Kel Audio HM-7U review - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kel Audio HM-7U review
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler59
I find sound samples to be virtually worthless !! Way to many variables. I like the results I am getting with the HM-7u that is all that matters. KEL has a great return policy....get one and if it works for you keep it !!! Chris seems to know what he is doing....not my kind of music, but well done !! Go cat GO !!

David B
^ Wot he said thumbsup

I bought an HM2D on spec and kept it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm one of those that just can't get passed that shiny blue light thing. I can't imagine in a million years why, when they were designing that mic, they decided that would be a good idea, and worth the extra cost (to them).
I personally think it looks cool.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
I have never seen it in person, so I suppose I should save judgement for when and if I ever do. But looking at picture of it, I was always thinking... what is that? Seemed very out of place.

Maybe if I heard it I'd grow fond of it's blue-ness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip ➑️
I have never seen it in person, so I suppose I should save judgement for when and if I ever do. But looking at picture of it, I was always thinking... what is that? Seemed very out of place.

Maybe if I heard it I'd grow fond of it's blue-ness.
It makes the mic look professional. Clients have commented on how cool the mic looks, and I'd have to agree!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Same

At the end of the day.. I don't care if the mic has a flashing purple light, and is painted hot pink.... if it SOUNDS good... I'm in heh
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla ➑️
Same

At the end of the day.. I don't care if the mic has a flashing purple light, and is painted hot pink.... if it SOUNDS good... I'm in heh
Wow I would have loved a pink condenser haha. Better yet, would be so cool to have one with a pink led instead of blue. I'd probably pay extra for that.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wow I would have loved a pink condenser haha. Better yet, would be so cool to have one with a pink led instead of blue. I'd probably pay extra for that.
LOL I'll take green for go...haha heh
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
How does the Kel HM-2D compare to the SM7? I'm curious.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Going by the clips - they sound fairly similar, though the sm7 sounds a bit fuller.

As far as my experience with the HM2D and other LD dynamics, I prefer the HM2D to MD421.

It has a nice beefy "big" tone with a smooth treble rolloff

Sounds powerful on toms

Its got a slight 2k honkiness going on (you can see that in the graph) - I noticed this when A/B ing the mic with a U87, which sounded better on my voice.

however it still sounds good on my voice and acoustic gtr through a CL 7602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➑️
Going by the clips - they sound fairly similar, though the sm7 sounds a bit fuller.

As far as my experience with the HM2D and other LD dynamics, I prefer the HM2D to MD421.

It has a nice beefy "big" tone with a smooth treble rolloff

Sounds powerful on toms

Its got a slight 2k honkiness going on (you can see that in the graph) - I noticed this when A/B ing the mic with a U87, which sounded better on my voice.

however it still sounds good on my voice and acoustic gtr through a CL 7602
Is the U87 similar to the HM-2D?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
How does the Kel HM-2D compare to the SM7? I'm curious.
...the most obvious differences I have noticed (I use both for vocals) would be an "airyness" or "openess" that the HM-2d has...the SM7 is drier, and a bit less dimensional, but tends to be less effected by "the room" itself...the condenser mic is still more likely to define any deficiancies in the room than the dynamic mic...also, the HM-7d sounds as though it has already been EQ'd a bit to enhance bass...I'm going to try recording with both, simultaneously, so that I can blend the two tracks for the best of each mic...in my modestly treated room, the SM7 is still king!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➑️
...the most obvious differences I have noticed (I use both for vocals) would be an "airyness" or "openess" that the HM-2d has...the SM7 is drier, and a bit less dimensional, but tends to be less effected by "the room" itself...the condenser mic is still more likely to define any deficiancies in the room than the dynamic mic...also, the HM-7d sounds as though it has already been EQ'd a bit to enhance bass...I'm going to try recording with both, simultaneously, so that I can blend the two tracks for the best of each mic...in my modestly treated room, the SM7 is still king!...
Haha, then if I get some foam and put it behind the singer, I think it could clear the small reverb I am hearing from my room. It's really small though, I don't think it affects the recording much. I guess I'll buy the HM-2D then
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...just got off the phone with Kelly (at Kel Audio)...I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but there's a new mic coming very shortly (a week or two) that will surely be another worthy addition to Kel's arsenal of great "bang-for-the-buck" microphones...I can't say any more, but check their website for the announcement...heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
...just got off the phone with Kelly (at Kel Audio)...I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but there's a new mic coming very shortly (a week or two) that will surely be another worthy addition to Kel's arsenal of great "bang-for-the-buck" micrphones...I can't say any more, but check their website for the announcement...heh
NOT FAIR!! No teasing! A new SDC perhaps?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 ➑️
NOT FAIR!! No teasing! A new SDC perhaps?
...Kelly made me promise not to leak the details...but, all I can say is "I'm getting one when they offer the pre-release deal"...
That's good to know, what kind of mic will it be? Tube? LDC?
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I am a big fan of KEL audio (obviously !!! I talk it up maybe too much !!). The more I use the HM-7u the more I am really impressed with this mic. I am most definitely a bottom feeder though. There is a lot of bang for the buck these days no doubt. I just bought my HM-7u. My wife will shoot me if I get another mic....(not really, she is a musician too so she totally gets it !!! I am lucky and blessed).

David B
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's good to know, what kind of mic will it be? Tube? LDC?
...I've got to be discrete...but all I can say is that it sounds like something rather unique...quality like the HM-7u...I've said all I can say...it will be announced shortly...save your dollars! (I am)...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
...just got off the phone with Kelly (at Kel Audio)...I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but there's a new mic coming very shortly (a week or two) that will surely be another worthy addition to Kel's arsenal of great "bang-for-the-buck" microphones...I can't say any more, but check their website for the announcement...heh
Nice!!

I can hardly wait to see what Kelly has for us next.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
BTW.... Kel for Sale Alert!

There is a HM-2D up for sale on eBay
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla ➑️
BTW.... Kel for Sale Alert!

There is a HM-2D up for sale on eBay
Interesting... he's also throwing in a 'free' copy of Waves Mercury bundle and a bunch more! Nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 ➑️
Interesting... he's also throwing in a 'free' copy of Waves Mercury bundle and a bunch more! Nice.
Wow sweet, I might buy that one. I already have Mercury Bundle though haha.

Oh my and he's selling it from my former city... Wow memories.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
LOL

Yeah, he is selling all of that and highlighting the KEL as the featured product. uh-huh, you can get the mic and all those plugs for $38usd... riiiiiight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt ➑️
LOL

Yeah, he is selling all of that and highlighting the KEL as the featured product. uh-huh, you can get the mic and all those plugs for $38usd... riiiiiight.
I bet these plugs are cracked.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Is the U87 similar to the HM-2D?
No, not at all, but there happened to be one available to audition my voice on.

The U87 is such a solid, classy sounding mic... and look at the price tag!

Last edited by Blast9; 5th February 2009 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Typo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➑️
No, not at all, but there happened to be one available to audition my voice on.

The U7 is such a solid, classy sounding mic... and look at the price tag!
Ever compared it to the 4033? With Eq it sounds damn close to the U87.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Chris -

No, never used AT Mics, though I have heard them on live drums (the 4033)
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
AT Mics are great.....4033 is not my favorite....but for what you want it for it may well be the ticket !! 4047 is my favorite LDC they make....but I am not a U87 person either.

David B
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler59 ➑️
AT Mics are great.....4033 is not my favorite....but for what you want it for it may well be the ticket !! 4047 is my favorite LDC they make....but I am not a U87 person either.

David B
I like my 47. It is warm and has a touch of sheen on it. I find it takes EQ VERY well if you care to brighten it up and it never seems to have the chinese sizzle.
πŸ“ Reply