SDC Pair for under 1k - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SDC Pair for under 1k
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
SDC Pair for under 1k

Hello,
I've been doing some searching around and some listening and wanted some opinions on SDC Pairs that would be under a 1k that would be used mainly for acoustic work / drum overheads. I have a pair of Studio Projects C4 and would like to upgrade to something a little better. Here are the 3 choices I've come up with at the moment:

AT 4041
Peluso CECM6
Josepshon C42

The type of music that I play / record is Acoustic Rock but I also have some friends who come over and record more of Alternative Rock type of sound (i.e. Raconteurs, White Stripes, Black Keys, BRMC).

Any suggestions other than these 3? Out of these 3 which would you rate for best quality for the price? The Peluso's sound pretty nice, especially on acoustic guitar.

Peace,
Lank
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I really like my stereo pair of CEMC6's. They're fantastic on flattop guitar, both fingerstyle and strummed. I've also had great success with them on violin. They're maybe a little bright, but it's nothing that a db or so of EQ at the top end can't fix.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

AT4051 is a good choice. Personally, if you can stretch to $1800, you should get a pair of Earthworks SR30.

The other way you could go is a pair of Kel HM1, a pair of ATM450, and money left over for other mics. That would give you some options. The ATM450 is great for overheads and the Kels are awsome for acoustic intruments in decent sounding rooms.

-tINY

Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Don't know the others personally, but the Josepshon C42's rock. thumbsup
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➑️
I really like my stereo pair of CEMC6's. They're fantastic on flattop guitar, both fingerstyle and strummed. I've also had great success with them on violin. They're maybe a little bright, but it's nothing that a db or so of EQ at the top end can't fix.
+1 love the CEMC6's for acoustic strings and overheads!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love my AT4051a's. They're very wide and flat. Everything else in that price range sounds hyped in the high end to me.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hyped High End

Sacha from audio clips it can seem like a few of these mid range mics have a hyped up high end but I'm sure EQ could help that a bit. It doesn't seem to harsh though.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has had any success with SM81s and/or AT 4041s? I know someone who would sell me a pair of AT 4041s for 400$ and have only been used a handful of times. I've seen SM81 Pairs for decent prices on the Ebay as well. How does these mics do?

Lank
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pair of sm-81's works great for that style of music...

Pair of Oktavamod Mc012 would be a lot less than $1000....
and they sound great!
Gear Guru
I have tried Sm-81s and they are a great choice.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The Eagles used SM81s, I do believe. They can be a bit grainy and lack high end (but that's better than brittle high end), but it's a proven sound.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lank81 ➑️

Also, I was wondering if anyone has had any success with SM81s and/or AT 4041s? I know someone who would sell me a pair of AT 4041s for 400$ and have only been used a handful of times. I've seen SM81 Pairs for decent prices on the Ebay as well. How does these mics do?

They all do fine. You should worry about the instruments and the acoustic space more....

I'd jump on the 4041 pair. They are perfectly useable and you will always be able to get your money back if you decide you don't like them later. But, they'll get you started.

Spend your nervous energy on mic placement and acoustic treatment.

-tINY

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
New Room on the Way

Tiny thanks for all the helpful info. I'm actually going to be building a new recording area. I'm going to be framing out my attic and have a control room separate of the recording area. The control room will be like 12 x 10 and the live area will be 12x20. There will also be a bathroom, that isn't for recording purposes, just bathroom breaks . As for Acoustics I'm going to work on some of the DIY stuff. I have like 8 4'x8' high quality 3/4" plywood and want to get some OC 703 & 705 and make my own bass traps / acoustic absorption. The only thing that could be good / bad is the room has 12 foot cathedral ceilings. I'm thinking about what the best way is to treat that. any thoughts?

Lank
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

12 foot cathederal ceilings are a good thing. The only thing you might want to do is attach a few pulleys for flying clouds up there if the need arises.

-tINY

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️

12 foot cathederal ceilings are a good thing. The only thing you might want to do is attach a few pulleys for flying clouds up there if the need arises.

-tINY

Can you elaborate on the flying clouds on pulleys thingy....sorry for my ignorance. Thanks Tiny.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

A cloud is a sheet of plywood or plexyglass, sometimes with absorbtive material or diffraction devices on one or both sides that is put above the floor and below the ceiling. This can change the acoustics significantly.

Acoustic Ceiling Clouds for Noise Control Products & Acoustic Improvement
Acoustical Sound Absorbing Ceiling Clouds

-tINY

Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
The Oktava MK-012 is a huge winner regardless of price range, on ac gtr it is still my first reach and will always deliver on drum overheads as well. It's a unique mic with a sound that fits acoustic sources like a glove.

You can also get the multi-capsule sets and get even more versatile with them.

War
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
The Oktava MK-012 is a huge winner regardless of price range, on ac gtr it is still my first reach and will always deliver on drum overheads as well. It's a unique mic with a sound that fits acoustic sources like a glove.

You can also get the multi-capsule sets and get even more versatile with them.

War
I checked out the Oktavamod site today and wrote to Mike. He got back to me within 1 hour about the cardoid only capsule mod and answered some other questions. That is definitely a huge consideration right now.

Lank
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
A buddy of mine bought an Oktava for about $75 then had Mike Joly do a mod, decided he'd stick with his KM84 anyway and sold it for $250 on eBay. Unlike most mods, these seem to retain their value.

Sound damn good, too.

Jasper
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I can't say much for them since I've never tried them but...

I"ve been keeping an eye on the pairs of AT 4041's that are up on Ebay. 350$ for the pair! (Just do a search and it comes up w/buy it now). If you want to cheaper, that's probably a safe bet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gefell 692/m70 sound great on overheads, great on acoustic instruments and are pretty darn flexible with capsule choices.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've gotten great results with the 4041's on acoustic guitar, but haven't tried them on OH's.
πŸ“ Reply