn't work that way. If you learn to mix well in a crappy room that doesn't help you mix in the next crappy room, because it's a new kind of crappy. You have to start all over again. Look at it this way: trying to learn how to mix in a bad room is like trying to use a microscope and learn chemistry in the dark. You'll be trusting blind luck all the time.

Frank
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
+100000000 for room treatment...and what Frank said ^^^
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Currently i own:
2.5 Ghz Macbook Pro w/ 4 gigs of ram

Logic Pro 8 Academic

Motu 896HD

Dynaudio BM6a's

3 SM 57s
1 M-Audio Sputnik
2 M-audio Pulsar II Pair
1 Audix D6
1 Audio-Technica AT3035

What now? What should i build around?

I was thinking about getting a Lucid Genx192 Word clock...but would that be my least helpful item?

-evan

a good outboard anaolg EQ will make your life better
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Forget about the clock! It only keeps multiple converters in sync which you don't have. You won't notice any difference with that Lucid.

I agree with what people are saying about your room treatment. I disagree about it being cheap, easy to do, aND NOT NEEDING it if your room is over 1500 cubic feet.

You can learn new tricks at a professional studio. You go home and record and mix trying your new tricks, play the demo in your car cd and it sucks, How come it doesn't sound like the professional studio mix? It must be there gear right, partially, most important is they can hear minute details and mix a song so that it translates to other playback systems. if you do it long enough in the same room without treatments you'll eventually get it to translate, just like a blind man eventually learns to walk with a cane.

I would suggest you learn how to measure your room to know exactly where your particular room needs fixing. It may sound like smoke and mirrors but it does work if done properly. Seek help from some pros and do some research, save your money for that old clock when you go big time.

Good luck, been there
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
thanks guys!

Also, had a question about snakes...

i was going to get a

50' 8/8 xlr snake by Mogami on ebay for like $230...

Worth it? or should i just buy multiple cables?

eh?
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Record something already!
πŸ“ Reply