Old 29th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Some issues with bass traps

Can i make a bass trap (or mid-frequency absorber) out from wool panel that is:

55.5 cm wide
59 cm long
6.2 cm deep

And do i need any wood elements or fabrics?
If so, what kind of?
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Supposing you haven't already found the "Studio construction & acoustics" section of this forum: of course you can build it, but it depends on your room if it will be sufficient.

I doubt that 6.2 cm will be sufficiently deep, though. Try to find some rockwool (or fiberglass or whatever) that is at least 10 cm deep, for small rooms sometimes even 15 cm is recommended.

For general info, read this thread.

As for the wood: this depends on what you're trying to do with your bass trap. If you're trying to build one that has one sound reflecting side and one sound absorbing side, you can use plywood for the reflecting side. For bass traps that you put against the wall, this is a good idea. For bass traps straddling a corner, you should avoid wood. Here's why.

As for the fabric: this you will need in any case, to keep tiny fibers from floating around in the air and getting into your lungs. Most fabrics are OK for this; I personally used old mattress cover sheets.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…