🎧 15 years
^ same circuit board components?
Old 10th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by moracspace ➑️
I can get this exact mic without the blue light.You just have to search
...you have obviously "searched", so what's the result?...where and for how much?...
Old 13th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So in everyone's opinions that has had both the KEL or well known SM7B?

One thing, would a peluso LE 47 be noticeably different (better) over these 2 mics? Or sound the same other then expensive parts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by keano ➑️
So in everyone's opinions that has had both the KEL or well known SM7B?

One thing, would a peluso LE 47 be noticeably different (better) over these 2 mics? Or sound the same other then expensive parts?
It would be better
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I haven't heard the Peluso mic, so I can't comment on better or worse...

But as noted in another post, I've got the HM7u and the SM7b.

They are nearly completely opposite microphones to be honest.
The HM7u is a brighter, airier, condenser..

The SM7b is a darkish, lots of low mids, smooth dynamic mic..
Both mics are pretty smoooth compared to some other cheap choices..

The two are a great compliment to one another in my opinion...
that's why I have both. If I had to pick just one, I'd probably pick the sm7 as it's probably the most versatile mic in my small collection.

It's nice to have both... The hm7u handles really tender vocal duties..
If I'm layering vocals, or doubling vocals.. the sm7b takes the chore..

Both mics also work in different situations for mic'ing acoustic guitars, drums, etc..

For what it does, the SM7 is just about un-beatable.
But it's worth noting that it isn't the "end all and be all" mic that it sometimes made up to be... it's just solid, and reliable..

There are people who choose the SM7 for vocal duties over the best vocal mics in the world sometimes.. It's also a solid, professional choice for musicians who need to spend less on a microphone and use their budget elsewhere. A project studio's best friend'' because most of us are buying multiple pieces and in honesty... have to go on the cheap somewhere to splurge in other places.
Old 21st May 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I try the hm-7u on a 12 strings guitar and the result are pretty good with a solid low midrange and not too bright(i try the audio technica 2020...much too bright on this application)But the blue led is flashing in and out but fortunately, it doesn't change the sound ...ouff!!
Old 11th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
SE2200A vs KEL hm7U

Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Addict

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
here's some info that people may find interesting- kel get a good rap here at gearslutz, but did you know they are made at 797 audio china? the same manufacturer that makes the studio projects line of mics.
the innards of a kel hm1 look VERY smilar to the sp b1!
correction here, thanks to kidvbes-

"...you probably gleaned that info from some older, outdated posts speculating as to similarities between the SP B1 and the KEL HM1...that info has since been corrected...KEL mics are not made by 797Audio, but rather Shengke/TongXin (China)...and the HM-7U uses a single-sided K47-style capsule, not manufactured by 797Audio (the SP mics use K67-type capsules)..."

but which is better? ive compared both and they sound different, but i wouldnt say one is 'better' than the other. is the kel 'warmer'? dunno about that. maybe a little less bright is more the word. however the brightness is what gives the sp 'c' series that pro sounding sheen that really works for me.
if i was recording pop, rock, electronica, or any forward thinking music i'd buy sp. folk, blues etc? i'd definately look at kel!
i like a smooth, in your face pop vocal- the studio projects c1 and especially the t3 are absolutely awsome to my ears. and yes ive used a u87 and c12... if i could afford those mics i would buy them, however until then i'll take sp OR kel any day.
my 2 cents.

Last edited by andrew caramia; 2nd March 2012 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 2nd March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew caramia ➑️
here's some info that people may find interesting- kel get a good rap here at gearslutz, but did you know they are made at 797 audio china? the same manufacturer that makes the studio projects line of mics.
the innards of a kel hm1 look VERY smilar to the sp b1!
...you probably gleaned that info from some older, outdated posts speculating as to similarities between the SP B1 and the KEL HM1...that info has since been corrected...KEL mics are not made by 797Audio, but rather Shengke/TongXin (China)...and the HM-7U uses a single-sided K47-style capsule, not manufactured by 797Audio (the SP mics use K67-type capsules)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew caramia ➑️
if i was recording pop, rock, electronica, or any forward thinking music i'd buy sp. folk, blues etc? i'd possibly look at kel.
...it should be noted that KEL mics are designed by bluegrass aficionado, musician/engineer Kelly Dueck, who wanted to coordinate a line of microphones that would do justice to the natural, earthy, roots tones of bluegrass music (unhyped, but very accurate sounding)...excellent products from a talented gentleman...highly recommended!
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
... and someone resurrected a 3 year old thread, why?
Old 10th January 2013
Gear Maniac

how does it compare to the AT 4047?
Old 6th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
For those of you who have an HM7U lying around and are feeling adventurous: try removing the inner wire mesh from the headbasket. Sounds much more open, and clearer. Paired with a CAPI VP28, it's a real champ.
πŸ“ Reply