Quantcast
Ground Noise Hum from Monitors - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ground Noise Hum from Monitors
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Unhappy Ground Noise Hum from Monitors

Hi, I have a pair of M-audio BX5a's into a M-audio FastTrack Pro... I knew I could hear ground noise from my monitors, but when they were on the table I couldn't hear almost anything... but now, that I got them into the Ultimate Stand's 45B, I hear ALOT of ground noise when they're ON, not playing any music... What should I do to prevent this? This means that my ac isn't grounded? I have one of those "protection" boxes, that just protect from electrical discharges... What can I do about that? Thanks
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
check and make sure that the audio cables going to the monitors are not running parallel to any power cords. Try running all of the power down the right side and all audio signal down the left. If the lines must cross make sure that it is at a 90 degree angle. that should help.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I don't know but I believe the trouble comes from my house electricity not being grounded or something... because when I pass my fingers on my computer I can feel that "vibration" from the electricity, while in my older house I didn't
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Home Depot sells a little $2 tester that you plug into your outlet and it'll tell you if the outlets are wired properly.

Do your outlets have three prong connectors? Or are they the older two prong style?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sptz ➑️
I don't know but I believe the trouble comes from my house electricity not being grounded or something... because when I pass my fingers on my computer I can feel that "vibration" from the electricity, while in my older house I didn't
The Ebtech HumX things work awesome. I had ground hum coming from my monitors, and I put the HumX on the end of my power amp power cord, hum and noise is gone.

Ebtech Hum X | Sweetwater.com
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I live in Europe, Portugal. So it's the two prong styles, and I believe it's 230V over here
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmmm, wish I could give you some good advice!

You might see if there are any power conditioner products for your system, like what Furman makes. They can be quite helpful (at least here in the States!)

Good luck!
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
i had the same problem, try using balanced cables from the maudio monitors to your soundcard.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Would something like this work?

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/qua...aac7a5bede.jpg
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
yep by the looks of those its a balance cable, just ask the store you getting it from
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yes, but you think that could help solve the problem?

Also, is this worthwhile? THE T.RACKS PC 200 - U.K. International Cyberstore

Will it help in any way?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, but you think that could help solve the problem?

Also, is this worthwhile? THE T.RACKS PC 200 - U.K. International Cyberstore

Will it help in any way?
before you buy anything expensive, try changing the cables first, then come back here if it dont work
πŸ“ Reply