Quantcast
Kel Audio HM-7U review - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kel Audio HM-7U review
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt ➑️
I like my 47. It is warm and has a touch of sheen on it. I find it takes EQ VERY well if you care to brighten it up and it never seems to have the chinese sizzle.
How does it compare to the Kel HM-7U? I did listen to the samples on Audio-Technica and the 47 sounds less sibilant than the 4033.

Should I get the 47 or the 4033?
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
How does it compare to the Kel HM-7U? I did listen to the samples on Audio-Technica and the 47 sounds less sibilant than the 4033.

hate to say it but it depends on what sound you want... Check out the AT samples and compare them to the Kel samples.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

...you already have the HM-7u...the 4047 is gonna sound very (VERY) similar...I actually bought my HM-7u from someone here on GS who sold it for exactly that reason (he already had a 4047)...sounds to me like you're gearlust is getting the best of you...relax...take a deep breath...exhale...now, isn't that better?...heh
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➑️
...you already have the HM-7u...the 4047 is gonna sound very (VERY) similar...I actually bought my HM-7u from someone here on GS who sold it for exactly that reason (he already had a 4047)...sounds to me like you're gearlust is getting the best of you...relax...take a deep breath...exhale...now, isn't that better?...heh
hehe, with the sizzle edge on the 7U, I don't see it but to each his own.

What is interesting to me is what Kel will make next... it could be interesting. I still have an interest in the Kel 2 or maybe a SM57 with a tranny... hmmm.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
hehe, with the sizzle edge on the 7U, I don't see it but to each his own.
...sizzle edge on the 7u?...no sizzle on my 7u...very smooth top end...I think that may be in the OP's tracks...the Kel mics don't have that trademark Chinese "sizzle"...a slight bump around 5k, but not overly pronounced...now that Gauge U87 copy...that's got the sizzle...
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Quote:
...sizzle edge on the 7u?...no sizzle on my 7u...very smooth top end...I think that may be in the OP's tracks...the Kel mics don't have that trademark Chinese "sizzle"...a slight bump around 5k, but not overly pronounced...now that Gauge U87 copy...that's got the sizzle...
I don't have sizzle on mine either, maybe you got a special mic haha.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Show us an unprocessed, unEQ'd track. I use an AT4047 exclusively at this point, due to budget. Nothing I hear on the Kel site or here sounds like it. I either hear a top sizzle on some or a strident high mid thing happening.

If you just want to look at vendor clips, listen to the amazing grace clip on AT's site and pair it against the Kel clip of the vocal and guitar. They are not even remotely in the same place.

I can't agree with you but I am happy to post clips with you for comparison.
Posting clips would definitely be sweet.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
chrislago what happened to those pre compressed and compressed samples of your voice on the Kel... Can you put them back up...I wanted to show my friend the Kel....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Show us an unprocessed, unEQ'd track. I use an AT4047 exclusively at this point, due to budget. Nothing I hear on the Kel site or here sounds like it. I either hear a top sizzle on some or a strident high mid thing happening.
Do they sound exactly the same?...probably not...do they sound similar?...some think so:
Kel hm-7u
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
anyone knows how the kel compares to the adk hamburg? i was originally looking to get an at4047, but the kel has me fascinated.

rich
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 ➑️
anyone knows how the kel compares to the adk hamburg? i was originally looking to get an at4047, but the kel has me fascinated.
rich
Quote from the Kel website:
"Your satisfaction is guaranteed for 21 days. If you decide you don't like what your Kel Audio microphone does for your music, return your mic within 21 days for a refund of your original purchase price."

...nothing beats using the mic in YOUR room, with YOUR preamps, YOUR DAW, and YOUR skills (or lack of...nothing personal of course )...nuff said?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvenom ➑️
chrislago what happened to those pre compressed and compressed samples of your voice on the Kel... Can you put them back up...I wanted to show my friend the Kel....
I just put the clip up again.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 ➑️

rich
The hamburg is a bit more beefy sounding, and has the sizzly top end that people complain about with chinese capsules... the hamburg would sound great, but is certainly 'essy' in my opinion so it's difficult to use on vocals.

The KEL HM7u is smooth, but doesn't have a huge beefy mid-low end like the hamburg.
The KEL has fewer low mids than the hamburg. Mine certainly has some sheen up top and a high-mid bump like someone else mentioned hearing...

Fwiw, I'm digging the KEL more as I've been using it in the last week..
it takes eq really well and really isn't sibilant at all. That's a GOOD combination for a condenser..

I've got a lot of boom in my voice... so lacking slightly in low-mids compared to other mics isn't really a problem.. in fact... it's preferred for the most part.

I like the way it sounds in the headphones while tracking vocals...
and I boost the low mids (about 2db) around 400 during mixdown... the vocals are then DONE.

Also, I find that I'm singing more in-tune while recording because I like the way it sounds in the cans.

I too am curious to see what else KEL has coming out...
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do they sound exactly the same?...probably not...do they sound similar?...some think so:
Kel hm-7u
LOL weird clip. Still happy to post vocals if you agree.
Quote:
Haha are you talking about my new vocal clip? It sounds good, ahhh. Yeah post some vocals.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
...yes, the clips are odd, but I was posting the thread link for the comments rather than those sound clips...
Just added 3 new clips with the Telefunken 12AX7.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Haha are you talking about my new vocal clip? It sounds good, ahhh. Yeah post some vocals.
No I'm not.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I bet these plugs are cracked.
Yeah... That was my gut feeling when I first saw this listing. Hard to believe that anybody selling a lower-budget mic (and likely ON a low budget) would include/give away all those plugs if they were legitimate... the T-Racks alone is over $300!
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Kel hm-7u

Here is a track with the 4047. I am up a bit close on it but even with roll off on the pre at 75hz, this has so much more weight than any track I have heard yet.

https://gearspace.com/board/3796275-post26.html

I just went back to Kel to hear the voice over clip and it does have some weight. More than the musical clips on the site or the ones posted here. What I hear is that it is not quite as much weight as the 4047 and the brightness in the mic is about 5 levels above my clip. That is likely the high mid bump you/we discussed. I am not knocking the mic. I just don't agree about their similarity. I like the warmth of the 4047.

I see people rave on the 4047 and then I see someone reputable slam it. There is not ONE mic that will please the masses. :O)

Cheers
Rob
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have played through both mics, 4047 and I own the HM-7u, though not through my own rig for a/b comparison. There are enough differences that my next mic purchase will more than likely be a 4047. My impression is that the 4047 is flatter
on the top end in some respects. What I really dig about the HM-7u is the fact that through my mic pres (Hamptone HVMP2 and Sebatron VMP 4000e), the KEL has a beautiful top end boost without harshness. This is a quality I find hard to find in my bottom feeder cheap ass madness. Both mics have nice lower mids or girth but they are different in that area in some weird way too.
YMMV

David B
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Chris - sorry to be OT but this is what the HM-2D sounds like on me:

KEL HM-2D with Chameleon Labs CL7602
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➑️
Hey Chris - sorry to be OT but this is what the HM-2D sounds like on me:

KEL HM-2D with Chameleon Labs CL7602
Nice Blast9!
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A final review (this is officially a LONG post)

I finally got a chance to REALLY demo the thing, try it on a few voices and most importantly to me... try it on my own voice. I have an sm7 and have been attempting to get a complimentary mic to it for 'more tender' vocal mic duties. I'm pretty much always using Great River NV pre's for crucial tracks and monitoring via ns10's in a well treated room.

After a LOT of a/b tests, I felt that the SM7 was better in almost every vocal application... on my voice. I'm sending the KEL back.
I'm pretty certain that I'll be in the minority and am the only person I've heard say that they're going to return theirs. I might end up exchanging it for HM1's or maybe an HM2??

I will say, it does do something special on female vox... but I don't record female vox too often.

Surprisingly, it wasn't the 'beef' of the mic that I didn't like... the mic has a bit of 'honk' on about the 4-5k range that helps to make the low mids (400hz or so) seem much less-existant. So while it has a lot of low end, it isn't the good type of low end on some vocals.. it's too low in the range.. it's mostly "boom".. that's just my opinion.

In fact, with the highpass engaged.. the mic loses almost all of it's 'weight' and becomes quite crisp and somewhat 'hollow' sounding (as someone here already noted). The mic does take eq really well, which impressed me... so with a little addition around 400hz... the mic certainly is capable of recording useable and VERY good sounding tracks. Initially with a little 400hz added I did think it was going to be a great compliment to the SM7 as is witnessed by my earlier posts.

One big thing in it's favor is that at no point did this mic ever display the painful, distortion-like sibilance that is so common in these cheaper chinese manufactured mics.
I was very impressed with this part of the mic. I could honestly see some ears not liking the dry and direct sound of the sm7 and flat out LOVING the HM7u.

In fact, the female vocalist that I demo'd each on flat out hated the dry sound of the sm7 and loved the more wet, room gathering sound of the HM7. She noted that if she recorded herself singing more often that she'd certainly consider purchasing the mic for herself.

Another thing in it's favor is the actual weight of the mic is rather light. That might not be a +/- in most peoples books, but... this essentially allows it to be held by just about any cheap mic stand. Which is an advantage over other cheap chinese mics that are 2-3 times as heavy and require a big, expensive mic stand to hold onto them properly.

Marks against it for me were the blue phantom light (some like it, some don't I guess?), and the general build quality. It's something I wouldn't have thought would be a problem at all, and something no one has talked about yet.. but my mic fit coarsley/strangely into it's suspension mount and would not accept a mic chord completely (you could plug the chord in and get sound and phantom appropriately but at no point could you actually get the mic chord to 'click in' and lock into the end of the mic) This is kind of a sticking point for me as one of the things I love about the sm7 is how it fits onto the mic stand and how easy it plugs in and how the plug end of the mic helps to keep the mic chord out of the way and running straight down the stand. Clean and easy.

After further review, the KEL ended up showing me once again.. how great of mic the SM7 really is. When listening to each mic, I didn't think that there was an application (including tender and more quiet vocals) that the KEL accomplished with better results than the SM7.

I know that there is a price difference between the two, and also that the SM7 ABSOLUTELY requires a high gain pre in order to run it... it needs almost 2x as much gain as the HM7 requires. Seriously.
So that should certainly be considered as if you're only using a cheaper pre the HM7 might actually be more easily used as proper gain structure can be more easily obtained.

In any case, this concludes my long-winded thoughts on the HM7.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere ➑️
I finally got a chance to REALLY demo the thing, try it on a few voices and most importantly to me... try it on my own voice. I have an sm7 and have been attempting to get a complimentary mic to it for 'more tender' vocal mic duties. I'm pretty much always using Great River NV pre's for crucial tracks and monitoring via ns10's in a well treated room.

After a LOT of a/b tests, I felt that the SM7 was better in almost every vocal application... on my voice. I'm sending the KEL back.
I'm pretty certain that I'll be in the minority and am the only person I've heard say that they're going to return theirs. I might end up exchanging it for HM1's or maybe an HM2??

I will say, it does do something special on female vox... but I don't record female vox too often.

Surprisingly, it wasn't the 'beef' of the mic that I didn't like... the mic has a bit of 'honk' on about the 4-5k range that helps to make the low mids (400hz or so) seem much less-existant. So while it has a lot of low end, it isn't the good type of low end on some vocals.. it's too low in the range.. it's mostly "boom".. that's just my opinion.

In fact, with the highpass engaged.. the mic loses almost all of it's 'weight' and becomes quite crisp and somewhat 'hollow' sounding (as someone here already noted). The mic does take eq really well, which impressed me... so with a little addition around 400hz... the mic certainly is capable of recording useable and VERY good sounding tracks. Initially with a little 400hz added I did think it was going to be a great compliment to the SM7 as is witnessed by my earlier posts.

One big thing in it's favor is that at no point did this mic ever display the painful, distortion-like sibilance that is so common in these cheaper chinese manufactured mics.
I was very impressed with this part of the mic. I could honestly see some ears not liking the dry and direct sound of the sm7 and flat out LOVING the HM7u.

In fact, the female vocalist that I demo'd each on flat out hated the dry sound of the sm7 and loved the more wet, room gathering sound of the HM7. She noted that if she recorded herself singing more often that she'd certainly consider purchasing the mic for herself.

Another thing in it's favor is the actual weight of the mic is rather light. That might not be a +/- in most peoples books, but... this essentially allows it to be held by just about any cheap mic stand. Which is an advantage over other cheap chinese mics that are 2-3 times as heavy and require a big, expensive mic stand to hold onto them properly.

Marks against it for me were the blue phantom light (some like it, some don't I guess?), and the general build quality. It's something I wouldn't have thought would be a problem at all, and something no one has talked about yet.. but my mic fit coarsley/strangely into it's suspension mount and would not accept a mic chord completely (you could plug the chord in and get sound and phantom appropriately but at no point could you actually get the mic chord to 'click in' and lock into the end of the mic) This is kind of a sticking point for me as one of the things I love about the sm7 is how it fits onto the mic stand and how easy it plugs in and how the plug end of the mic helps to keep the mic chord out of the way and running straight down the stand. Clean and easy.

After further review, the KEL ended up showing me once again.. how great of mic the SM7 really is. When listening to each mic, I didn't think that there was an application (including tender and more quiet vocals) that the KEL accomplished with better results than the SM7.

I know that there is a price difference between the two, and also that the SM7 ABSOLUTELY requires a high gain pre in order to run it... it needs almost 2x as much gain as the HM7 requires. Seriously.
So that should certainly be considered as if you're only using a cheaper pre the HM7 might actually be more easily used as proper gain structure can be more easily obtained.

In any case, this concludes my long-winded thoughts on the HM7.
Wow! Thanks for your excellent, detailed, and HONEST review amigo

It does not diminish my opinion about the 7U, and I will definitely be keeping mine.... but is good to hear a straight-up, objective evaluation.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere ➑️
...actually, if you're looking for the SM7 "vibe" but your mic pres fall short of the 65dB mark, then the Kel HM-2d is a much better alternative...very similar voicing to the SM7, but with a bit more "air" and "openess"...

...that said, I'd add that the Shure SM7 is probably the "best-bang-for-the-buck" microphone money can buy...it competes in many applications with the most expensive and prestigious mics out there...I find, in my experience with these 3 mics, especially for vocal tracking, that both the Kel HM-7u and Hm-2d are excellent companion mics to the SM7, particularly when budget spenditures are an issue...
Eventually I'll get an sm7 because I think it would fit better for rock type vocals.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just got my Kel HM7u and put it to work this weekend. Kel was used on lead vocals in this song, please disregard the mix as it is rough at this point (this is an electric song, the acoustic is just scratch). I love this mic, sounds great!

As you can tell, there is very little "chinese" sizzle. The main vocal has not been eq'ed in any way, but does have a small amount of digi comp on it...
Attached Files

Comes from ground.mp3 (5.09 MB, 431 views)

Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by watersedge1234 ➑️
Just got my Kel HM7u and put it to work this weekend. Kel was used on lead vocals in this song, please disregard the mix as it is rough at this point (this is an electric song, the acoustic is just scratch). I love this mic, sounds great!

As you can tell, there is very little "chinese" sizzle. The main vocal has not been eq'ed in any way, but does have a small amount of digi comp on it...
Cool

I like yer song.. interesting vocal style. Glad yer diggin' the 7U
πŸ“ Reply