Quantcast
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help! - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
Like Scully and Molder, "trust no one" except your ears of course.
I believe... heh
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
I'm getting my Gauge Microphone next week, and I'll be doing a review on it. I love doing mic reviews haha.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
if your trying to be an artist.. I would suggest this

pay for recording time at a Studio with an Engineer You like or reference.

and Focus yourself as an artist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase-Ish ➑️
if your trying to be an artist.. I would suggest this

pay for recording time at a Studio with an Engineer You like or reference.

and Focus yourself as an artist
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather be an artist, not waste money on an engineer and produce at the same time to make money and to work with great artists.

I just talked to Rob Chiarelli on the phone today and he told me that they are going to release 2 brand new microphones. He was a really nice guy.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
this thread reminds me of something i always found funny...i always hated the u87 on my vocals. i'd walk into the studio and the fave 87 or even a u47 would be up and i'd tell the engineer to put up a c414. he'd look at me crosseyed, question my logic, put one up to a-b to prove me wrong.

then look slack jawed as i'd sing into both mikes and watch the 414 win. same goes for the c12s. they always made my voice sound like mush.

and they're never convinced i could get the song in a single take either. the band would tell them "watch this..." another slack jawed engineer. then i'd double and triple up the vocals.

pretty funny what happens when you practice...a lot.

still. i like the sm7 on vocals best.

for a leslie though...i love the u87
I used a 414 for my vocals and it sounded like mush, it was so grainy on my voice, I did not like it at all. I still recorded one of my songs with it, it was ok, not worth the price... But hey, lots of people like it and use it on an everyday basis.

I will probably get a sm7 very soon, hopefully the Gauge will sound great, I can't wait to try it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
Yeah and from the samples I hear, the U87 sounds creamier than the 4033. I still think the 4033 sounds great, maybe it would sound great with my tube preamp.
I've had a AT4033 for probably 20 years, and it's probably been 10 years since I used it. I'll have to pull it out and see what it sounds like. I did loan it to a lady singer a while back - sort a warm alto - and she loved it, at least compared to the other two mics in the bunch - a Rode NT2a and a MXL V69. (I sold the V69. I keep the Rode for when I need a really bright LDC for a dead sounding guitar.)

I mentioned in another thread - the Shure KSM44 LDC works on some voices. It might be worth checking out (as long as you can return it if it sucks.) The CAD Trion 8000 is another interesting mic - sort of bland but with presence - and the high end is nice and velvety without being harsh.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a ton of mics and for a cheap u87, I would go with a Superlux Cm series.

Ripper for the price, use for traveling around with the laptop, don't care if it gets damaged, sounds great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDS ➑️
I have a ton of mics and for a cheap u87, I would go with a Superlux Cm series.

Ripper for the price, use for traveling around with the laptop, don't care if it gets damaged, sounds great.
How does it compare to the U87? Any samples you could post? On a second thought, I relistened to the Akg 414 on my vocals and it actually sounded great.I just wasn't really up for Eqing when I tried it out.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just ordered 2 cant wait to get em! I currently own 2 u87s so I am curious how they will match up. Even if they sound 1/2 as good they are worth the money. On their website I was listening to the samples and it seemed to shine on acoustics missing some low end but with the modern pop sound it usually gets eqed out anyways. Ill post some samples as soon as I get em...................OHHH and by the way the two guys seems super nice and very good at responding to your questions. In my opinion thats priceless! thumbsupthumbsup

GAUGE MICROPHONES - CALIFORNIA, U.S.A.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
I used a 414 for my vocals and it sounded like mush, it was so grainy on my voice, I did not like it at all. I still recorded one of my songs with it, it was ok, not worth the price... But hey, lots of people like it and use it on an everyday basis.

I will probably get a sm7 very soon, hopefully the Gauge will sound great, I can't wait to try it.
Not a big fan of the C414 on voxs I personally think it sounds like ass! On a rappers vox maybe but pop or singers no way. Its very versatile great on many different sources. As far as the SM7b goes that thing kicks ass remember to have a pre with tons of gain. I use the Chameleon Lab with it and vocals are sooo warm and big. That mic I bought solely based on gearslutz input and probably one of my best buys for the price ohhh yeah if you want go to guitarcenter.com they have 2 used for like 200 bucks.

Peace,
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This has officially become the $100 mic vs the world thread!
I know haha, I can't wait to get the Gauge mic
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt ➑️
This has officially become the $100 mic vs the world thread!
+1 LOL.. Got one coming soon.. Hope its what we expect..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensonix Studios ➑️
+1 LOL.. Got one coming soon.. Hope its what we expect..
Hopefully I get it this week, I'm in Canada so I might have to wait 1 more week.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Okay so here it is! I got mine about 2 hours ago and this is what I will say..........It is real good. I do notice a boost around 8k which can add a real annoying ess but nothing a software deesser cant handle. I think this a major bang for a buck! It comes with a stedman style pop filter that alone sells for 50 bucks! I got some pictures I will be posting of the unvailing. This thing sounds real good I can see how it is compaired to the u87. I will say this the u87 is much more warm but this mic kicks ass. I tested through a ADL 600 tube pre and it is great! I bought two to test on overheads and I think they will get a ton of work in my studio! So for the 150 grab a pair you wont be let down!thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup I can honestly say as a working studio engineer this mic is worth 5xs what they charge for it.

keep it coming gauge guys!

Plus they are super nice!

Last edited by superiorsound; 12th February 2009 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: adding more
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanfiske ➑️
this thread reminds me of something i always found funny...i always hated the u87 on my vocals. i'd walk into the studio and the fave 87 or even a u47 would be up and i'd tell the engineer to put up a c414. he'd look at me crosseyed, question my logic, put one up to a-b to prove me wrong.

then look slack jawed as i'd sing into both mikes and watch the 414 win. same goes for the c12s. they always made my voice sound like mush.

and they're never convinced i could get the song in a single take either. the band would tell them "watch this..." another slack jawed engineer. then i'd double and triple up the vocals.

pretty funny what happens when you practice...a lot.

still. i like the sm7 on vocals best.

for a leslie though...i love the u87
I think the u87 is great on voxs in my opinion from what I have seen its a very detailed piece whats you give it is what you get. I have tons of clients who dont use it. Usually becuase their vocal delivery is not up to par however get someone whos got a great voice and can deliver I wouldnt trust any other mic than the U87! I love the SM7 on voxs and guitar amps! I use a chameleon labs 7602 with it and bam! in business
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Heres a few pics!
Attached Thumbnails
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!-picture-009.jpg   I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!-picture-008.jpg   I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!-picture-007.jpg  
Cool! Post some sound samples
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Could someone please send me the link?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
GAUGE MICROPHONES - CALIFORNIA, U.S.A. as generic mics as it gets, I guess

Matti

P.S. open the mic and take close ups
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTI ➑️
GAUGE MICROPHONES - CALIFORNIA, U.S.A. as generic mics as it gets, I guess

Matti

P.S. open the mic and take close ups
i meant the link to get it cheaper

EDIT: Thanks Chris!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey dude.
You may have seen it already but I have a JLM modded Chinese U87 copy for sale.
Nice sounding mic.
Just compress and sit it in the mix - no EQ needed I've found.
US$260 plus US$50 postage to the USofA.
Great sounding mic for not much cash.
JLM Audio is quite respected around these parts for good reason.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sorry didnΒ΄t notice, on the other hand any chinese mic of the type would match

Matti
If you guys need the link to get it at a great price, let me know, pm me and I will send it over. I talked to Rob and he's a great guy, he wouldn't stand behind any mic if he didn't believe in them.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Looks like it was shipped properly.. and looks like a good quality mic.. cant wait to get mine.. Talked to one of the Assistant Engineers in the studio I work at about Gauge.. and he has 3.. says that they are worth every penny.. Cant wait..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...those of you who have already purchased and received the Gauge mic, I was told there's a -6dB high-pass (@100Hz) filter switch on the inside of the mic (remove the mic body)...this is somewhat common on many of the cheaper Chinese mics...they save money by not adding the external switch...comes in handy...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ah, the enduring enthusiasm for yet another $150 Chinese mic. Will this be a Spring fling or can the relationship go the distance?

Once again Kidvybes is spot on - many of these generic mics all use the same PC board, framework and headbasket. The vendors swap details like body length, end nut and mic stand clip to create "unique" models.

But really matters is the capsule. For many years the lowest cost mics have shipped with Alctron-supplied 32mm K67-style capsules (below) that have the characteristic K67 brightness - but which is not compensated for in the circuit as was done in the U 67 and U 87.

There have been two diaphragm variants of these capsules - 6 micron and 3 micron. The 6 micron capsule seem to be a little better behaved on the top end. I suspect the mass of the diaphragm provides better overshoot damping than the 3 micron capsule which needs careful backplate and spacer tuning to properly load the lighter diaphragm. It took the late microphone modification engineer Stephen Paul a number of years to develop 3 micron technology (he was the first to do so) to the point where he got excellent transient response but not excessive brightness and ringing in the top end.

Lately I've seen indications that the Chinese vendors are experimenting with diaphragm mass (the retro look MXL V900 has a 12 micron diaphragm and this mic does not have the same sort of spike-in-the head brightness commonly heard) and backplate style (the availability of the less-bright K47-style capsule in the Kel HM 7U for example.

So I'm interested in learning more about the exact capsule used in these mics - backplate style (K67), diaphragm thickness, back plate diameter and also the quality of electronics. What type of input coupling capacitor is and is the FET properly biased for example ?

I'm all for spreading the word about yet another $150 Chinese mic if its really a cut above the rest. But I'm not convinced yet there's anything different going on in that mic that hasn't already been done fairly successfully in the $99 MXL V67g for example.
Attached Thumbnails
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!-k67copy4.jpg  
Old 13th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Try the Se Electronics mic range, Amazing build quality for the price. The SE2200a have won tons of awards. I did a brief vocal test comparing the SE2200A with a U87, AKG 414, Rode NT1, Sanken CU41. It came a close second to the U87. The U87 had more presence in the Mid range and little more open sounding. Personally i believe the U87 has alot of Myth attached to it, and not particularly worth the money they go for nowadays you could be alot more savvy with your £££
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
... the same sort of spike-in-the head brightness commonly heard)
That's why I have a headache...
πŸ“ Reply