Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla ➑️
Cool

I like yer song.. interesting vocal style. Glad yer diggin' the 7U
Thanks dude, glad you dig it. Just to advocate the Gauge mic a little bit as well, here is the other track we did this weekend, with the Gauge mic used for the acoustic on this song as well as the Kel on vocals...

Not bad for a cheap mic locker! Again rough mix...
Attached Files

Creator 1.mp3 (5.22 MB, 470 views)

Cool, thanx a lot for the samples! The more samples the better. I love the fact that it's not an overly sibilant mic at all.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by watersedge1234 ➑️
Just got my Kel HM7u and put it to work this weekend. Kel was used on lead vocals in this song, please disregard the mix as it is rough at this point (this is an electric song, the acoustic is just scratch). I love this mic, sounds great!

As you can tell, there is very little "chinese" sizzle. The main vocal has not been eq'ed in any way, but does have a small amount of digi comp on it...
heh ...enjoyed the tune! I like the Kel a lot, too! What was the rest of the vocal chain? Thanks for posting. The more clips I hear of the Kel mics, the more I am tempted to buy one.

http://www.myspace.com/lejaz
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks dude, glad you dig it. Just to advocate the Gauge mic a little bit as well, here is the other track we did this weekend, with the Gauge mic used for the acoustic on this song as well as the Kel on vocals...

Another groovy ditty my man... nice work. I'd say the mic is definitely workin' for ya' thumbsup
See I think the mic works better on his voice than mine... sheesh.
Gear Maniac

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz49 ➑️
heh ...enjoyed the tune! I like the Kel a lot, too! What was the rest of the vocal chain? Thanks for posting. The more clips I hear of the Kel mics, the more I am tempted to buy one.

Le Jaz on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Thanks guys, I can't take credit for the vocals, but I will take any and all guitar/tracking/producion/mixing credits

The Kel was ran to an Onyx board and then sent via balanced lines to a 003, so nothing special at all. I'm pleasantly surprised with the raw tracks, as the tracking was done in a constricted, untreated space (a hallway/classroom at Ohio State). It was a pretty subpar space and was setup very strangely (like when I got there the buffer settings were at 512 for their "tracking" station...). I'll try to remember to drop the finished tracks into the thread once its done to show what the Kel can sound like in a completed mix also...

Wish I had a 2d to try on his voice also, I bet that would've sounded even better...guess it's time to crack open the old piggybank...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'll try to remember to drop the finished tracks into the thread once its done to show what the Kel can sound like in a completed mix also...
That would be awesome. Always good news when folks can make good music with low end gearheh
http://www.myspace.com/lejaz
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

I'd like to hear a mix with the vocals more upfront or just the vocal track.

what pre did you use?
Gear Maniac

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt ➑️
I'd like to hear a mix with the vocals more upfront or just the vocal track.

what pre did you use?
This version puts the vocals more where they should be, as well as a lot of stops to get a feel for the vocal by itself.

Onyx pres...
Attached Files

Creator 2.mp3 (5.22 MB, 442 views)

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Woohoo! That grooves!

Oh, and the mics sound dandy.

Quote:
This version puts the vocals more where they should be, as well as a lot of stops to get a feel for the vocal by itself.

Onyx pres...
What's your vocal chain?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Onyx pres...
Great song! Reminiscent of the Talking Heads.

For my money, the vocal sounds slightly honkey, although not really in a bad way. I suspect this mic is more of a specialty item than an all-arounder. I have a Peluso 2247 non-LE (live and learn) and it sounds great on a hoarse singer with a blown out voice - imagine Rod Stewart or John Mayer - but for a normal voice it just gives you too much midrange. If I didn't have the Peluso, I'd definitely get a HM-7u. Kudos to them for coming up with such a cool mic.

(Disclaimer - the Peluso 2247LE has a much more balanced sound, and shouldn't be confused with the non-LE model.)
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan ➑️
Great song! Reminiscent of the Talking Heads.

For my money, the vocal sounds slightly honkey, although not really in a bad way. I suspect this mic is more of a specialty item than an all-arounder. I have a Peluso 2247 non-LE (live and learn) and it sounds great on a hoarse singer with a blown out voice - imagine Rod Stewart or John Mayer - but for a normal voice it just gives you too much midrange. If I didn't have the Peluso, I'd definitely get a HM-7u. Kudos to them for coming up with such a cool mic.

(Disclaimer - the Peluso 2247LE has a much more balanced sound, and shouldn't be confused with the non-LE model.)
The honk you are hearing could be the comp on it, I like vocals to be pretty punchy so I pulled the attack back to around 40ish ms.

The sibilance is a bit strange on this mic, but it handles it in a more pleasing manner than most mics in it's price class if you ask me. It trumps my 4040 ten fold...

I still wish I had the 2d as well, I think that would've worked even better on his voice.

Chris- The vocal chain was a Mackie Onyx pre to a digi 003...untreated room with an AKG pop filter...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The honk you are hearing could be the comp on it, I like vocals to be pretty punchy so I pulled the attack back to around 40ish ms.

The sibilance is a bit strange on this mic, but it handles it in a more pleasing manner than most mics in it's price class if you ask me. It trumps my 4040 ten fold...

I still wish I had the 2d as well, I think that would've worked even better on his voice.

Chris- The vocal chain was a Mackie Onyx pre to a digi 003...untreated room with an AKG pop filter...
Yeah.. I think a HM-2D would work really well on your guy's voice
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sibilance - Is this the Gauge mic on Creator? Sounds great! The singer has a smooth voice

It could well be the Onyx pre. On my recent recordings I have found it can accentuate sibilance more than other pres (I really like the Onyx' clarity though). Anyway the essssses don't bother me on this recording

Awesome sounding recording! A nice wall of sound with total clarity and cohesion thumbsup

Fun song!

Not to get OT - but how did you record the drums?

Mics/pre?

Overheads vs room vs close mics

Very natural up-front 3D sound!

you'll love the HM-2D I reckon
Gear Maniac

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➑️
Sibilance - Is this the Gauge mic on Creator? Sounds great! The singer has a smooth voice

It could well be the Onyx pre. On my recent recordings I have found it can accentuate sibilance more than other pres (I really like the Onyx' clarity though). Anyway the essssses don't bother me on this recording

Awesome sounding recording! A nice wall of sound with total clarity and cohesion thumbsup

Fun song!

Not to get OT - but how did you record the drums?

Mics/pre?

Overheads vs room vs close mics

Very natural up-front 3D sound!

you'll love the HM-2D I reckon
Blast,

Nope, the Kel mic does the vocal work on both tracks, with the Gauge and a 414 on the guitar...again the mix is very rough, and is still waiting on electric/bass...

The drums were recorded in a very small space (not my choice) and were miked with a whole slew of different things. The school didn't have much of a mic closet so we ended up with an NT4 for OH's, 57 on snare, 414 on hat, RE20 on kick, Senn 865 on the top tom, I can't seem to recall the mid tom mic *it was the AT version of the Shure 98 type*, and a Cad 177 on the floor. No room mic was placed, as the room was god awful. All pres used in the session were off of the Onyx board.

For this song in particular the mix seems better off with the overheads pretty low as the room brought out the snare in a less than satisfactory way. Luckily the song has little cymbal work other than hat, which had a discreet mic on it. I'm pretty impressed with the results considering the limitations, in this sort of situation getting good close mic results is key!

In addition the drummer had just so happened to ask me how he should be playing in a studio setting, and he did a great job of taming the cymbals and playing consistantly. This really helped out with keeping the bleed to a minimum...

Sorry for the book, just trying to be thorough and answer all your questions

I'm actually thinking about returning the HM7u and getting an HM1 and an HM2 instead...the more I listen to the HM2 the more I like it...guess I was hoping for a bit more warmth out of the HM7.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
For me the HM7u works better than my HM2d for the vocals I have cut.....I own 4 different KEL's (HM1, Hm2d, Hm4 and HM7u) and if I wish I could do over again I would have returned the HM2d. The HM7u vox tracks were easier to get them to sit right in the mix than the HM2d....I have found other uses for the HM2d, but if I were to do over again, that (Hm2d) would be the one I would return....great voice over mic though !!!

David Blackmon
Sibilance can always be fixed with a De-Esser in the mix. if you're using proper settings with the HM-7U, you shouldnt have any sharp sibilance, depending on the singer of course.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC ➑️
Woohoo! That grooves!

Oh, and the mics sound dandy.
What he said

Sounds great with the vocal up more... I'm really liking what I'm hearin'.. I think the 7U is working great for your singer . The more I listen to this tune.. the more I'm diggin' it

Makes me wanna plug in my bass and play along with it

Last edited by GordZilla; 12th February 2009 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: typos
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I might add, that it's also a great example of Onyx pres doing yeoman service ... they definitely don't get enough love 'round here IMHO.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
WORD!
Gear Maniac

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for the compliments guys! Yeah the first mix I dropped on here was a headphone mix that I did at 5 in the morning haha...thus the reason why the vocals weren't sitting right. I do agree that the mic works well with his voice...I guess I was just hoping it would be a bit warmer than it is, but I could've always just moved the pop filter closer to the mic. The monitoring situation at the studio was pretty crazy, and the bass resonance in the room was completely insane so I unfortunately couldn't really tell if it was working in the configuration we had it or not. They had one of the monitors in the corner behind a 25 inch LCD and it really destroyed any abilty to hear accurately. Needless to say I'm glad to be back mixing on my yammys
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla ➑️
I might add, that it's also a great example of Onyx pres doing yeoman service ... they definitely don't get enough love 'round here IMHO.
Agreed...the Onyx pres with the hm-7u sound real good to these ears!
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
We have 3 sources for clips that we are comparing and each one sound inherently different. These sound good but the top still bugs me a hair (no offense). It is the roundest sounding clip yet. Chris's seemed a bit thin and the Kel site clips smacked me in the forehead with the high mid bump it displayed.

I keep wanting to hear a vocal that is up in your face, warm and doesn't poke your eye out and I haven't yet.

No offense intended.

I do want to hear more of the Kel2 though.
Quote:
We have 3 sources for clips that we are comparing and each one sound inherently different. These sound good but the top still bugs me a hair (no offense). It is the roundest sounding clip yet. Chris's seemed a bit thin and the Kel site clips smacked me in the forehead with the high mid bump it displayed.

I keep wanting to hear a vocal that is up in your face, warm and doesn't poke your eye out and I haven't yet.

No offense intended.

I do want to hear more of the Kel2 though.
I think the thinness can be avoided by adding 400hz after recording. Again it all depends on the song. I will be recording a full song with it and I'll post it here soon. I don't think you'll hear the high frequency crispness that you hear when vocals are raw. So much can be done after recording. Yes it isn't a Gefell or Neumann but for the price it's damn good. After editing, vocal mics can become unnoticeable.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
I think the thinness can be avoided by adding 400hz after recording. Again it all depends on the song. I will be recording a full song with it and I'll post it here soon. I don't think you'll hear the high frequency crispness that you hear when vocals are raw. So much can be done after recording. Yes it isn't a Gefell or Neumann but for the price it's damn good. After editing, vocal mics can become unnoticeable.
Sorry man. I do realize the processing that CAN be done. I did that a lot with my Cad Trions. I probably just need to be quiet. :O)

...BUT it is much easier with a good (not just OK) mic to start.
Haha, but I do agree that once it's recorded, there's not much you can do about the reproduction of the performance. It really depends on vocals really, and how good you can edit.
Gear Maniac

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry man. I do realize the processing that CAN be done. I did that a lot with my Cad Trions. I probably just need to be quiet. :O)

...BUT it is much easier with a good (not just OK) mic to start.
No offense taken, these were my thoughts exactly. Not that I mind the sibilance issues all that much, but was hoping the roundness was a bit more defined. I still think the kel is better than most in the price range though.
I do love the M-Audio Luna for RNB/Hip-Hop stuff, I don't know if the Kel would fit in there, unless it's for female vocals.
Old 10th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I stand corrected...

All,

I wanted to post a small update to my original review, just for clarity's sake.

It's now a few months later and I'm in the final stages of recording and mixing the solo record that I'd originally been working on. As I was going through initial mixing of a few songs with friends we (of course) came upon several different vocal takes. More than one time I've gotten the "wide-open eyed lookback" followed by an immediate "what microphone is that??" or "what just changed about the vocal sound?" type of question.

Honestly, I'd forgotten that I tried the HM7 on these songs... but during the mixing stages, it became very obvious to us that the HM7 flat out performed better then my SM7 on certain songs.

If you followed my original post I'd purchased it to get a mic of a different flavor and sound than the SM7 and to be honest... the mixes revealed that it works well in that application. It really sounds A LOT different than the thick sound of the sm7.

One person listening to the tracking actually told me "that's the best vocal sound that I've heard on your voice so far". (and I've recorded about 5 records with that person)

In the end.. I RE-PURCHASED THE HM7U.

There, I said it... I'm a fickle soul apparently.
I sometimes need something tender and airy... and the HM7U does that really well to my voice. Granted, it requires a little bit of eq (on my voice).

But after EQ, I couldn't be happier with the tracks I've gotten from it.

Hind-site really is 20/20 aye?? hehheh

All the best to all of you, -Aaron
πŸ“ Reply