Lo-Fi Character Mics
Old 12th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Genius!
Old 30th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thinking about pulling the trigger on the wasapahone and their other mic the wasarocket. Any opinions? I have many lo fi mics, I just love the character and each is a little different, and usually inspiring. Also plan on getting the copperphone at some point.
Old 1st October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic ➡️
Thinking about pulling th etrigger on the wasap[hone and their other mic the wasarocket. Any opinions? I have many lo fi mics, I just love the character and each is a little different, and usually inspiring. Also plan on getting the copperphone at some point.
I have the Wasaphone. It's great. It has a weird, resonant, metallic sound to it. I was worried it would sound too similar to the green bullet harmonica mic I already have, but it's nothing like that. It's a very narrow bandwidth.
Old 3rd October 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
EV 635A, great mic!
Old 3rd October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Sugar ➡️
I have the Wasaphone. It's great. It has a weird, resonant, metallic sound to it. I was worried it would sound too similar to the green bullet harmonica mic I already have, but it's nothing like that. It's a very narrow bandwidth.
Sweet. I just ordered a Wasaphone and a Wasarocket. I think they'll have their own unique tone as I build my lo fi mic army.
Old 12th May 2019 | Show parent
BUMP....well I have very recently got into collecting old AKG and EV mics, and next pay, this thread talked me into getting the AKG d1000e instead of the AKG d200e. Tho that will be next. I heard the 200 is great for drums (lo fi) and I believe I saw a video where theres sort of a reverse proximity effect you could say. I will add I picked up an EV 664a and I am loving the lo-fi ness of that mic. Used it as a mono OH and worked well for the session. Also, the EV 635a is a must for all mic lockers.
Old 13th May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Mumbles ➡️
BUMP....well I have very recently got into collecting old AKG and EV mics, and next pay, this thread talked me into getting the AKG d1000e instead of the AKG d200e. Tho that will be next. I heard the 200 is great for drums (lo fi) and I believe I saw a video where theres sort of a reverse proximity effect you could say. I will add I picked up an EV 664a and I am loving the lo-fi ness of that mic. Used it as a mono OH and worked well for the session. Also, the EV 635a is a must for all mic lockers.
Frankie Mumbles---check this web sight out if you do not know about it. You might find some new ideas and inspiration:

http://www.coutant.org/contents.html
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That site made me hunt down a Pair of old EV38. They were not cheap.
Nakumatchi DM1000 was hard to find too.
Just need some PL10's and more ATM250's

note. these are not low fi.

If you want low fi, look for old Turner mic's

Last edited by elegentdrum; 13th May 2019 at 01:04 AM..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish ➡️
Frankie Mumbles---check this web sight out if you do not know about it. You might find some new ideas and inspiration:

http://www.coutant.org/contents.html
I appreciate that. I have seen that site on a few searches but I haven’t been on there yet. Thanks for the link.....this could get dangerous lol. (Well for the wife anyways lol)
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Addict

You want lo-fi? This baby has it. (See attachment)

I used to have a superlux d112c but it barely saw any use so I sold it. I never did understand why someone would pay double for the shure version - why buy an expensive version of a mic that sounds intentionally lo-fi?

Got some realistic pzms and they're pretty lo-fi too.

Tom mics can work well. Especially ones with particularly distinctive frequency ranges. I've had cool results running Tom mics directly into a guitar amp. In my case the Tom mic barely picked up anything above 10-12k anyway, even before the speaker filtering took place. Hit and miss though.

There's a grey area between useful lo-fi and useless cap you find an excuse for keeping round the place 'just in case'.
Attached Thumbnails
Lo-Fi Character Mics-s-l300.jpg  
📝 Reply