Quantcast
Lo-Fi Character Mics - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lo-Fi Character Mics
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lo-Fi Character Mics

Really REALLY enjoying an A-Static D104 Crystal Mic I bought at a yardsale, Circuit Bent Telephone (carbon mic), Shure 550L Dispatcher Mic, etc Any other really low fi mics you can recommend? Maybe a green bullet or similar? Altec salt shaker?
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Old EV mics!
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Not really lo-fi, but the Sontronics Sigma has a nice dark sound. I use it a lot for backing vocals and way-back-in-the-mix percussion parts.

For distorted vocals I use a brandless Japanese crystal mic that I bought on a flea market. I've also had interesting results on vocals with a seventies Pioneer dynamic mic. EV and Philips dynamic models from the sixties can also sound cool. They are low output so a good preamp is a must.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Look no further:

Our Products - Placid Audio
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior ➑️
Old EV mics!
+1

The EV 635A has a ton of character...plus, you can practically steal them on eBay for around $30-40 a pop
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave gross ➑️
+1

The EV 635A has a ton of character...plus, you can practically steal them on eBay for around $30-40 a pop
That's one in particular that I was thinking about. RE20/27 and 666 are pretty cool too. Recently picked up a 626, but haven't much time to try it out. heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_unit ➑️
+1
Love the copperphone as an alternative ambient mic on drums!
Old 29th June 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
EV m-43/u

Our favorite in the studio is the Electro-Voice m-43/u. It's an old harmonica mic, and it sounds incredible on any source you want to sound dark and vibe-y. Perfect for drum ambience, center of the room in a big live session, vocals, inside of a kick (for a super punchy sound), accordion, strings, everything.

Sounds more unique than Shure's green bullet, and definitely has the vintage mojo, but somehow is more authentic sounding than the green bullet.

I had to get a second!
Old 29th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Shure Green Bullet Harp mic has a very low fi sound, just plug it into a DI or amplifier then mic the amp to record...very cool
Old 30th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
List of Colored Mics?

This is a recent thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
op is looking for a lo-fi vibed mic, not a colored one as the other thread was headed...

I would love to have one of those Astatic D104's (old ham radio mic) wired to record, not sure of the wiring schematic to have it working as a recording mic...those mics had some serious charater
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC ➑️
List of Colored Mics?

This is a recent thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave gross ➑️
+1

Yup the 635a is a staple in my mic locker!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I get a lot of use out of the EV 635a too, but I don't think I'd consider it a "lo-fi character mic". It's more of a lower-fi character-less mic; its colorations seem to be more of omission than comission.

I used to work at a studio that had a Brush Acousticel BA106 crystal mic in their locker, and that pig was awesome for lo-fi character. No matter what source you put in front of it you'd get cheesey nasal distorted poo out the other end.

I have a Shure 545 that spent 2 years lying in a pool of heating oil in the basement of a house I shared. When I cleaned it up & plugged it in it made everything sound like a cheap walkie-talkie. I still use that from time to time for "telephone" vocals or in combination with another mic on guitar cabs.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm an antique dealer in addition to music/engineering, so i come across alot of lo-fi mics. i generally buy them for less than $10. if i dont like them/their tone i can stick them in my antique for a decent sized profit. I own a copperfone and love it but some sounds it cant touch. i also own a bunch of EV dynamics (664s, 635s, 676s) but i dont consider them lo-fi.

right now my favorites are a "VCA" mic. It's on the left:

it's hotter than any of my mics and has a real present and warm midrange with very little lows or highs.

and these 2 shures:
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have an EV PL78 that is an electret condenser and it has an awesome lofi sound. Still clean and clear condenser wise but the frequency range isn't very wide.
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Check out the Bing carbon mic: Bing Carbon Microphones

For other lo-fi mics, I have messed around with carbon mic cartridges, crystal and piezo elements and various headbasket designs to change up the sound hitting the capsule. For example--a long tube before the capsule will make some obvious changes to the sound that could be something interesting.

Most of the time these weird microphones do not find a use for me and what I am recording, so I hate to put much money behind them. Every once in awhile though, they are EXACTLY what the artist is looking for and then they are very cool indeed.

Eventually I want to spend some more time with the various lo-fi mic capsules and try placing different sorts of balancing and amp circuits behind them to try and squeeze some more usefulness out of the things. I am thinking that is just what the people who make the Bing carbon mic and the Placid Audio people do.
Old 2nd July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I also had a friend who rigged an old telephone to a 1/4" plug and used it for DJing. Sounded awesome.
Old 2nd July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK ➑️
I also had a friend who rigged an old telephone to a 1/4" plug and used it for DJing. Sounded awesome.
Did the same thing, but with a mic cut off an old automobile cb radio and an xlr plug.

In my sig. line, it's used as the obviously effected vocal on my band page.
Old 3rd July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice! Cool music!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks!
bee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+1 for the shure green bullet!
Lives for gear

I have both copperphone and the bing carbon microphone. Like em very much, not so much for vocals though, but as drum (room) mics/instrument they are fantastic.

Insanely good looking too

/Jon
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Proud owner of all three Placid copper mics and the Bing Carbon... love the Copperphone harmonica mini and Shaker Retro Rocket for lofi vocals.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This makes me happy:

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hahaha... that's awesome! I've gotta' do that... heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow never seen one with an XLR jack! Thats awesome!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
lots of cheap old "hifi" etc mics that you can get for 1$ or little more have funny frequency responses
Old 4th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC ➑️
This makes me happy:

so pretty!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've got an EV 635a too, I love that little guy, though I don't use it terribly often. It's not really one I would call lo-fi. It's a far cry from a reference mic, but it's not going to get you a wacked out or antique kind of sound like a sweet Copperphone mic is.

I used a 635a for vocals in this song a band recorded here recently:
YouTube - ‪RECORDING: John The Conqueror "Ain't Comin Home"‬‏

Not the best example of the mics sound as it's going into a Studio Projects VTB-1 that it's distorting more than a little bit, but even with that, it's not something I'd call lofi. Definitely worth having though! Every once in a while it's just the ticket on electric guitar, or snare when the bleed situation can work.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1 635a over a drum kit = instant vintage breakbeats
πŸ“ Reply