Home Recording Scenario...? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Home Recording Scenario...?
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Home Recording Scenario...?

Allo all,

I'm throwing this out for perusal, discussion, advice, etc. I'm going to Miami to visit a friend, and there'll be a record-making session or two in a living room while there.

I'm thinking the following as a loose plan, and not married to it: We're going to have a trio set up in a living room: Drums, bass and guitar. I want to do a standard mic-the-cab for guitar, kick/snare/OH omni for drums (mix to mono), and bass through a small amp, mic'd and DI'd. We're going to 'keep it real', as it were.

We'll do some overdubs featuring banjo, guitars, vox, harp, etc.

I have in mind to use a cassette 4-track with a phantom-power supply and some decent mics. My thinking is to record to cassette, then run the recorded tracks into a computer. We'll have a simple monitoring and mixing set-up via a Tascam US-428, and use Cool Edit Pro to mix in. That's it.

Now my friend wants to consider using a digital tracker with a mixing surface- like a Tascam 788, Fostex VF-160, etc. I know how to use the 788, but we'd need to find one with the CD burner (I no longer have this device).

One consideration is going to be that the drummer is a young dude who has "Downs Syndrome". He can play a better rock beat than a lot of gigging drummers I know- honestly- but can't keep it going for very long. We're going to need some time correction/alignment feature, so mixing in a computer will be a real good idea I think. We might get a little help from someone who has Protools, or I can just do it in Cool Edit, more or less manually. I'm pretty handy with CEP, so we'll see.

So anyhow you get the picture- nothing fancy, but good signal and good performances caught on cassette or HD, mixed in-the-box with ability to correct or loop part of a performance as needed. And in general, the fewer cables and routing schemes the better I would say, unless something seems like a real good idea!

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If you're going to be doing lots of edits on the drums it'd probably be less suicide-inducing to skip the 4-track altogether and rent an interface and go straight into Cool Edit. Track your drums with DIed bass and then overdub after you finish your drum edits.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Could go straight into the US-428 I suppose, and skip the tape. Either way, DI'd bass might be good, actually- but I'm not sure how to get around the guitar. I don't want to steal the 'liveness' of the sessions.

Hmmm... maybe studio time, in this light, is advantageous, for all the most obvious reasons. But I don't think we're going to do that.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
DI the guitar and then reamp it?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C ➑️
DI the guitar and then reamp it?
Like Sam Adams says, ALWAYS a good decision.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
We're going to be streamlining as much as possible so we don't get bogged down with tech- and get more time for performances. I think I'm just goin to put the guitar amp in another room and mic it there. A little bleed might be alright- it is the Blues, after all...

I do hear the suggestion though, thanks.
πŸ“ Reply