Quantcast
<500$~ Analog Compressor, recommend me one! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
<500$~ Analog Compressor, recommend me one!
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
<500$~ Analog Compressor, recommend me one!

Are there any worth getting? Any plugs that are commendable enough to substitute? IF there are none, what would you recommend me saving up for? The Waves bundle? Other Plugs? A quality compressor like a 1176 or a UA-LA2? Any advice is appreciated! =]
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yep.

ART makes a dern nice tube leveling amp.stereo.(or rather two channel)

i use mine for overheads on drums, and vocals before they hit the D/A.

Applied Research & Technology: Tube Mic Preamps
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Second hand Valley People Dyna-mite Savage!
Deleted 86c3d96
I have an Alesis 3636, but I am missing the power supply. I am not even sure that effects the sound quality.
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sure... there are plenty of compressors out there worth picking up under $500.

The RNC, the RNLA... They've got a new one out also..
I've heard good things about the ART....

These are all WELL under $500.

and there are plenty of useful plugs in that price range... too many to list.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
RNC1773. very transparent, very effective.

🎧 15 years
DBX 160a
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
FMR Audio PBC-6A Mono Compressor

People in the know seem to think this one FMR PBC-6A is the shizzle for the bucks !!

David B
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
There is a Valley People Dynamite in the classifieds right now at $350. This is an amazing drum-OH compressor and good on a variety of other sources. Incredible compressor. It's one of my favorites, I'd snag it if I didn't have one already.

It's two-channel, btw. GET IT!!!
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
DBX 160a
Tony,
what duties do you think the 160a is suited for. I see it popping up a lot lately but I haven't played with one or heard how people use it.
Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt ➑️
Tony,
what duties do you think the 160a is suited for. I see it popping up a lot lately but I haven't played with one or heard how people use it.
Thanks
putting it on kick drum or bass will make you think you are a genius. instant tightness.
i also really like the over-easy function coupled with the ratios above infinty:1.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Interesting, thanks for the tips!

Anybody have any specific things they like to use the FMR RNC on? Sub 200$ sounds too good to be true! Also, what about the DBX 160a? It seems tempting but I've heard some people hate on it. Anybody else have any experience with this particular outboard piece? Thanks again!

Edit: Also, how does the RNLA compare to them? It's only a bit more expensive, would it be better to go with it? Thanks!
Edit's Edit: Just found another thread comparing the RNLA and RNC. Think if I"d get one I'd go with the RNC to be able to use it onm ore sources since my compression tools are rather limited.

Anybody have any input as to what comps might pair well with the FMR RNC? I'd like something to take care of the spots where the RNC was lacking... maybe one that adds some nice width to drums/guitars tracks/etc? (1176.. oh why cant thou be cheaper!)
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
you can experiment with using the RNC on everything, ive never heard people agree on what its best on. most people cant get it to work on bass, but i had great successes with it as an insert on a bass amp for awhile, the list is endless.
personally i found the sony oxford dynamics sounded better and much more versatile for clean compression, but then i also found it better at times than the amek 9098 and thats in another class than an rnc. while the rnc is great for what it is for me it wasnt worth the money when a plug-ins in the same price range sounded better. for clean compression ill stay itb while for the certain sound of some units the A/D/A can be worthwhile.

160A/X/XT has a different sound, nothing ive heard matches its characteristics and it just is what it is. most of the bad words around here for the 160a is because some people will only use a 160x/xt just because its vintage. to me the bigger difference between the revisions is how you wire them and what you can get for a good price. its not the sound everyone wants and plenty of people would only choose it for certain things but you couldn't go wrong with it even if its what what you first think it will be.

if you want an 1176 look into building your own.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Tony,
Thanks
I've used them on lots of different things... any type of drum sounds or any source with a percussive nature (even rap vocals)... It doesn't have much control, and that is one of it's strong suits, but also it's weakness.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I paid under $500 for a Klark-Teknik DN500... I'd say that's certainly worth every penny (but good luck finding one, much less for $500).
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Tony,
Thanks
Sounds great on kick and snare.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Anybody have any recommendations for which of these hardware comps would be best to pair with the PSP Vintage Warmer (The only compressor I have atm)? From what I can tell, the Vintage Warmer is pretty uncolored, so I guess the DBX or the RNLA? Hmmm.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterbator ➑️
From what I can tell, the Vintage Warmer is pretty uncolored, so I guess the DBX or the RNLA? Hmmm.
I find the VW to be highly colored ... very useful on elec gtrs and snare.

Speaking of inexpensive analog comps, find yourself an Aphex Expressor
(model 651) .... excellent clean compression .... just does the job.

Mike
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeka ➑️
I find the VW to be highly colored ... very useful on elec gtrs and snare.

Speaking of inexpensive analog comps, find yourself an Aphex Expressor
(model 651) .... excellent clean compression .... just does the job.

Mike
Interesting! Haha, like I said it's my only compressor so haven't had much to compare it to =(. Thanks for your input! Really appreciate it. I'll check the Aphex out.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Got LunchBox..?.. Take a look at the Pico 500....
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You guys are going to laugh, but I think the dbx 266XL is pretty good on synths. I wouldn't use it on vocals, admittedly -- it's too severe for that. But if you've got an analog synth that needs to be duct-taped to the floor, the 266XL is just the thing.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Looked at the Pico, but I'm pretty terribad at Electronics (at least until I get some basic electronics classes under my belt), and can't seem to find any listing or mention of them being sold pre-made.

How is the ART Pro-VLA II? It looks perfect for my first outboard compressor... has an actual VU, 2 channels, all the controls are very nicely laid out and it looks nice to boot! How does it sound? Can't find too much mention of it on these forums w/ the search function, and some people have spoken badly of it.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Pro VLA is the first "true" compressor I owned and is the last one I'd ever give up, despite it's cost. It's easy to use, not nearly as colorful as some (I recommended the Valley, above -- much much more colored but sonically excellent) but perfect for a wider variety of uses. I use it on final mixes as a great 2-bus comp out of my computer, just give the right punch to certain things but not in an obvious way.

If you've never owned a physical compressor, get a VLA first -- you won't be sorry. Again, if cost were no object, the VLA would be the last thing I'd get rid of, seriously. You can swap tubes, btw ... I think I've got a pair of Mullards in there now, but the stock tubes are decent.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drycounty ➑️
The Pro VLA is the first "true" compressor I owned and is the last one I'd ever give up, despite it's cost. It's easy to use, not nearly as colorful as some (I recommended the Valley, above -- much much more colored but sonically excellent) but perfect for a wider variety of uses. I use it on final mixes as a great 2-bus comp out of my computer, just give the right punch to certain things but not in an obvious way.

If you've never owned a physical compressor, get a VLA first -- you won't be sorry. Again, if cost were no object, the VLA would be the last thing I'd get rid of, seriously. You can swap tubes, btw ... I think I've got a pair of Mullards in there now, but the stock tubes are decent.
Awesome, thanks for your input. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking to buy for my first outboard comp =].
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterbator ➑️
Looked at the Pico, but I'm pretty terribad at Electronics (at least until I get some basic electronics classes under my belt), and can't seem to find any listing or mention of them being sold pre-made.

How is the ART Pro-VLA II? It looks perfect for my first outboard compressor... has an actual VU, 2 channels, all the controls are very nicely laid out and it looks nice to boot! How does it sound? Can't find too much mention of it on these forums w/ the search function, and some people have spoken badly of it.
Hello. I think you can buy the Pico pre built if you contact Roger Foote on the Prodigy forums...Give him a PM and he normally gets back to you. If not there try Pico Compressor Circuit Boards and Kits Good luck..
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
+1 RNC. I use it on the master buss in super nice mode.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Interesting... I will have to check out the Pico. I'd have to buy a "lunchbox" to house it though, wouldn't I? I guess that's the "nice" thing about 500 series stuff... it may be kind of awkward sitting around my desk (unless I wing a rack mount or buy 2 RNC/etc..), but at least I don't HAVE to have a specific housing for it. (correct me if I'm wrong, haha).

I've also been wondering.... how are your experiences with the RNC/RNLA what with them having unbalanced I/O? I read on their home page that they recommend contacting the manufacturer of your interface/etc to ensure you don't cause any damage, but I assume this is mostly just a precaution since they don't want pissed off noobs (like myself!) sending them angry emails about things that went wrong due to a lack of understanding.

My interface is a Steinberg MR816x.. would I just be able to plug and play w/ TRS cables, or would I have to worry about anything? Thanks again!
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
RNLA...absolutely fabulous on kick, bass, guitars or the mix buss. Also a big +whatever for the RNC, the 160a and the VLA Pro...all fantastic compressors, all well under $500.

Frank
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Some on here say NOT TO TRACK WITH THE RNLA ON VOCALS?

why is that?

Tony do you think the DBX is better for rap vocals than the RNLA?

Would a waves api plugin or UAD plugins offer more shaping sound control character than
adding an external compressor?
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I track with the RNLA pretty frequently.

Frank
πŸ“ Reply