Quantcast
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help! - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorch Trakz ➑️
i dont know why people like u87. they sound pretty bad to me. or maybe the stuff we used it on, the pre was good. but it wasnt sounding to good. or maybe it didnt suit the artist? i dont see why for all the hype it has

much agreed. there are so many mics on the market that are now sonically superior to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by descry ➑️
much agreed. there are so many mics on the market that are now sonically superior to it.
Which ones?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SONICALLY SUPERIOR TO THE U87?

enlighten me as to what is superior, maybe sonically different but there is good reason that the U87 has been around the block so many times.

sound is subjective there really is no such thing as sonically superior since your version of superior could be my version of junk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoonwannabe ➑️

enlighten me as to what is superior, maybe sonically different but there is good reason that the U87 has been around the block so many times.

sound is subjective there really is no such thing as sonically superior since your version of superior could be my version of junk.
Exactly, I think people forget that the U87 is a top of the line mic and an industry standard?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➑️
...those of you who have already purchased and received the Gauge mic, I was told there's a -6dB high-pass (@100Hz) filter switch on the inside of the mic (remove the mic body)...this is somewhat common on many of the cheaper Chinese mics...they save money by not adding the external switch...comes in handy...

I am gonna check that out! I wouldnt mess with it but I will say this these are some heavy lil suckers quality build!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We can talk components and pc boards (well above my head!) I use my ears and it sounds good! I will check out the MXL 67 mic as well 99 bucks. Maybe Ill post some head to head clips from the u87 to gauge and mxl 67 does anyone have a frequency chart for the MXL 67?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is turning into blue is better than red, but GREEN is the best.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have spoken to a mic manufacturer (who shall remain unnamed) and he believes the Chinese do not know how to make a high quality capsule.
This is why most of the Chinese made mics sound harsh and grainy - even thin sometimes.
You would be surprised what 'reasonably expensive' mics actually have Chinese made capsules.

BTW - you really can't tell unless you do a direct A/B (which I have) then the difference is night and day.
You may say "this mic sounds quite nice", but listen against a 'good' vintage U87 etc and you will hear an immediate difference.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking How its done....

Circuit is important but the capsule is king. Get a K67 type capsule and you have to adjust the voltage to the capsule. For example the Peluso PK67 is brighter around 80V to 84V. More U87ish if u will. Expecting a Chinese K67 to sound good like this is not ideal. For the tube mics its a resistor in the power supply that you change to increase voltage to the capsule (and the tube). I believe a zener diode as well.

This is true also for the Oktava capsule which gets brighter with more juice.

Be mindful that you can overdo the voltage (capsule dependent) and ruin the diaphragm.

This along with better caps and tubes makes for a better mic. Along with grille modification. This is how Im chasing the U87 sound.

Peace
Illumination
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
Yeah I've heard of Beesneez mics, and somehow the Jade reminds me of my HM-7U. I was thinking about waiting til I can get a Rode K2. How about the Blueberry, Cad M9 or MXL V69? By the way, has anyone tried out the new MXL mics?
Yeah, i particularly like the M3. It sounds really really lovely. Regularly gets used alongside some much more expensive mics. Pairs very well with the DAV BG1, one of my favs for overheads and acoustic guitar. The V6 is realy nice too, but I much prefer the M3.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mine is on the way. Has anyone who has one opened theirs up yet? If so can you post gut pics? Also, is this a transformer or transformerless design? If it has a transformer, anyone have any idea of the specs?
Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We did a shootout here a while ago with a mid 90's U87 and a Latvian Baby Bottle. The similarities were staggering - between myself, another engineer, and a session female singer, all 3 of us on the blind test couldn't tell a difference between the 2 mics. Literally they sounded 98% the same. When we ventured to say which we would prefer between the 2 mics, all 3 of us picked......guess which......

the Baby Bottle. $275. You absolutely can't go wrong with the mic at that price in my opinion.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes the Latvian, Blue sells something else IΒ΄m afraid

Matti
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➑️
We did a shootout here a while ago with a mid 90's U87 and a Latvian Baby Bottle. The similarities were staggering - between myself, another engineer, and a session female singer, all 3 of us on the blind test couldn't tell a difference between the 2 mics. Literally they sounded 98% the same. When we ventured to say which we would prefer between the 2 mics, all 3 of us picked......guess which......

the Baby Bottle. $275. You absolutely can't go wrong with the mic at that price in my opinion.
THe Baby Bottle? But it sounds kinda thin by itself no?
On a sidenote, I just got one of my songs published last week, and they were commenting on how good the vocal recording was, but I used an ADK Generis GC-1 ($50 condenser) through my ok Edirol UA-25 interface, which shows that it doesn't mean anything which mic you use.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The mic blends very well, and very much like an 87. The 87 has a bit of a thin sound typically by itself, but the midrange helps it to really cut. For the $275 I paid for it used, it is a great value, and a mic that gets a good amount of use, even with a full Bottle, Sony C800G, and Cactus as other vocal mic choices here.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
...but I used an ADK Generis GC-1 ($50 condenser) through my ok Edirol UA-25 interface, which shows that it doesn't mean anything which mic you use.
sorry Chris. simply not true and I'm calling bull. tutt

I'm not trying to slam your engineering or singing but it is simply bull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt ➑️
sorry Chris. simply not true and I'm calling bull. tutt

I'm not trying to slam your engineering or singing but it is simply bull.
And why would it be bull? The track that was published was done with an ADK Generis on my vocals... And I still got it published.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
And why would it be bull? The track that was published was done with an ADK Generis on my vocals... And I still got it published.
Because you got a song published does not establish a rule for the recording industry. I am glad you succeeded. Awesome. Congratulations.

[edited: I was a bit rude]

It does matter what mic you use.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoonwannabe ➑️

Read up in the high end forum and you will see every name listed that is better than a U87. There are many. It used ot be that nothing could touch it but there are sooooo many mics out there now that will provide more warmth or clarity without the honk or sibilance people complain about with the U87. This is not based on my personal experience but if you look around, you can see many respected people here that think so.
Old 15th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
CAD equitek E200 old school. You can find it on eBay for 150$..
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Quote:
Because you got a song published does not establish a rule for the recording industry. I am glad you succeeded. Awesome. Congratulations.

I have heard your clips and your stuff. You and I both need improvement in our engineering. It does matter.
Who cares if I need improvement? If I wouldn't, I'd be producing Major Label artists and I'm not. I'm only 22 so I got many years to get better. Wow I guess I'll leave my accomplishments to myself. I just wanted to let other people know that you can still get songs published with cheapo mics... Whatever man. You're just trying to piss me off. I think I smell some jealousy.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Who cares if I need improvement? If I wouldn't, I'd be producing Major Label artists and I'm not. I'm only 22 so I got many years to get better. Wow I guess I'll leave my accomplishments to myself. I just wanted to let other people know that you can still get songs published with cheapo mics... Whatever man. You're just trying to piss me off. I think I smell some jealousy.
Edited above post... wasn't trying to be rude just trying to explain.

Nope. Not jealous. It is just statements like the one above that get under my skin. You seem to post a lot of odd statements proclaiming all you need is a $100 mic and an Art to be successful.
I am happy for you. Congratulations, again Chris. Wish you the best.

Everything matters.
Quote:
Edited above post... wasn't trying to be rude just trying to explain.

Nope. Not jealous. It is just statements like the one above that get under my skin. You seem to post a lot of odd statements proclaiming all you need is a $100 mic and an Art to be successful.
I am happy for you. Congratulations, again Chris. Wish you the best.

Everything matters.
Actually all I needed was my ADK Generic and my crappy Edirol UA-25 preamp, but thanx for putting words in my mouth... And yes, the ART MPA sounds great with the Telefunken 12AX7.

You also need to know what you're doing when mixing and mastering. Look, I am still young, and I'm just happy that I can do what I do without having to spend a grand to get a good microphone/preamp AD/DA and whatnot.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Actually all I needed was my ADK Generic and my crappy Edirol UA-25 preamp, but thanx for putting words in my mouth... And yes, the ART MPA sounds great with the Telefunken 12AX7.

You also need to know what you're doing when mixing and mastering. Look, I am still young, and I'm just happy that I can do what I do without having to spend a grand to get a good microphone/preamp AD/DA and whatnot.

It is great to share your accomplishments but if you avoid the blanket statements, you will likely stir the pot less.
Quote:
It is great to share your accomplishments but if you avoid the blanket statements, you will likely stir the pot less.
You're totally right.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Gratz again on your being published. It is a fun feeling. I was just never happy as a writer with what others did with my songs.

I hope you get tons of royalties!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wonder if when people pull the U87 down whether they are talking about the original U87 or the newer U87Ai as there is a big difference.
I have heard an original 'vintage' U87 and it was a beautiful mic to be sure.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead ➑️
I wonder if when people pull the U87 down whether they are talking about the original U87 or the newer U87Ai as there is a big difference.
I have heard an original 'vintage' U87 and it was a beautiful mic to be sure.
I actually was going to post a link to a thread where the U87 was having it's butt handed to it but then I noticed what you mentioned in the thread as well. i wonder why the new ones have such a bad rap.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I actually was going to post a link to a thread where the U87 was having it's butt handed to it but then I noticed what you mentioned in the thread as well. i wonder why the new ones have such a bad rap.
Hi Heartfelt - no doubt it is all because there are so many mic manufacturers / distributors on the market that everyone has to find ways to get there product out at a competitive price.

I would suggest that if an undressed vintage U87 was compared to a modern U87Ai there would be substantial differences in components and build quality etc.

Neumann has had to find ways to get there product into the market place at a price point - at one point in history they dominated the market - now it is another story all together.

There is a reason why mics like the Wagner etc cost so much - build and component quality.

That is why I have been so happy to discover Bees Neez Mics - real high quality components and build quality at a mid-sized price point.
Bees Neez Microphones
They have to be seen / heard to be believed mate - for real.
πŸ“ Reply