Quantcast
Lo-Fi Character Mics - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lo-Fi Character Mics
Old 14th July 2011 | Show parent
bee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been listeneing to various clips of the 635a and that thing rocks!
Utility Devices

🎧 10 years
I've got an EV600C which is pretty sweet. I think it's 1940s but can't find much information on it. Lovely sounding and crystal clear. I also had an old plastic Oktava from the 1970s which was great for rough vocals.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsi ➑️
op is looking for a lo-fi vibed mic, not a colored one as the other thread was headed...

I would love to have one of those Astatic D104's (old ham radio mic) wired to record, not sure of the wiring schematic to have it working as a recording mic...those mics had some serious charater
I had a D104...just so you know, the old crystal mics are going to be hard to find in working order. The elements are pretty fagile and don't like to be banged around. So if you are ebay'ing it, expect it not to work when it arrives. However, replacent crystal elements are pretty inexpensive through Mouser/Digikey. Just pop in the same diameter element. I recently made a harp mic out of an old wire recorder mic with the replacent element and it works great.

For offbeat vibe/color I have be pairing DIY speaker mics made from vintage tweets and mids...they are a lot of fun to work with.
Deleted 1846071
Akg d1000e
Old 15th July 2011
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Lo-Fi Character Mics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz
Akg d1000e
Plus one. I recently got this and it is a very cool low fi flavor.
Old 10th February 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
One of my favorites is the Sony Variety Microphone ECM-V1 as used by Mario Caldato Jr/the Beasties it's a bad distorted novelty mic with built in pitch shift fx. I believe they plugged it straight into the board with no preamp.
ECM-V1 SONY Variety Microphone - YouTube
a lot of these 'karaoke' sort of mics have wired in 1/4" leads but mic level imp. so i use a 1/4" to xlr converter and plug it into an xlr input.

toy karaoke machines are great too, the ones with the built in speaker and mic... just crank the mic volume and record the speaker.

One that i really like for the antiquated Joe Meek kind of sound is the Reslo Ribbon, although i think mine is sorta broken and that might be what i like about it.

I love the sound of old cheapo harmonica/bullet mics, but to get it to sound blown out (a la Jon Spencer or Jack White) you've gotta plug into an amp, hold it right up to your mouth and cup your hands around it. record the amp not the mic. if you're not going to amplify it get one with mic-level imp like the turner 22x.

plugging a pair of headphones into a mic input and singing into that is a great lo-fi vocal sound, especially if you overload the level. in fact one of my favorite ways to distort a vocal is to just plug any dynamic mic into an old cassette portastudio and crank the input level as high as it goes. then dump it back into pro tools or whatever and sync up. i usually go for a shure 55 'elvis mic' when doing this, but have had great results with a 57 or even a pair of headphones!

and yeah, there's also megaphones/telephones/walkie-talkies/broadcast mics... they are all somewhat different colors.

i have always loved the cosmonaut voice plugin, tho it immediately calls to mind that Spiritualized song so i try not to use it on vox. i know this thread isn't about plugins but it's a really lovely plugin that exists specifically to do this sort of effect. I haven't used it but i think The Kings Microphones from Waves/Abby Road is another.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross ➑️
I get a lot of use out of the EV 635a too, but I don't think I'd consider it a "lo-fi character mic". It's more of a lower-fi character-less mic; its colorations seem to be more of omission than comission.
I wouldn't even go so far as to call it low(er) fi. It rolls off in the high end, but otherwise quite flat and relatively low noise. I know of quite a few Nonesuch CD's that use it as a location mic (or the re50, same mic with a wind screen). It's also still a staple for broadcast.
Old 10th February 2012
Subscribed!

Keep it coming
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 1846071 ➑️
Akg d1000e
+1000 !

Also AKG d125 ! Both great and vintage. The AKG d1000e is like a smooth sm57 but the AKG d125 is incredible for harmonica and blues vocals.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I just picked up a Shure 520D (not the new ones with the volume knob) and it sounds great! Only problem is it's omni, which means it loves to feedback in live situations. But it has THE sound!
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
find this and then love it on plinky instruments

http://es.shure.com/idc/groups/publi...o_516eq_ug.pdf
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng ➑️
find this and then love it on plinky instruments

http://es.shure.com/idc/groups/publi...o_516eq_ug.pdf
Whoa! I've never seen anything like that! What a fun mic!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
"Whoa! I've never seen anything like that! What a fun mic! "

and it truly rocks - with the eq flat, it's sorta like a thinner 57 - the different eq switches give you odd eq slopes that work miracles on plinky things like mandolin or portuguese guitarra - especially through a transformer-based preamp. Shure had another model - a "professional" model - never saw them, but they're probably more-or-less identical. these were built for tape decks, tho they have XLR ends. they're rare, but CHEAP when you can find them - i got TWO, with their original Hi-Z cables, a plastic Shure case and their original yellow windscreens (crumbling) for $60. SCORE.
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
RCA 50A best lofi, really cool sounds from it
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm a fan of cheap mics..... good job really as I can't afford many expensive ones.

I didn't pay more than Β£20 for any of these and I use them alot, the Aiwa is great on snare and SM57 type applications

The aforementioned EV 635a but mine is called a PL5 which made it even cheaper, the "Bomb" on the right is very cool on guitar paired with a LDC.

The Telefunkens on the right do electric guitars well, and the little Sennheiser is great on hi-hats.

The two on the left are cheap hifi mics and the grey one was my main Harmonica mic for years.

The Calrecs all came cheap to me but don't sound it and weren't when they were new, the Acos sounds really odd, and of course the reslo is not exactly pristine sounding.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng ➑️
"Whoa! I've never seen anything like that! What a fun mic! "

and it truly rocks - with the eq flat, it's sorta like a thinner 57 - the different eq switches give you odd eq slopes that work miracles on plinky things like mandolin or portuguese guitarra - especially through a transformer-based preamp. Shure had another model - a "professional" model - never saw them, but they're probably more-or-less identical. these were built for tape decks, tho they have XLR ends. they're rare, but CHEAP when you can find them - i got TWO, with their original Hi-Z cables, a plastic Shure case and their original yellow windscreens (crumbling) for $60. SCORE.
SCORE indeed! i've gotta check this thing out.
Old 26th April 2012 | Show parent
bee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So what other crappy mics are currently in production other than the green bullet and copperphone?
Old 26th April 2012
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
You could make one! I made this out of a pair of computer speakers that cost $12. Plug it in to a Sansamp to drive it or a Neve DI, sounds plastic an hollow but gives and instant dirty PA sound almost like a drive though.
Attached Thumbnails
Lo-Fi Character Mics-sonyspeakermic.jpg  
Old 26th April 2012 | Show parent
bee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooYoungForThis ➑️
You could make one! I made this out of a pair of computer speakers that cost $12. Plug it in to a Sansamp to drive it or a Neve DI, sounds plastic an hollow but gives and instant dirty PA sound almost like a drive though.
Very cool idea!
Old 19th June 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Little Wasaphone Mic

I grabbed a Wasaphone I off eBay really cheap and it is killer. Brilliant on vocals and you get a really interesting tone when mic-ing up a cab. Think they're pretty new but worth a look:

Wasaphone - Home
Old 19th June 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Really REALLY enjoying an A-Static D104 Crystal Mic I bought at a yardsale
The Astatic D104 has a crystal element and it's a communications microphone so it's not exactly hi-fi, but very different sounding than a dynamic. If you like it, try an old Astatic WR-20 or WR-30 which were professional broadcast mics having crystal elements with better frequency response. But don't overpay. Some people charge an arm and a leg for them because they have become collectable. Astatic also made the model 77A which was an early dynamic microphone that has an interesting sound.
Old 21st June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Built in mic on MacBook Pro. Overload it a bit... Sweet overdrive sound. I've used it a few times now.
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
You've got to check out the Soviet-era Octava MD-200 -- those are a killer mic. They are very rolled off in the bottom end but have a really sweet midrange and a smooth top end -- fantastic on vocals and also perfect for Bluesy electric guitar. Most guitar recording you end up rolling off bottom end anyway. I have two of them and really use them a lot. They come with DIN connectors which are easily changed. You see these on eBay quite a bit.

I also have the MD-201 which I believe is the same thing internally but in this hand-held shape:
Old 21st June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Made this one. Nice and lo-fi.
Attached Thumbnails
Lo-Fi Character Mics-image_8798.jpg  
Old 23rd June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
80's era Peavey SM58 knock off on loud rock guitar is killer
Old 24th June 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Wright-Zimmerman Model 300 Dynamic mic, a little round "cookie" shaped thing, turns outs its a "Pillow-Speaker", you were supposed to put it under your pillow to listen to it at night. It sounds "hollow" and wants to feedback. I did a noise recording once where I just dragged it along my desktop, with some echo after it. Trippy as hell...
Old 24th June 2014
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold ➑️
Really REALLY enjoying an A-Static D104 Crystal Mic I bought at a yardsale, Circuit Bent Telephone (carbon mic), Shure 550L Dispatcher Mic, etc Any other really low fi mics you can recommend? Maybe a green bullet or similar? Altec salt shaker?
You know, when I saw this thread, this is the mic I immediately thought of before I even clicked... My dad has one of those for his old CB... I wanted to somehow wire it to an xlr cable connector, but never did... As electrical stuff isn't my forte.
Old 12th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz ➑️
Made this one. Nice and lo-fi.
I have a phone that was converted into a mic too. The tech permanently soldered a mic cable to it & used silicone to seal it up where it attaches & goes into the phone. Not the best job but it's pretty clean & looks badass when someone is holding it & singing or rappin' thru it. Can't remember if he replaced the capsule inside of it or not. Anyway it sounds kool, but doesn't sound like a phone tho. Still useful. I'll have to take a picture of it.
Old 12th July 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
You can also find some very cool mic's checking out vintage Ham Radio mics.

I've also run my old AKG C-1000 through my Digitech Valve FX Tube guitar preamp/processor with great success.

In general running through a tube preamp can give you results quite similar to running through a tube condenser.

A big YES on the AKG D-1000e

Great mic for guitar cabs, used extensively on the road and here in my project studio.
Old 12th July 2014
Attached Thumbnails
Lo-Fi Character Mics-image_2448.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply