Quantcast
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help! - Page 12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!
Old 7th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Well that makes that decision easier, haha.
Old 6th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➡️

I just bought a Kel HM-7U and I think it sounds great, nice presence on it.
I'm thinking of getting a mic good for all round.. say pop vocals.. clear bright.. general use.. would you recommend the HM-7U mate? thanks
Old 17th April 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkikis ➡️
I'm thinking of getting a mic good for all round.. say pop vocals.. clear bright.. general use.. would you recommend the HM-7U mate? thanks
If it's your price range, I'd recommend the Kel Audio Song Sparrow instead.
Old 17th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Currently, I don’t own any Kel mic, but I’d love to have at least a couple of them. I’ve been following Kel since 06/07 timeframes. I’ve seen and heard just too many nice clips and good reviews to dismiss this company. Plus, I really dig the fact that Kel is doing his own thing—not trying to imitate any other mic design. I think that’s really cool.

Chris
Old 18th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➡️
Who cares if I need improvement? If I wouldn't, I'd be producing Major Label artists and I'm not. I'm only 22 so I got many years to get better. Wow I guess I'll leave my accomplishments to myself. I just wanted to let other people know that you can still get songs published with cheapo mics... Whatever man. You're just trying to piss me off. I think I smell some jealousy.
I'd let him to stew in his own juices. He doesn't sound like a happy man.

You've done really well with a cheap mic and some people don't like that - for some reason.
Old 18th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucho ➡️
I'd let him to stew in his own juices. He doesn't sound like a happy man.

You've done really well with a cheap mic and some people don't like that - for some reason.
Haha, funny to read such things from a younger Chris. The last two times I commented on one of his posts was because he behaved like the typical arrogant gearsnob looking down on the typical beginner who was praising his low end setup...
(something like 'you sound like a hobbyist noob and are not in a position to judge what real high end gear means to us pros'...)
Old 23rd May 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've got a studio projects b1 and a mxl 990. The b1 wins hands down. Very clear, silent and clean top end.
Old 23rd May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Speaking of Kel, I'm in love with my Kel HM2d for vocal duties. Sounds like an improved SM7b to my ears: warm, punchy and rounded, yet more crisp and open. At 199 brand new, it's the absolute best bargain out there, IMHO.
Old 4th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 ➡️
Haha, funny to read such things from a younger Chris. The last two times I commented on one of his posts was because he behaved like the typical arrogant gearsnob looking down on the typical beginner who was praising his low end setup...
(something like 'you sound like a hobbyist noob and are not in a position to judge what real high end gear means to us pros'...)
A while ago I was following a thread, did Chris Lago ever sell his one million records?
Old 19th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I recently have become a friend and collaborator with a guy who has worked for the last thirty years in some of the top studios in the world..... See the blurb below *
Every day he uses 47s, 67s, 84s, 87s, 414s, C12s, RCA ribbons etc.

He recently has been mentoring students at an audio school where he had the opportunity to use some of the cheap mics that they keep for the newbies.

One of the mics impressed him enormously as being very closely matched to the 87...... he went out and bought one straight away..... wanna know what it was ???

A $250 M-Audio Solaris..... American design made in China. At the time he couldn't find a new one so he bought a mint condition used one for $150.

The other cheapie that blew him away and he now owns is the Rode M3...... $120 brand new.

They rub shoulders in his studio with his Vintage RCA Ribbon and the SM58 that he recorded David Bowie with at the Hit Factory.....

Thought some of you shoeless, starving fellas, might like to know that..... I know I did.

* A senior in-house recording and mix engineer for artists such as The Rolling Stones, Duran Duran, Bon Jovi, Joan Jett, Cyndi Lauper.
His engineering credits can be found on multi-platinum selling records such as Midnight Oil’s ‘Diesel & Dust’ and David Bowie’s ‘Tin Machine II,"
Old 21st November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Looking at vocal mic upgrade options and wanting a condenser, but also considering my less than ideal room, I'm leaning heavily toward a Real Neumann KMS 105.

I see who's using them live and how they sound with close up vocals and I'm impressed.

Also getting lots of recommendations on BeyerDynamic M-88TG and the Sennheiser MD 441-U
Old 25th December 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES ➡️
I also thought a long time a cheap China Mic could give me the U 87 sound.
Till the day a friend of mine borrowed me his U87 for one weekend.

No race.

The China Mics just try to copy the German developing which in many cases has taken Neumann years.

The sad side of the story is the copy it bad cheap crappy.
To much highs sounding sizzle...etc.

If a 200 Euro china mic could stand the Neumann style Mic I guess Neumann would close the doors because the costs are much higher in Germany as in China.
Sounds about right, but the Kel Audio Sparrow is intriguing...
-Clark
Old 21st April 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...new low-end option for U87-style sound, the 3U "Warbler" (3 voice setting options) with a K67-style capsule and 87-style transformer:
3U Audio Warbler Condenser Microphone Switchable Sound Styles Vocal Instrument | eBay

This newly released LDC mic boast a very smooth and balanced sounding U87-influenced voicing...none of the cheap, edgy, typical hyped top-end hash so common to mics in this price range...very similar in sound and quality to the now discontinued KEL Audio mics, surprisingly good value at these price-points:
http://www.3uaudio.com/index.asp

Last edited by kidvybes; 22nd April 2015 at 10:23 PM..
📝 Reply