Quantcast
reguarding wav's and quality - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
reguarding wav's and quality
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
reguarding wav's and quality

ok, i have a simple question. My computer lags as i start to stack vocal tracks... so can i save the intrumental mixdown to one wav and import it to a new project and record vocals in the new project in order to conserve cpu usage? so this way i would have one wav with all the audio on it and then the vocal tracks...
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Yes you could do this but then when you mix it you wouldn't be able to change any of the individual elements of the instruments or drums just the different tracks of your vocals and one stereo track for the instruments and drums, I'm trying to think how much longer I can type without a period before the grammar police show up... wait oh ****, I gotta GO!!!
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
you could just bounce a sub mix (or bounce stems) in the same session then disable the original tracks. that way you still have all the tracks in your session.
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
or with cubase "freeze" the tracks with one click
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Well, if I understand you correctly yes you can & should.

Years ago, @ home I was working w/ an older G4 iBook w/ only a 1.07 processor & maxed @ 768MB of RAM. All was great because I used to just work on demos or editing @ home.

Until I took on a very large project that all 10 songs ended up needing about 40 tracks each. Needless to say, I was always sitting around upper 20's to the maximum 32 tracks @ the moment I needed to start recording vocals & my poor computer would behave so poorly unless the buffer was @ 1024 - which is unusable for recording vocals, of course.

My trick would be to buss all my tracks to a stereo audio track & record that, then I would make all the tracks except for that stereo track inactive. Now my computer would run like a dream for recording vocals. When I was done doing vocals, I would inactivate that stereo track & open up all the original tracks again & get back to mixing.

It was only a drag when the artist would ask if I could mute one of the elements in the mix, or make it louder or softer.

"Are you sure it's necessary for you right now? Ok, give me about 5 minutes first....."
๐Ÿ“ Reply