Quantcast
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!
Old 30th January 2009
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!

Is there a lower end mic that has a similar U87 style? I need a microphone for Rock vocals and I was debating between the Kel Audio Hm-1 and Gauge ECM-87. Please mention anything other than SM7, and if you do mention SM7, I want to hear a vocal sample! Actually any mic you mention would be great with a small reference work or vocal sample.

Here are the websites with samples:

Gauge Microphone (Claims to have a U87 style mic)

Kel Audio

I'm pulling towards the Gauge because I can get it for $100 usd new. Any thoughts? What are good alternatives to get a U87 style microphone?

I currently have a Kel Audio Hm-7U (K47 style capsule), M-Audio Luna and an ADK Generis.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Chris-
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How can you get it for $100 new? It is $149 on their website. I'm just wondering. I do want to hear that Gauge mic up against like a real U87 just for interests sake. I don't really need more mics but I haven't bought an LDC in years.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Gotta give the Guage guys credit for using "real world" gear in their shootout...

INSTRUMENTS

Yamaha FG-411 Acoustic Guitar ($299)

Live Wire Microphone Cable ($10)

Musicians Gear Pop Screen ($14)

ART Tube MP Microphone Preamp ($29)
I got a link to get it cheaper. Do you want it?

Yeah I was thinking about renting a U87 once I buy it, just to see the difference. On their website, I can tell that the lack of tube gives it a high frequency peak, but I figure that with a good tube preamp, I can get rid of the slight harshness.

Did you go on their website to hear the mic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran ➑️
How can you get it for $100 new? It is $149 on their website. I'm just wondering. I do want to hear that Gauge mic up against like a real U87 just for interests sake. I don't really need more mics but I haven't bought an LDC in years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC ➑️
Gotta give the Guage guys credit for using "real world" gear in their shootout...

INSTRUMENTS

Yamaha FG-411 Acoustic Guitar ($299)

Live Wire Microphone Cable ($10)

Musicians Gear Pop Screen ($14)

ART Tube MP Microphone Preamp ($29)
Haha I know, I laughed when I saw it, but then again, they probably did it on purpose to give the mic a consumer feel.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm beginning to think that Chris has a line on everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
Talking

Haha, I'm invading Gearslutz, oh no! I just love gear, leave me alone! heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC ➑️
I'm beginning to think that Chris has a line on everything!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
im sure pplenty of people would be interested

Quote:
On their website, I can tell that the lack of tube gives it a high frequency peak
tube? what tube? a U87 doesnt have a tube.

what makes you want a U87 'type' mic in the first place?
you would be better to find a mic (or several) that fit your vocalist(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie ➑️
im sure pplenty of people would be interested

tube? what tube? a U87 doesnt have a tube.

what makes you want a U87 'type' mic in the first place?
you would be better to find a mic (or several) that fit your vocalist(s)
Oh ****, it tells you how much I know about the U87 :S

I want one because it sounds open in the mids. I think it's a great sound that would fit well for rock.

Do you have any suggestions of mics similar to the U87 but in a more affordable package?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
when i asked why do you want a U87 type mic i should of also asked have you used a real u87?
listening to a sample is one thing but using something is another.
if you have and you know what you want thats great, if you think they must just be good then i have to come back to what i said before, find what works best for you. that may still be a U87 but i think you have to try things.

sorry i couldnt just give you a simple answer but ive never thought i wanted a copy because ive never been wowed by a real U87 (any version).although thats been with the price tag of a real one in mind so maybe the price of a copy would be worthwhile. that said i know people who like U87s so it just goes to show its all a personal thing.

if a U87 is really what you want then i would consider saving up and watch the used market because they do come up at a fraction of the price of a new one.

im sure someone will mention a C1 which i never thought sounded like a U87. so from my experience with them i would say thats one to stay away from.
I have personally never tried a Neumann U87, only heard them, and I've only tried the TLM103, which was bleh, and supposedly doesn't sound like a U87 at all. What do you think of those Gauge Microphones? Are they worth the buy? I just think they lack a little bit of low end. What do you think of the samples on their website? I was going to buy one, but then I bought a Novation Nocturn Plugin Controller (Which is fantastic) and a Telefunken 12AX7 tube for my Art Digital MPA.

I just bought a Kel HM-7U and I think it sounds great, nice presence on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
am i missing something???

What's wrong with the Hm7 that's making you want a u87?
Especially if you've never used an actual U87?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the mics look promising and the samples are a good start but you cant judge them from it. the differences in performance and mic placement would make to much of a difference.

they are cheap enough that im considering one just to try it for my self. their checkout is weird though it wants to charge sales tax and doesnt seem to update shipping costs which worries me a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere ➑️
am i missing something???

What's wrong with the Hm7 that's making you want a u87?
Especially if you've never used an actual U87?
There's nothing wrong with it, I'm just frustrated because I'm slowly getting out of a cold and I can barely try it out.

What would be the difference in the HM7 and u87?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
If you get a chance try out Behringer B2Pro. It is sonically in U87 territory. For vocals, It totally kills my AT4060 and Jim Williams modified AKG 414 bULS mics. But then again, its not a fair comparison because both of the more expensive mics were designed to be neutral....

My advice to you would be to get a few different mics. And see what fits your voice.

Some fantastic mics ( regardless of price ) for me have been the MXL V69, Studio Projects T3 .

I have recorded with U87s and they were nice but nothing to write home about.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
or since you already have a few low end mics, save abit and get something like a beesneez mic.
Sorry Byron, just don't want a Behringer B2pro, heard that it's way too harsh. I don't want a Studio Projects either.

What do you guys think of the samples on the Gauge website?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yo.
i know the get a bad rap...but MXL makes some DARN good mikes.

i recently had some money burning a ole in my pocket so i bought the V67 off ebay, 99 bucks.

smooth, creamy and great for guitars/vox.
really anything...

my goto mic before was a akg c3000.
but now i use the MXL.

for real. i do not work for mxl. lol.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with it, I'm just frustrated because I'm slowly getting out of a cold and I can barely try it out.

What would be the difference in the HM7 and u87?
Not a lot if you don't have the user experience with both to support the need to own a u87.

The difference may/may not really be that much to even a seasoned user.
I'd suggest forgetting about a u87 and really just figuring out how to use the HM7...

Unless you're a pretty seasoned recorder it's doubtful that you need both isn't it??
You probably just need 1 quality Large D condenser to start with and really figure it out...

What do you have for a pre??
Maybe you could spend the dough that you're saving on the U87 on a great pre??
or on other outboard gear?
You're doing hip-hop... you could probably grab an 1176 compressor for less than you could grab a u87??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
there is no way to fake a mic sound. there is only one mic that sounds like any of the wide variety of u87 made and that is another u87 of the same era. any company that claims that their mic sounds like a u87 is lying to you.

for $100 get an SM-57 and a pop filter and then master the fundamentals of music recording like mic technique, gain structure, and coaxing a good vocal performance out of a singer in the studio.

best of luck to you sir.
Quote:
Not a lot if you don't have the user experience with both to support the need to own a u87.

The difference may/may not really be that much to even a seasoned user.
I'd suggest forgetting about a u87 and really just figuring out how to use the HM7...

Unless you're a pretty seasoned recorder it's doubtful that you need both isn't it??
You probably just need 1 quality Large D condenser to start with and really figure it out...

What do you have for a pre??
Maybe you could spend the dough that you're saving on the U87 on a great pre??
or on other outboard gear?
You're doing hip-hop... you could probably grab an 1176 compressor for less than you could grab a u87??
I do record a lot of different styles of music, from Rock to RNB and Rap/Hip-Hop. Right now I have an Art Digital MPA with tungsol tubes and I'm waiting for my telefunken 12ax7 to come. I love my M-Audio Luna for RNB/Hip-Hop and I think the HM-7U can fill the spot with most Rock Stuff.

I'm currently not looking for a preamp since I think the MPA will cover most of the bases for now, I just want a microphone that can do the whole Nine Inch Nails/ Nirvana/ Seether type of vocals, where it cuts through really nicely, without sounding so upfront in the mix. So far, what I've heard from Gauge has been pretty convincing, I like how the vocals sit in a mix (check out this: http://www.michaelheart.com/music/DENIAL.mp3) He uses it, and it sounds pretty good.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I do record a lot of different styles of music, from Rock to RNB and Rap/Hip-Hop. Right now I have an Art Digital MPA with tungsol tubes and I'm waiting for my telefunken 12ax7 to come. I love my M-Audio Luna for RNB/Hip-Hop and I think the HM-7U can fill the spot with most Rock Stuff.

I'm currently not looking for a preamp since I think the MPA will cover most of the bases for now, I just want a microphone that can do the whole Nine Inch Nails/ Nirvana/ Seether type of vocals, where it cuts through really nicely, without sounding so upfront in the mix. So far, what I've heard from Gauge has been pretty convincing, I like how the vocals sit in a mix (check out this: http://www.michaelheart.com/music/DENIAL.mp3) He uses it, and it sounds pretty good.
Hmm....
A good pre will dramatically change your recordings and the way that you hear your microphones.

I'm curious what you're listening through as well...
Got decent monitors?
These aren't the 'sexy' choices sometimes... but they're often the correct ones.
Ok but some of you are talking like I don't have a clue how to record... Get an sm57 and learn mic techniques? Come on now, I have an sm57 already and I know how to use it. What I am asking here is if there is a mic that would sound closer to a U87 without having to pay 3000 for it. I don't need to know how to use mics, I've used them for 10 years already haha. I have licensed songs on MTV and people pay me to produce them, so being a beginner is out of the question. I just cannot afford the hefty price for a U-87 right now.

Here are some song examples of my voice (I mastered "Not My Lover" to Britney's Womanizer, similar Dynamics):
Attached Files

Chris Lago-Maybe Today.mp3 (3.53 MB, 8710 views)

Chris Lago- Not my Lover.mp3 (3.06 MB, 7418 views)

Quote:
Hmm....
A good pre will dramatically change your recordings and the way that you hear your microphones.

I'm curious what you're listening through as well...
Got decent monitors?
These aren't the 'sexy' choices sometimes... but they're often the correct ones.
Is my Digital MPA fine though? I personally think it sounds great, but I'm biased since it's my first tube preamp. I am receiving a telefunken 12ax7 to put in it soon.

Yamaha NS-10 for monitoring, got them Used and they sound great.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronPinto ➑️
If you get a chance try out Behringer B2Pro. It is sonically in U87 territory.
...that's true...797audio was manufacturing a U87 clone for Rode (which Rode modified as the NT2)...later when Rode moved their production to Australia, Behringer bought the remaining Chinese 797audio production and it became the B2...later improved in the B2-Pro version...great capsule, just a bit bright like many Chinese mics with the high end boost (12kHz)...probably very similar to (maybe the same) as the Gauge version but with the addition of adjustable polar patterns...same price too...

...you could probably get a clean used Rode NT2 for the same price, and it's a very decent mic with the 797audio capsule and much better components than it's Chinese counterparts...still got that top-end bite like most of the U87 copies, though...

...the Kel you already have is much superior, IMHO, than any of these cheap U87 knockoffs...
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't want a Studio Projects either.

What do you guys think of the samples on the Gauge website?
If you were refering to what I mentioned, Beesneez is not a SP mic. It is a line of Australian handmade mics with lifetime warranties fashioned after the Neumann line and people here are amazed at the quality of the build and sound. One of his mics could be the centerpiece of your studio. There are threads with lots of clips here, in the high end and new products sections. I encourage you to check it out.

The best part is that the Jade mic is about $700-800. It stands well next to mics in the $3k-5K range.

Just thought I would encourage you to work towards a REAL step in quality as compared to expanding the base of low end mics.

just .02
Deleted 99dc753
I also thought a long time a cheap China Mic could give me the U 87 sound.
Till the day a friend of mine borrowed me his U87 for one weekend.

No race.

The China Mics just try to copy the German developing which in many cases has taken Neumann years.

The sad side of the story is the copy it bad cheap crappy.
To much highs sounding sizzle...etc.

If a 200 Euro china mic could stand the Neumann style Mic I guess Neumann would close the doors because the costs are much higher in Germany as in China.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I listened to the Gage samples. The gage mic has an edge on it that the other mics don't have. With heavy compression, that can translate into harshness or sibilance. That edge doesn't sound natural to me. The U87 clips there do NOT have that exaggerated edge.

Every chinese mic I have heard suffer from the same artificial high end edge in varying degrees, including the Avant. I had some and ended up selling them vowing to never go back.

Again, just a humble encouragement to get something that will really improve your chain. I have seen lots of advice here on chain improvements starting with buying a quality mic and working from there down the chain.

humble .02
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➑️
...that's true...797audio was manufacturing a U87 clone for Rode (which Rode modified as the NT2)...later when Rode moved their production to Australia, Behringer bought the remaining Chinese 797audio production and it became the B2...later improved in the B2-Pro version...great capsule, just a bit bright like many Chinese mics with the high end boost (12kHz)...probably very similar to (maybe the same) as the Gauge version but with the addition of adjustable polar patterns...same price too...

...you could probably get a clean used Rode NT2 for the same price, and it's a very decent mic with the 797audio capsule and much better components than it's Chinese counterparts...still got that top-end bite like most of the U87 copies, though...

...the Kel you already have is much superior, IMHO, than any of these cheap U87 knockoffs...
Really? I didn't think Rode was trying for a U87-sound. I've honestly never used a U87 but I have used an NT2 (not the 2a) and thought it was a terrible mic. The only thing it didn't completely suck on was female voice, but still wasn't that great.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The absolute best bang for buck microphones are made by AudioTechnica.

forget the Chinese... go Japanese.

AT4050 - enuf said.
πŸ“ Reply