Quantcast
SM57 On Lead Vocals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM57 On Lead Vocals
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SM57 On Lead Vocals

Have any studio albums used this as their lead vocal mic? I was just listening to the cd mic shootout and I actually like the air and low end on the sm57 obviously not near the high end mics but liked it better than the sm7 and a lot of other mics. Doesnt seem to have a sock over the mic feel to it like a lot of the other low end mics.
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I hate to be "that" guy, but if you spend some time searching for SM57 you are going to find hundreds of threads talking about all it's applications, famous people who have used them, ect. ect. You will see people compare them to mics of similar price, more expensive. ect. You will end up learning a lot more from the many threads than what you could from this one.

Good luck

p.s. don't forget about the SM58 on vocals...plenty of threads about that one too.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sure lots of people have used the 57 and 58 for lead vocals.

A friend of mine who used to do a lot of Hardcore bands in the late 90s... he'd try using condensers or even dynamics on a stand, but the singers were always so physical, they'd move around like crazy, so the vocals would always come out sounding horribly loud soft loud soft.

So eventually he started just giving them an SM58 to hold in their hand the way they do on stage. They'd jump around, flex, and go as nuts as they wanted to. It's probably the only type of mic that would have worked in that kind of situation. The 58 is incredibly quiet even being held and jumped around with while recording too.

In any case, that's just one example where the basic Shure dynamic mic was the perfect (and only feasible) tool for the job. And without compromising quality.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
yeah tons on this

the very obvious 2 are bjork and bone both use sm58's i think the singer from filter used a 57 on title of record as well
Lives for gear

A 57 was the vocal mic on The Killers Hot Fuss album. Don't know if that was continued or not on their later albums but it sounds like it.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
PJ Harvey. A friend of mine recorded a bit with her and said nothing sounded like "her" except for when she was singing through a SM58.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'll often place a 57 alongside a LDC if the vocal is too clean for the track. I probably wouldn't choose a 57 over a 421 or an sm7b on a vocal... but without them out a singer I can't say anything for sure.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
57 with the transformer mod? Anybody before I just do it...

Matti
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C ➑️
I'll often place a 57 alongside a LDC if the vocal is too clean for the track. I probably wouldn't choose a 57 over a 421 or an sm7b on a vocal... but without them out a singer I can't say anything for sure.
Same thing here. Always have a sm57 above my LDC pointing on the nose of the artist. Often i blend them together and it give 7/10 times a little "extra" in the punch region.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The SM57 has been used on a ton of big-name vocals, most notably, Bono of U2. Flood said something to the extent of it sounding really bad (until properly mixed) but that it was worth it because of the vibe they were able to capture from Bono's performance.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE ➑️
The SM57 has been used on a ton of big-name vocals, most notably, Bono of U2. Flood said something to the extent of it sounding really bad (until properly mixed) but that it was worth it because of the vibe they were able to capture from Bono's performance.
Just a slight correction if my memory serves me correct I believe Flood specifically mentioned the 58.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian ➑️
A 57 was the vocal mic on The Killers Hot Fuss album. Don't know if that was continued or not on their later albums but it sounds like it.
His voice is always so processed that it wouldn't matter what mic was used. I love them and he writes great songs, but he isn't a big singer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTI ➑️
57 with the transformer mod? Anybody before I just do it...

Matti
How much you going to pay for this?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If you watch the Sacrament DVD (also ont he Walk with me in Hell DVD) by Lamb of God, you'll see Randy doing his vocals and switching between an sm7 and an sm57. Listen to the first track on Sacrament and most of the ending should be Randy with a 57 in his hand tearing it up
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
over the years on bout several hundrd songs its been 57 on my vocs.
i try other mics from neumanns on down but the ole 57 always drags me back.
for exampled recently tried a blue ball. then AT , ..the 57 keeps on sucking me back in.
on my motagator site lets see if the guru AE's can spot where i used neumanns n where 57's
on my daft songs..lol.
right now i'm rediscovering love..for a 57 into a cassette dek mic pre.
if any joker pooh poohs this idea...check out clips ive posted on gs or try your own.
vastly underrated imho.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SM57 for vox?

Shure.......why not?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
57 for vox

Its all up to taste. The 57 has the same capsule as the 58...and they both sound great on vocals. I prefer the 58 (I find the 57 to be a bit too trebly for my tastes)...and to take it up another notch...try a Beta 58. Heck...I use my Beta 58 on kick with a Crown PZM and it THUNDERS. Verdict: Any one of the Shure dynamics will be versatile, bulletproof and sound great.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➑️
Just a slight correction if my memory serves me correct I believe Flood specifically mentioned the 58.
You're right, actually, it was Kevin Killen that said it was the 57. Someone else said that there used to be a specific 57 they'd save for Bono. Flood did say 58. (Not that I think there's a big difference.)
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As far as Shure dynamics goes, this is pretty straightforward. The 57 and 58 are great on vocals, but there are better mics, the Electrovoice are great as well, so are Heil Sound, but I think the Shures are best value for money, especially the SM7b - I compared this to a few condensers - namely a Neumann TLM tube mic and a couple of high-end AKG mics, and to my ears the SM7b blew them away because it removed the room sound while still retaining some of the crisp articulation of the condenser sound. This was through an Apogee Ensemble interface connected to a Mac Pro.

As for Shure dynamics, it goes something like this:

SM7b > Beta58 > SM58

The SM58 is still very good, the Beta58 is quite a bit hotter than the SM58 and the sound isn't quite as veiled, but it's not as good as the SM7b when everything is leveled out. The SM7b is as smooth as butter especially on the low mids, the Beta58 is a bit edgy in the upper mids and the SM58 has the same warmth as the SM7b but is veiled in comparison to Beta58.

This sums it up. All of them are going to cut a great vocal track, but the choice is really about what you want for the sound. The SM7b can't be beaten for the quality vs price. It's frankly a bargain for doing serious vocals and it cuts the unwanted room sound out of the equation for the most part.

Ben
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've used a SM57 or SM58 on vocals with a decent preamp a number of times and it's always been great. I use it for the same reasons stated in this thread: if the vocalist is used to doing what he does live when singing, or if and LDC just doesn't "work" for the sound.

I did a metal project a couple of weeks ago and the vocalist just sounded too "nice" with an LDC, so I gave him a SM58 in his hand and he screamed his lungs out, giving me great performances. And in the end that tops everything anyway.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What's a SM 57?

heh
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_unit ➑️
What's a SM 57?

heh
I don't really know, I'm just playing along.
They call it "dynamic mike" so it must be a guy who's really exciting or something...
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pull the windscreen of of a 58 and you are good to go. The 58 has a little more body than the 57. I think a SM7 is a better and more versatile mic
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sm7 ftw, but i've had good results with a 57
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i prefer a 58 takes eq better
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the only difference between a 57, and a 58 are the wind screen.... if you dont believe me order some replacement parts..... they are the same...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpidge ➑️
the only difference between a 57, and a 58 are the wind screen.... if you dont believe me order some replacement parts..... they are the same...

yes i already know that but when the windscreen is on the trble boost at 10khz is not there like it is in the 57 all do to the windscreen but the 58 still takes eq better
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hell yeah!

57 with a nice pre is rocktastic
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I used to use an SM57 for everything. I switched to a large diaphragm condenser for a while, but I'm going back. Until that is, I can afford an SM7.
Old 6th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjaredcolbyx ➑️
I used to use an SM57 for everything. I switched to a large diaphragm condenser for a while, but I'm going back. Until that is, I can afford an SM7.
I usually save ALL my change, don't use coin star,wrap your change put it in a box somewhere throw a dollar bill in here and there and take the chance into a bank, thats how i got my first 57 when i was on a budget.
πŸ“ Reply