Quantcast
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help! - Page 11 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!
Old 28th February 2010 | Show parent
  #301
Lives for gear
 
carlheinz's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
On the less expensive...I was listening to demo of a friend of mines and the vocal had a certain sound the stood out in a good way with this girl singer...anyway it was the "Blue Bird" by Blue Mics.A bit on the bright side but it sat well in the track.
Old 1st March 2010 | Show parent
  #302
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
Thanks, means a lot seriously.



Yeah why not? post some here!

K...First I'll say nothing and if you like I will tell you
what gear was used with the mic...I've had several configurations.

1.) Father Son cover:
SoundClick artist: SecretSolace - Dream Sequence music that quantifies subconscious thoughts, feelings and emotion, finding an unknown
2.) Don't Give up cover:
SoundClick artist: SecretSolace - Dream Sequence music that quantifies subconscious thoughts, feelings and emotion, finding an unknown


HD Crashed so I do not have any .wav files.
Let me know what you think.

If you get bored and want to hear an instrumental listen to this:
SoundClick artist: SecretSolace - Dream Sequence music that quantifies subconscious thoughts, feelings and emotion, finding an unknown
Old 1st March 2010 | Show parent
  #303
Gear Addict
 
always_ending's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Innovation ➑️
K...First I'll say nothing and if you like I will tell you
what gear was used with the mic...I've had several configurations.

1.) Father Son cover:
SoundClick artist: SecretSolace - Dream Sequence music that quantifies subconscious thoughts, feelings and emotion, finding an unknown
2.) Don't Give up cover:
SoundClick artist: SecretSolace - Dream Sequence music that quantifies subconscious thoughts, feelings and emotion, finding an unknown


HD Crashed so I do not have any .wav files.
Let me know what you think.

If you get bored and want to hear an instrumental listen to this:
SoundClick artist: SecretSolace - Dream Sequence music that quantifies subconscious thoughts, feelings and emotion, finding an unknown

Sounds like some Phil Collins work going on there... I like the feel of the vox in that, real warm, not harsh at all. I'd be interested in what mics/pres/comp/etc you were using here in the sig chain
Old 1st March 2010 | Show parent
  #304
What kind of setup do you have for your vox? Sounds pretty decent.
Old 1st March 2010 | Show parent
  #305
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by always_ending ➑️
Sounds like some Phil Collins work going on there... I like the feel of the vox in that, real warm, not harsh at all. I'd be interested in what mics/pres/comp/etc you were using here in the sig chain
Thank you for listening, man.
The first one was a Peter Gabriel cover and I was running
a Digi 002 with an Alesis half rack Reverb box W/ a Mogami Edition
V69 stock tube. No compressors or anything else.

The 2nd track was another Peter Gabriel cover...
Running Cubase 5 64bit (used the reverb from C5)
Presonus Firebox
Presonus BlueTube Mic Pre
Mogami Edition V69 (stock tube)

I really love this mic!
I feel it is warm, isn't harsh but to me, is silky smooth.
Got it used on CL for $100.00 too!
I haven't felt the need to upgrade the tube so far.

Just for sh!ts and grinshehthe last track was
all programmed via my Triton Extreme, haha! No guitars were harmed in
the making of that track...

Take care
Old 1st March 2010 | Show parent
  #306
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
What kind of setup do you have for your vox? Sounds pretty decent.
Well I really wish I had a uh, more "professional" vox rig
but I spent my money on my VisionDAW Hybrid PC
and EWQL soft synths So I figured I'd get a professional
DAW that works, gets down to low latency and get professional sounding
VST soft synths....

I think for the price paid:
-Firebox via Amazon= $150.00
-BlueTube mic pre=$170.00
-MXL V69=$100.00

I got an exceptional rig (for the price) of course

I'm not the greatest mixing guy out there and it shows, which sucks.
I mean the noise floor suffers (Firebox related?) Or me not having the correct levels.
Old 1st March 2010 | Show parent
  #307
Well it sounds good, you're doing a great job with what you have seriously.
Old 1st March 2010 | Show parent
  #308
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
Well it sounds good, you're doing a great job with what you have seriously.
Wow, I'm humbled...but now what?
I really want to perform live n stuff like that but I haven't a clue what
to do or how to do it.

Thank you for the kind words Chris.
Old 2nd March 2010 | Show parent
  #309
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
I kinda figured I'd hear crickets after posting my specs!

I don't think people like to hear about lo-mid fi gear, but I feel
you can get near professional sound without breaking the bank.
Old 2nd March 2010 | Show parent
  #310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Innovation ➑️
Wow, I'm humbled...but now what?
I really want to perform live n stuff like that but I haven't a clue what
to do or how to do it.

Thank you for the kind words Chris.
You could form a band
Old 3rd March 2010 | Show parent
  #311
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
You could form a band
That is a good idea!
I've been told I have a giant ego as well!!!

Anyway, the reason for posting in this thread is that

Peter Gabriel took two U87's, taped them together and recorded.

I found out (getting free tickets to one of his concerts) that my voice is eerily similar in tonality to that of PG...So I thought since the MXL V69
suits my voice very well, I thought it might be somewhat close to the performance of a u87.
Old 3rd March 2010 | Show parent
  #312
Lives for gear
 
Michael_Joly's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Your voice may be similar to Peter Gabriel's, but an MXL v69 is not similar to a U 87. Both of the graphs below are smoothed curves. The U 87ai graph doesn't show the characteristic "3kHz honk" and the v69 graph doesn't really convey the extent to which the top end is divorced from the midrange.

Now a mod'd RODE NT1a - that sounds like a vintage U 87 - and it doesn't even say "87" in the model name ; )
Attached Thumbnails
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!-u87ai.jpg   I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!-v69freqresp2.jpg  
Old 3rd March 2010 | Show parent
  #313
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
Your voice may be similar to Peter Gabriel's, but an MXL v69 is not similar to a U 87. Both of the graphs below are smoothed curves. The U 87ai graph doesn't show the characteristic "3kHz honk" and the v69 graph doesn't really convey the extent to which the top end is divorced from the midrange.

Now a mod'd RODE NT1a - that sounds like a vintage U 87 - and it doesn't even say "87" in the model name ; )
I never made the implication...
However it is good of you to post graphs that show this

I had thought (wrong) that they would be similar

I never liked my old RODE NT1a...I quickly got rid of it.
What type of mods would be needed?

Oh, and what if you cutoff the V69's higher frequency to match the U87's graph?
I'm certain there is a reason why a V69 sells new for $299 while the u87 has another digit in there.
Old 3rd March 2010 | Show parent
  #314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Innovation ➑️
That is a good idea!
I've been told I have a giant ego as well!!!

Anyway, the reason for posting in this thread is that

Peter Gabriel took two U87's, taped them together and recorded.

I found out (getting free tickets to one of his concerts) that my voice is eerily similar in tonality to that of PG...So I thought since the MXL V69
suits my voice very well, I thought it might be somewhat close to the performance of a u87.
Hey, I wish I could tell you that the MXL V69me sounded like a U87, but it doesn't sound close unfortunately. The u87 is a lot more solid,wider in the bass, a lot lighter in the bass too, and a lot honkier in the 2k, 3k range, while not having the sizzling highs of the U87.
Old 3rd March 2010 | Show parent
  #315
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
Hey, I wish I could tell you that the MXL V69me sounded like a U87, but it doesn't sound close unfortunately. The u87 is a lot more solid,wider in the bass, a lot lighter in the bass too, and a lot honkier in the 2k, 3k range, while not having the sizzling highs of the U87.
It is all good!
I was thinking out loud, I wish I could have a u87.
Old 3rd March 2010 | Show parent
  #316
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
you should check out a gefell um70. they can be found in the $700 range and are similar to the u87. i did a blind test with a pixar engineer and he picked the gefell over his u87ai. u also mention that the mic you are thinking about sounds harsher than the u87. that must be a lot of harshness, as the 87 is a bit crispy to begin with.
Old 25th April 2010 | Show parent
  #317
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Chris, did u ever try out that Shure, SM7??????
Old 25th April 2010 | Show parent
  #318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightokondriak ➑️
Chris, did u ever try out that Shure, SM7??????
I own the Sm7a.
Old 25th April 2010 | Show parent
  #319
Lives for gear
 
Mark D.'s Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The Gauge clip you put up sounds really good. I think they have a return policy on it. Also, since I don't think anyone has it, and you are someone who is really into testing and reporting results with gear, you could be an ideal candidate to try it out. I'm personally not impressed with the actul U-87ai they make now. Older ones I've not heard much of myself, but it seems they are not as much for cutting as smooth vocals. The Studio Projects C1 (mine modded by Mike Joly) before or after the mod never sounded anything like the U87 to me (what a lot of marketing hype that was). I'd say try the Gauge, and let us know.
Old 26th April 2010 | Show parent
  #320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. ➑️
The Gauge clip you put up sounds really good. I think they have a return policy on it. Also, since I don't think anyone has it, and you are someone who is really into testing and reporting results with gear, you could be an ideal candidate to try it out. I'm personally not impressed with the actul U-87ai they make now. Older ones I've not heard much of myself, but it seems they are not as much for cutting as smooth vocals. The Studio Projects C1 (mine modded by Mike Joly) before or after the mod never sounded anything like the U87 to me (what a lot of marketing hype that was). I'd say try the Gauge, and let us know.
I had one but sold it. Didn't fit my voice. I'll save some money and buy a Sony c800g.
Old 28th April 2010 | Show parent
  #321
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Thumbs down hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog ➑️
So if that is true tell us the names or the tracks and we can check the credit list. Easy.

Chris doesnt have to prove anything to you.. I got some really big tracks out as well you dont see me talking about it every chance I get. my friend lee wilson is also a fetured artidt on real world, so what.. grow up and talk about the subject in the header.. this isnt a contest, its a community~!
Old 28th April 2010 | Show parent
  #322
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool978 ➑️
Chris doesnt have to prove anything to you.. I got some really big tracks out as well you dont see me talking about it every chance I get. my friend lee wilson is also a fetured artidt on real world, so what.. grow up and talk about the subject in the header.. this isnt a contest, its a community~!
He can check out the song that was chosen for the CW show Melrose Place, that should be easy to find since my name is in their playlist And I had used an ADK Generis GC-1 for vox on the track, it was a good $100 investment heh
Old 28th April 2010 | Show parent
  #323
Lives for gear
 
Michael_Joly's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
People still looking for a U87 style of a mic at a decent price range can now look here.
Old 28th April 2010 | Show parent
  #324
Here for the gear
 
ClarkKent's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Not to hijack or anything but which mic would you guys suggest:

Kel Audio Hm2d or the Gauge ECM-87?

And Chris would u suggest the hm7u for hip hop/rap vocals? Im thinking about just getting the hm7u instead of the hm2d.
The hm2d and hm7 are pretty close to me the only thing I noticed was the hm7 just seems more rich overall.
Also, big fan of the music chris. Keep doin what ur doin!
Old 1st May 2010 | Show parent
  #325
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestudioguy ➑️
Try an sE Electronics SE2200A ($299). I did an A/B awhile back with a '70s Neumann U87 and surprisingly, the SE2200A had similar sonic characteristics. Of course, the SE2200A did not have the level of dimension and "air" of the U87 but it had similar characteristics nonetheless.
Of course, always try before you buy if you can.
I really despise my SE2200A, but I think it might be broken (doesn't give a consistent volume output)! I don't remember it being so noisy when I first got it, but damn it's annoying. Not really any reason why it'd be broken either. Too harsh in the highs for me anyway, mine doesn't sound anywhere near a U87.

U87 for me is characterised by the softer high end, there's still a peak in there but it's much more controlled. You really start to notice it when applying processing in my opinion, not as obvious in a direct clean comparison sometimes.
Old 1st May 2010 | Show parent
  #326
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
I have an ADK Hamburg 67 AU Custom Shop which is a fantastic sounding mic. It's not an exact clone of a U87 but Larry from ADK designed it to sound very close.
Old 1st May 2010 | Show parent
  #327
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkKent ➑️
Not to hijack or anything but which mic would you guys suggest:

Kel Audio Hm2d or the Gauge ECM-87?

And Chris would u suggest the hm7u for hip hop/rap vocals? Im thinking about just getting the hm7u instead of the hm2d.
The hm2d and hm7 are pretty close to me the only thing I noticed was the hm7 just seems more rich overall.
Also, big fan of the music chris. Keep doin what ur doin!
...for hiphop vocals, of the mics you mentioned, the HM-2d would be my choice...it's a condenser mic voiced to sound similar to a good dynamic (think SM7)...has a nice top-end rolloff and adds a "thickness" to vocal tracks...on the other hand, the HM-7u is a bit brighter with more air & sheen, and works well for RnB vocals...I'd skip the Gauge all together...

...but, if your mic pre is up to it (65dB or more gain)) I'd go straight for a Shure SM7B...great proximity effect for "in-your-face" hiphop vocal tracks...
Old 5th May 2010 | Show parent
  #328
Lives for gear
 
Michael_Joly's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Dr. Bill was recently on the same quest - here are a few contenders he hunted down....

...from top, moving clockwise - Neumann U 87, mod'd RODE NT1a, MJ "019" prototype, mod'd MK-219, MJE-K47H
Attached Thumbnails
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!-ineedu87.jpg  
Old 6th May 2010 | Show parent
  #329
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Michael, for somebody with both a Rode NT1-A (I actually had it modded by a guy named John Bonnell, though it is much different than your mod I'd imagine) and an MXL 991, would it be better to get the Rode mod from you or to buy the MJE-K47H for the 991 and call it good?
Old 6th May 2010 | Show parent
  #330
Lives for gear
 
Michael_Joly's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wefandango ➑️
Michael, for somebody with both a Rode NT1-A (I actually had it modded by a guy named John Bonnell, though it is much different than your mod I'd imagine) and an MXL 991, would it be better to get the Rode mod from you or to buy the MJE-K47H for the 991 and call it good?
There are new MJE-K47H samples vs. the U 87 that just went up so you can get a good feel for how a K47H / 991 combo would sound.

re: your NT1a - I offer an unconditional, permanent, warrantee on my work to the original owner. I can only do this if I'm not only one who has worked on a mic. So I'll have to politely decline the opportunity to work on your NT1a.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 60 views: 19247
Avatar for dibravibra
dibravibra 19th October 2020
replies: 1178 views: 264734
Avatar for bill5
bill5 1 week ago
replies: 156 views: 19110
Avatar for Lenzo
Lenzo 28th October 2012
replies: 6381 views: 808953
Avatar for Wilks832
Wilks832 2 days ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump