Quantcast
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help! - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Chris I sent you a PM
For all you guys who bought a cheaper Gauge because of me, I'd love to get a free gauge by you guys haha because I am so broke. Oh my I was thinking about buying it, and I will, but you guys are lucky bas tards because of me!
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt ➑️
I was kidding lol.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
you might want to watch the bay for some used deals I scored an American made CAD E250 for $73 shipped to my door I also watched two E100's go for under $70 from a church auction and they were also American made. watch ebay seriously !! you might have to bid on 100 items and of that 100 you might win 5 but those 5 will be killer deals!!

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleboy3 ➑️
you might want to watch the bay for some used deals I scored an American made CAD E250 for $73 shipped to my door I also watched two E100's go for under $70 from a church auction and they were also American made. watch ebay seriously !! you might have to bid on 100 items and of that 100 you might win 5 but those 5 will be killer deals!!

Bill
Hey I just got a Telefunken 12AX7 for 25 bucks so I agree haha.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Chris U should check this out...Joemeek JM37DP Condenser Microphone
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i dont know why people like u87. they sound pretty bad to me. or maybe the stuff we used it on, the pre was good. but it wasnt sounding to good. or maybe it didnt suit the artist? i dont see why for all the hype it has
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorch Trakz ➑️
i dont know why people like u87. they sound pretty bad to me. or maybe the stuff we used it on, the pre was good. but it wasnt sounding to good. or maybe it didnt suit the artist? i dont see why for all the hype it has
Me Neither, Right now I don't see why the big hype, but when I rent it I'll probably understand why
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➑️
...that's true...797audio was manufacturing a U87 clone for Rode (which Rode modified as the NT2)...later when Rode moved their production to Australia, Behringer bought the remaining Chinese 797audio production and it became the B2...later improved in the B2-Pro version...great capsule, just a bit bright like many Chinese mics with the high end boost (12kHz)...probably very similar to (maybe the same) as the Gauge version but with the addition of adjustable polar patterns...same price too...

...you could probably get a clean used Rode NT2 for the same price, and it's a very decent mic with the 797audio capsule and much better components than it's Chinese counterparts...still got that top-end bite like most of the U87 copies, though...

...the Kel you already have is much superior, IMHO, than any of these cheap U87 knockoffs...
FWIW, i stuck a mid-80's U87, a C414-ULS, rode NT-2A and AT 4033 over a steinway piano about a year ago, and i'd have to say that the 4033 and U87 were pretty close to each other, both in terms of tone and output/sensitivity. the U87 was a bit thicker in the bottom end, but other than that they sounded eerily similar to each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironklad Audio ➑️
FWIW, i stuck a mid-80's U87, a C414-ULS, rode NT-2A and AT 4033 over a steinway piano about a year ago, and i'd have to say that the 4033 and U87 were pretty close to each other, both in terms of tone and output/sensitivity. the U87 was a bit thicker in the bottom end, but other than that they sounded eerily similar to each other.
Yeah and from the samples I hear, the U87 sounds creamier than the 4033. I still think the 4033 sounds great, maybe it would sound great with my tube preamp.

Ps: For all of you who say that internet samples don't mean a thing, all I have to say is that the mics I bought sounded very similar to sound samples on the net. The more I test out microphones, the more I realize that the listening sessions on the net do compare to live tests.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
My vote goes for the Mircotech Gefell UMT70s. Only need cardioid, the MT71 will be the one.

Stepping up a bit [with more character] I'd suggest the MTG M92.1 or the Brauner Valvet [which actually SMOKES for this style of production] These might not be less expensive, but to my ear they are texturally favorable for vocals, when compared to the hard as nails, loud and brash upper mid response of a U87.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
My vote goes for the Mircotech Gefell UMT70s. Only need cardioid, the MT71 will be the one.

Stepping up a bit [with more character] I'd suggest the MTG M92.1 or the Brauner Valvet [which actually SMOKES for this style of production] These might not be less expensive, but to my ear they are texturally favorable for vocals, when compared to the hard as nails, loud and brash upper mid response of a U87.
That's good to know, but it's still in the $1000-3000 range haha.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
That's good to know, but it's still in the $1000-3000 range haha.
I get a little scared for my life when this kind of $$ comes into play in the Low end forum.....

There are PLENTY of microphone's in the 1-3K range, that I'd have WAY before a U87. The Hype Machine means nothing to the SOURCE you're pointing the microphone at. Just my 2 cents is all.
I'd have to agree too.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
The Hype Machine means nothing to the SOURCE you're pointing the microphone at. Just my 2 cents is all.
+1 on that too..

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok but some of you are talking like I don't have a clue how to record... Get an sm57 and learn mic techniques? Come on now, I have an sm57 already and I know how to use it. What I am asking here is if there is a mic that would sound closer to a U87 without having to pay 3000 for it. I don't need to know how to use mics, I've used them for 10 years already haha. I have licensed songs on MTV and people pay me to produce them, so being a beginner is out of the question. I just cannot afford the hefty price for a U-87 right now.

Here are some song examples of my voice (I mastered "Not My Lover" to Britney's Womanizer, similar Dynamics):
Which songs? Presumably if that's true you were credited? Sorry but this is now soundling like nonsense. If you were being paid decent money for this game as you allege you'd be offsetting the cost of decent gear against your taxes so wouldnt be paying out of your own pocket. Let's not get silly about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog ➑️
Which songs? Presumably if that's true you were credited? Sorry but this is now soundling like nonsense. If you were being paid decent money for this game as you allege you'd be offsetting the cost of decent gear against your taxes so wouldnt be paying out of your own pocket. Let's not get silly about it.
No no I don't think you understood, I said that I referenced my track to Britney's Womanizer. I did not master anything by her, I wish! When I was mastering my track, I was listening to her track to get a similar feel.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No no I don't think you understood, I said that I referenced my track to Britney's Womanizer. I did not master anything by her, I wish! When I was mastering my track, I was listening to her track to get a similar feel.
erm...

Quote:
I have licensed songs on MTV and people pay me to produce them, so being a beginner is out of the question. I just cannot afford the hefty price for a U-87 right now
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Question

Am I the only one that hears that hella-annoying Sizzle distortion chinese mics are famous for in the high end with the Gauge ECM-87 microphone?
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Chris, the point is you said you have songs licensed on MTV and that makes you not a beginner but you are considering a $100 mic... doesn't add up. That's all he is saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejacky ➑️
Am I the only one that hears that hella-annoying Sizzle distortion chinese mics are famous for in the high end with the Gauge ECM-87 microphone?
No, you're not.
Quote:
Chris, the point is you said you have songs licensed on MTV and that makes you not a beginner but you are considering a $100 mic... doesn't add up. That's all he is saying.

No, you're not.
Yeah I do have songs licenced on MTV (and on the Oxygen Network too), notably on The Real World, but trust me, with anything on MTV, the pay is slim (and the royalties too), let's not forget that I have been in a shady publishing deal as well. Everything was happening but I wasn't getting much money for it, and the money I made was to pay for my school. Being a student, it's a little bit hard to afford recording gear. I still buy stuff once in a while, when I get paid for studio work.

I just bought the HM-7U, a brand new preamp, a telefunken tube, a Novation Nocturn Midi Controller and now I'm saving up to get a brand new computer. So I can't afford to buy the Gauge microphone, I just think there are better mics out there that I think would benefit me more.

I am not a beginner but I havent worked with Major label artists at all. Eventually I will... I hope!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah I do have songs licenced on MTV (and on the Oxygen Network too), notably on The Real World, but trust me, with anything on MTV, the pay is slim (and the royalties too), let's not forget that I have been in a shady publishing deal as well. Everything was happening but I wasn't getting much money for it,
So if that is true tell us the names or the tracks and we can check the credit list. Easy.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've compared the Gauge to a U87 side by side, on vocals, and the Gauge really sounds nothing like a U87.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
So I can't afford to buy the Gauge microphone, I just think there are better mics out there that I think would benefit me more

That sounds like a good decision to me. :O)
Save and get something that will take you another notch up.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
No ELAM.s for $300.00 that is fo sho !!

DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog ➑️
So if that is true tell us the names or the tracks and we can check the credit list. Easy.
Wow so persistent. Well one of the tracks I licenced for the Bad Girls Club was called "The Open Road" by Keely Valentine (produced and written by me). It's the ending song of the 2nd season, and as far as the Real World, there are a bunch cut up everywhere (in various episodes).

I really don't care if you believe me or not man, I wouldn't randomly lie about it. I'm actually proud that I got to license some songs, and hopefully I will license more songs in the future. Licensing is where it's at when it comes to making money off of your own tracks.
Quote:
That sounds like a good decision to me. :O)
Save and get something that will take you another notch up.
I'm mainly thinking about the 4033.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernosher ➑️
I've compared the Gauge to a U87 side by side, on vocals, and the Gauge really sounds nothing like a U87.
Thank you for publicly stating your honesty. With so much hype on internet forums even with sound samples proving the product sounds nothing like it claims, it's refreshing to see that my hearing is not fubar. heh
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejacky ➑️
Thank you for publicly stating your honesty. With so much hype on internet forums even with sound samples proving the product sounds nothing like it claims, it's refreshing to see that my hearing is not fubar. heh
Like Scully and Molder, "trust no one" except your ears of course.
πŸ“ Reply