Quantcast
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Yeah I've heard of Beesneez mics, and somehow the Jade reminds me of my HM-7U. I was thinking about waiting til I can get a Rode K2. How about the Blueberry, Cad M9 or MXL V69? By the way, has anyone tried out the new MXL mics?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran ➑️
Really? I didn't think Rode was trying for a U87-sound. I've honestly never used a U87 but I have used an NT2 (not the 2a) and thought it was a terrible mic. The only thing it didn't completely suck on was female voice, but still wasn't that great.
...actually I believe it was 797audio that was going after the U87 vibe, and Rode used their mic's case and capsule while supplying their own circuitry...although most LDCs back then seemed to be aimed at the "legendary" U87...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
Is my Digital MPA fine though? I personally think it sounds great, but I'm biased since it's my first tube preamp. I am receiving a telefunken 12ax7 to put in it soon.

Yamaha NS-10 for monitoring, got them Used and they sound great.
The behringer b2 pro is a real good mic, and your art is fine, I had the same one, and I dont know what the problem is with the stock tubes...they sound fine to!!
To much sluttynees gets in the way of making music!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict ➑️
The behringer b2 pro is a real good mic, and your art is fine, I had the same one, and I dont know what the problem is with the stock tubes...they sound fine to!!
To much sluttynees gets in the way of making music!!!!!
I just find that it's a harsh mic, anyone has vocal samples? The stock tubes sound grainy, as soon as you change them, it makes a huge difference.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How about the old Gefell UM70 or M71? These have the Neumann M7 capsule too. These are superb if overlooked mics. Dirt cheap on ebay.de. I got a second M71(cardioid) plus MV692 pre+ German power supply for 400euro recently.

duped on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
I just checked and the Gefells are 1300, that's not affordable at all.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Cheap, right?

the new MXL v mics (87,88,89)...I really like the M3 on male vox.
Or, how about the ADK Hamburg Mk 8? Or an AT4047?

Geesh, just sing into an e935 and get on with it. Anything. I like your voice. Good luck.

Just make sure you run them through a $3000 preamp, and they might sound like a u87
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
IMO there is no substitute for a U87, but seem to remember hearing that the Rode NTK has kind of an 87 vibe on the cheap....?

You might check out older Gefells from madooma vintage microphones on ebay ---I think they were selling older UM 70s around $800 or so at one time...though I haven't checked lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood ➑️
IMO there is no substitute for a U87, but seem to remember hearing that the Rode NTK has kind of an 87 vibe on the cheap....?

You might check out older Gefells from madooma vintage microphones on ebay ---I think they were selling older UM 70s around $800 or so at one time...though I haven't checked lately.
Ok will do. Anyone has tried the new MXL mics? Any samples?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
well, on that Gauge page, I would say that the U87 smokes all the others on acoustic guitar...

Is that female vocal heavily auto tuned or what!!? phheeew!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
$225ish AB'ed with 87

I have a pair of MXL 2003's that I had modded by Jim Williams about 4 years ago (AudioUpgrades.com). I've AB'ed them with 87's a few times and the mods he does are damn close. Also, just ask Jim what he thinks the best-sounding mod is for what you want. But first, go see what microphones your voice sounds good with.
Best,
BT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar ➑️
well, on that Gauge page, I would say that the U87 smokes all the others on acoustic guitar...

Is that female vocal heavily auto tuned or what!!? phheeew!
Yeah I know, it sounds great on the acoustic guitar. I think the guy's voice is auto-tuned as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Chris, I have the Gauge. I'm no expert but I keep my ear to the ground and I believe what I'm about to say is pretty much the consensus among the truly knowledgeable types who have also tried this mic and discussed it. Number one, it's just plain wrong to compare it to the Neumann. Period. And now that THAT'S out of the way, what you DO get is a hell of a good deal. The mic has excellent midrange, which appears to be what you're after (and nice lows, and a slight spike in the upper-mids/lower highs). It is absolutely killer when used to mic an acoustic guitar, and it's very good on vocals. Definitely worth the cheap price, and I can vouch for the character of the cats who sell it. They respond to emails personally, and they will not rip you off.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Wow, Gefells are really going up in price. They were sleeper mics for a long time I guess.

Not sure of a U87 style mic but really good cheap vocal mic would be the CAD Trion 8000 tube(very cheap) or the Red Mic Type B. The Reds are great mics imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman ➑️
Hi Chris, I have the Gauge. I'm no expert but I keep my ear to the ground and I believe what I'm about to say is pretty much the consensus among the truly knowledgeable types who have also tried this mic and discussed it. Number one, it's just plain wrong to compare it to the Neumann. Period. And now that THAT'S out of the way, what you DO get is a hell of a good deal. The mic has excellent midrange, which appears to be what you're after (and nice lows, and a slight spike in the upper-mids/lower highs). It is absolutely killer when used to mic an acoustic guitar, and it's very good on vocals. Definitely worth the cheap price, and I can vouch for the character of the cats who sell it. They respond to emails personally, and they will not rip you off.
Thanks for letting me know, at least I won't be expecting a Neumann style of mic one I buy it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
On the other hand, it really looks like the Neumann.

I'll also throw another shout out to the MXLv69. A friend of mine gets some incredibly creamy, silky sounds from that one...and I've heard it goes one better if you replace the tube with something like a Mullard.

Good luck!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
As someone who used U87i mics for years on my voice to great success...no, there's not really anything like it. Yet, there's a lot kinda like it--if that makes any sense.

Of the cheap mics I've used, I'd venture the original ADK Hamburg and AT 4060 were the closest--not the that 4060 is "cheap" new, but I got it used. Still, put up next to a real old 87i, neither one shines.

I ended up with an Sm7b and a (vintage) Gefell Um70. I would still like to find an old 87i...throw an Innertube kit in it...LOVE that mod...but, you know--I'm pretty happy with the sound I get now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadwolf ➑️
I have a pair of MXL 2003's that I had modded by Jim Williams about 4 years ago (AudioUpgrades.com). I've AB'ed them with 87's a few times and the mods he does are damn close. Also, just ask Jim what he thinks the best-sounding mod is for what you want. But first, go see what microphones your voice sounds good with.
Best,
BT
I heard the SP1 modified by Jim Williams and it sounds fantastic. I might be doing the mod for it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Is my Digital MPA fine though? I personally think it sounds great, but I'm biased since it's my first tube preamp. I am receiving a telefunken 12ax7 to put in it soon.

Yamaha NS-10 for monitoring, got them Used and they sound great.
It's ok.... there are just a LOT better.
I checked your tracks on the other page, and they do sound good.
Obviously you have a good idea of how to record and honestly.... that's the hardest part.
You appear to be using the gear that you do have well.

Enough can't be said about that.

It would be interesting to hear what you'd do with a great pre-amp.
All the best with whatever you decide to pickup!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere ➑️
It's ok.... there are just a LOT better.
I checked your tracks on the other page, and they do sound good.
Obviously you have a good idea of how to record and honestly.... that's the hardest part.
You appear to be using the gear that you do have well.

Enough can't be said about that.

It would be interesting to hear what you'd do with a great pre-amp.
All the best with whatever you decide to pickup!!
Thanks, I do my best, and while I don't have the most expensive gear out there, I still cut some great sounding tracks because I spend a lot of time mixing/editing and I'm really good at Mastering too.

Do you think I should just get a good preamp instead? Any suggestions? Maybe Universal Audio? I'd like some help.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I at least think you should consider it.. ??

among other options...
You could pickup a lunchbox and a pre to start...

Or even just pickup a Great River MPNV1.
it'd do a great wealth to what you're already doing in my opinion.

But.. who the hell am I??
Just a dude...
if I were you though.. it seems like a pre would be a better option than a U87 as you already have an HM7u...
How about the Mojave MA-200? Seems like a great mic. Right now I'm looking at the True System P-Solo mic preamp and the Universal Audio 610.

Which one would be better?
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Being that you like the bright mics, you would probably like the 200.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
get a sm58, a senn 421, or a sm57 a decent pre amp and learn how to use it.

comparing boutique 3k mics to workhorse 100-500$ mics will make people look at you weird.

your website says you have an AKG C414 is that not enough?

if your looking for good pre amps, i would sink my money into a neve,api, jlm.

something with alot of hard metal in it. then get an LA-2A and you'll be happy.

also check out Gyraf Audio and learn how to build your own mics. you'll learn the most.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
How about the Mojave MA-200? Seems like a great mic. Right now I'm looking at the True System P-Solo mic preamp and the Universal Audio 610.

Which one would be better?

True preamps are really nice. The low price tag is not indicitive of performace.

Chrislago, why arent you considering the AT line of mics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmostynx ➑️
get a sm58, a senn 421, or a sm57 a decent pre amp and learn how to use it.

comparing boutique 3k mics to workhorse 100-500$ mics will make people look at you weird.

your website says you have an AKG C414 is that not enough?

if your looking for good pre amps, i would sink my money into a neve,api, jlm.

something with alot of hard metal in it. then get an LA-2A and you'll be happy.
Yeah I used to have a C414, and I hated it so I sold it to get a great guitar instead.

As for the sm58,57 and whatnot, I'm passed that. I was doing that 10 years ago so I need something better. Currently looking at the True Preamps. Some people like it over the UA 610.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall40 ➑️
True preamps are really nice. The low price tag is not indicitive of performace.

Chrislago, why arent you considering the AT line of mics?
I am, I've been trying to get a 4033, but I'm still unsure if I want one.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ok but some of you are talking like I don't have a clue how to record... Get an sm57 and learn mic techniques? Come on now, I have an sm57 already and I know how to use it. What I am asking here is if there is a mic that would sound closer to a U87 without having to pay 3000 for it. I don't need to know how to use mics, I've used them for 10 years already haha. I have licensed songs on MTV and people pay me to produce them, so being a beginner is out of the question. I just cannot afford the hefty price for a U-87 right now.

Here are some song examples of my voice (I mastered "Not My Lover" to Britney's Womanizer, similar Dynamics):

Your music is exceptionally .... gay. heh But your voice is good, and I'm sure it gets you a lot more tail than I've ever gotten in my lifetime, so who am I to talk?

Anyway, for that particular style of vocal, you might look at one of the Rode mics. In particular, I think the NTK pretty much fits the bill of the whole Britney/Justin/Christina thing that you're going for with your stuff.

As for mics that sound like a U87? Take your pick. On the budget end, there are currently only two capsules even being made right now ... both of them in China, and both direct copies / knockoffs of the U-87 capsule. And almost every single mic that sells for 300 or less is using one of them, so, in a sense ... just about every budget condenser on the market is a U87 knockoff (with a very few obvious exceptions).
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Honestly...preamp (of the two)--610. It's cool I'd bet your 58 does a lot better with it...and it also kills with a U87i, FWIW. And brings the Sm7b to life.

Not to mention--great bass DI.

But, yes...you need that.

Re: AT mics...I just don't think you'd be happy with them if you're looking for an 87'sih sound. The closest is definitely the 4060. But, if you were buying new for $1k...you'd be better off getting the U87i used. It's better in everyway, will hold value, and is your "known good" mic.

The Mojave sounded much closer to a 67. But, a sucky one. I would avoid it. An Sm7b>610 sounds more like an actual 67...and an 87 is really a different sound. I'll say it again, if an 87 works on you...closest "cheap" mics are going to be an original ADK Hamburg and an Sm7b. Add the 4060 and Gefell UM70 if the $1k price point is in your perception "cheap".

The Hamburg will be brighter, and the least "quality" of all those mentioned. The Sm7b will be darker, more sensitive to preamp color, and will require you stay closer than a condenser...but, a better choice, IMO. EQ in some highs and out a bit of 1kish, and you'll be closer to the end result track you'd get from the U87, IMO. The 4060 and Um70 are your choices if you're looking for (very) similar to 87i while saving SOME money. They're not "cheap" though.

As a vocalist who loved U87i mics on me for years...and having used the amount of others...my advice should save you time. If you take it. I've given you the short list. You can see the prices of them.

On the high end, I'll tell you to look at Manley's Black, InnertubeAudio's 87 mod, Neumann's M149, Vintage 67/M269, and Korby's KAT C12 and U67m heads. If you care to know.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall40 ➑️
The absolute best bang for buck microphones are made by AudioTechnica.

forget the Chinese... go Japanese.

AT4050 - enuf said.
You wont find anything made in China that has U87 style sound, or that is sonically similar to a U87, etc....

Microphone sales/choice is the one area where comparing sound clips online is the least useful biggest waste of your time. WHen you get the mic, even if you get a real U87, and use it on your own gear, it will never sound anything like the clips you listened to. It is self deception to think that when you listen to those demo clips you are hearing the sound of the mic only and everything else in their chain was completely transparent and neutral.

There is no substitute for buying the mics and using them side by side on your own gear with your own musicians in order to decide which mic (of the ones you can afford) is best for your needs.

Somebody tried to tell me this same thing 3 or 4 years ago. Now that I've cycled through buying and selling 2 or 3 dozen mics (in my price range) I know exactly why they tried to tell me. Listening to all of those mic demo clips was a total waste of my time. Only by having the mics in hand and recording them and playing them back side by side was I able to determine accuratley and honestly which mics (of the ones I could possibly afford) I would enjoy working with.

And, yes.....one of them is an SM7.....everybody recommends that one for a very good reason. I wish I woulda bought the SM7 first, woulda saved me a lot of money testing other mics.
I'm definitely considering an SM7, I will be renting one tomorrow.
πŸ“ Reply