Quantcast
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help! - Page 10 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Guys - I have been using the MXL Genesis and I am blown away - used it on a girl vocal (kinda like Norah Jones) and I have been using it on my own vocals and that is my new favorite mic.

I have access to just about anything and I am loving this!!

Phil
Old 18th May 2009 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by philbone ➑️
Guys - I have been using the MXL Genesis and I am blown away - used it on a girl vocal (kinda like Norah Jones) and I have been using it on my own vocals and that is my new favorite mic.

I have access to just about anything and I am loving this!!

Phil
post some samples!
Old 18th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Agreed you have peaked my interest.
Old 10th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As this is the most popular "I need a U 87-like mic" thread, and I believe its best to keep like-information grouped together rather than start a new thread, here's a recent development:

Modified RODE NT1a vs 70's 'purple badge' U 87.

A fairly large listener sample size (over 80 votes) shows the difficulty of correctly identifying the U 87.
Old 11th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
Ok but some of you are talking like I don't have a clue how to record... Get an sm57 and learn mic techniques? Come on now, I have an sm57 already and I know how to use it. What I am asking here is if there is a mic that would sound closer to a U87 without having to pay 3000 for it. I don't need to know how to use mics, I've used them for 10 years already haha. I have licensed songs on MTV and people pay me to produce them, so being a beginner is out of the question. I just cannot afford the hefty price for a U-87 right now.

Here are some song examples of my voice (I mastered "Not My Lover" to Britney's Womanizer, similar Dynamics):
Very nice mixes!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
this thread =
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental ➑️
buy the original when you need the sound of u87
punished neumann by buying a crap copy,
sry who had make a great development ( circuits ) ?
neumann or the other cheap copy farts ?
Ummkayyyy
Attached Thumbnails
I need a U87 style of mic at a decent price range, help!-2008-02-23-mackie.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Word up Chris ....

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, what about having a phone around and speak to local studios in your area that have a decent collection of mics that you'd be interested in trying out and spend however many hours at whatever place takes your fancy?

At least that way you'll find out what works for you, as you know, even though some folks will rave about this that or the other, when it comes to the crunch and say for arguments sake bought a U87 and didn't like it, would be a huge waste of coin, or failing that, you might have a shop that has a demo room for you to try out as many mics as you can to find the one you're after?
Old 12th February 2010 | Show parent
Hey, this thread is a bit old (last May), and I tried a couple of U87s and didn't like the sound. I think the Sony c800g/Rode Classic I fits my voice well. I'll save up and buy one this summer. I'm going to a new studio next week for a paid vocal session, let's see what they have.
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
c800g is very expensive! lol...

Did you try any of the Brauner mics like the VM1 or Valvet?

I'd test a couple more things out before you dish out 6-8Gs for a C800g.

I must say, I just purchased a u87ai man....they are in another class than a lot of the low end mics...
it really is a good mic when processed well..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic ➑️
c800g is very expensive! lol...

Did you try any of the Brauner mics like the VM1 or Valvet?

I'd test a couple more things out before you dish out 6-8Gs for a C800g.

I must say, I just purchased a u87ai man....they are in another class than a lot of the low end mics...
it really is a good mic when processed well..
I seriously wish I liked the U87ai, It just wasn't for me, didn't sound right on my voice through either the 1073 or 737. The c800g can be had for 3.5k used. I've seen it go for that price a couple of times. I've used it with a 737 and 1073, the sound is off the charts. No EQ needed basically. I was thinking of buying a Brauner Phantom C, but I changed my mind. Fletcher is so right when he says that you have to buy something real good once instead of buying cheap and buying twice. The one that looks interesting is the Bock 5 Zero 7, If I can afford it this summer I'll probably try it out, see if I like it. I'm content with what I have right now.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
AT 4050 as close as it gets as the low mids a u87 has for less than 1000 , same boxy sound plus it has a correct high end not like the 87ai harsh high end
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I must have a dozen clients that have sold or benched their U 87ai mics after hearing a modified Oktava MK-219 - all the lower midrange punch you would expect from a U 87 but none of the honk and sibilance. Oh, and less money than an AT 4050.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michj ➑️
AT 4050 as close as it gets as the low mids a u87 has for less than 1000 , same boxy sound plus it has a correct high end not like the 87ai harsh high end
Ha so true, came up to this conclusion too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
I must have a dozen clients that have sold or benched their U 87ai mics after hearing a modified Oktava MK-219 - all the lower midrange punch you would expect from a U 87 but none of the honk and sibilance. Oh, and less money than an AT 4050.
There's just something about the ai that I don't like, I wouldn't be surprised if you mod sounded better. Unfortunately I need to dose off on the budget mics and get something worthwhile, that my clients and me will adore and possibly recognise. It's the problem when you run a studio, people pay more if they see a brand they know, such as Telefunken or Neumann for example.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
...get something worthwhile, that my clients and me will adore and possibly recognise. It's the problem when you run a studio, people pay more if they see a brand they know, such as Telefunken or Neumann for example.
That's a small minority of the Gearslutz demographic (or Tape Op et al) - ie: folks who run a commercial facility and need to attract clients with mic badges. The majority of people on these forums are more motivated by a maximum sound value proposition because they are independent artists and don't need 'big name' products to make their music. Ask to see the Gearslutz or Tape Op advertising demographics for a real eye opener.
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
C800g for 3,500? That must have been a once in a lifetime look... lol where did you see that? If so, I'll be the first buyer.
Old 19th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
With 184 votes cast as of today (a hefty samply size), a modified Rode NT1a and 70's vintage U 87 are nearly tied for being selected as the U 87.
Can you ID the U 87?

Read the story, hear the files, place your vote and tell what you heard.
Old 19th February 2010 | Show parent
Quote:
With 184 votes cast as of today (a hefty samply size), a modified Rode NT1a and 70's vintage U 87 are nearly tied for being selected as the U 87.
Can you ID the U 87?

Read the story, hear the files, place your vote and tell what you heard.
All in all, I think if you use the modified NT1 with a Neve style pre, it'll sound awesome because it'll soften up the highs and fatten up the lows.
Old 20th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Beta58

Beta58 ,

Sometimes on a vocal i will use a 87 and sometimes I use the 58 it for some reason just has a good sound.
Old 26th February 2010 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartholomewpro ➑️
Beta58 ,

Sometimes on a vocal i will use a 87 and sometimes I use the 58 it for some reason just has a good sound.
I have used the Beta 58 and it's nowhere near as good as a Neumann U87, in the studio, in a treated room, with a good pre. Maybe a live mic yes, but come on now.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Trying to match a U87 with something less expensive seems to be everyones goal and I'm not sure it's possible.

A few years back my friends and I did an A/B with an SE Electronics SE2200A and a 1987 Neumann U87. We did it an Oxide Lounge Recording thru a Neotek Elan into RADAR 24.

Some here will say that the SE2200A doesnt even come close to a U87 and they are certainly allowed to have their opinion.

However, much to our surprise, there were clearly some sonic similarities.
However, the U87 had more "air", more "depth" and more clarity.

I'm sure there are mics out there at a lower price point that sound similar to a U87 but I just don't know of any.

I'd love to get an "Arts" grant to do the research and see what comes closest!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mod'ing an NT1a to match a 70's U 87 was not a goal - it was happenstance. I just did what I believe the NT1a needs (capsule and headbasket re-voicing) then put it up against the only classic mic I own. I'm still as surprised as everybody who voted for the mod'd NT1a as the being the U 87.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Mod'ing an NT1a to match a 70's U 87 was not a goal - it was happenstance. I just did what I believe the NT1a needs (capsule and headbasket re-voicing) then put it up against the only classic mic I own. I'm still as surprised as everybody who voted for the mod'd NT1a as the being the U 87.
I voted for B=Neumann then went to the link/forum and saw that I was right.
The U87 just has that special "something" (air/depth) although the mod'd NT1A sounds much better than a stock one.
Old 27th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You're describing the almost intangible difference between discrete and surface mount components at work.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartholomewpro ➑️
Beta58 ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
I have used the Beta 58 and it's nowhere near as good as a Neumann U87, in the studio, in a treated room, with a good pre. Maybe a live mic yes, but come on now.
Ive swapped a U87 for a Beta58a before. the U87 was just to harsh for the particular singer and the beta58a was very close in many ways without the harshness. A good pre makes more of a difference to a dynamic anyway. One of those times when mic, pre and comp, all seemed to just work beautifully.

Better is subjective and entirely depends on the source.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by michj ➑️

We tested an AT4050 with our JJ Aduio V67g mod in Philly. The 4050 is a great mic in its own right, however Storyville had said he felt somthing was lacking in sound. When we compared the mics the V67g modded mic had a nicer mid range more like the U87, and slightly more highs than the 4050.

I am currently testing transformers for this mod.

Stay tuned

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have an AT 4050, and i think its a bit bright for most stuff.

Chris, your tracks sound awesome. I think no matter what you use, or
are using, you will sound great, because you no how to use your gear,
and you're a great musician.

The gear chase is a life long, ongoing thing, so take your time.

In the meantime, you're sounding great. Keep up the good work bro!

TK
Old 28th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
post some samples!
Hey there Chris...
I have intimate experience with an MXL V69 (Mogami Edition)
mic if you'd like to hear some samples?
Old 28th February 2010 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd ➑️
I have an AT 4050, and i think its a bit bright for most stuff.

Chris, your tracks sound awesome. I think no matter what you use, or
are using, you will sound great, because you no how to use your gear,
and you're a great musician.

The gear chase is a life long, ongoing thing, so take your time.

In the meantime, you're sounding great. Keep up the good work bro!

TK
Thanks, means a lot seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Innovation ➑️
Hey there Chris...
I have intimate experience with an MXL V69 (Mogami Edition)
mic if you'd like to hear some samples?
Yeah why not? post some here!
πŸ“ Reply