Advice for creating a studio environment - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice for creating a studio environment
Old 28th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Advice for creating a studio environment

Hi

My "studio" is located inside my livingroom, which is a pretty big room and has a high ceiling. I just moved in and i have no other option in the placement of my studio.

So i'm planning to isolate the studio from the rest of the room to avoid reflections etc. And the only option i have in mind so far is using curtains actually (as sidewalls), because i still have to be able to pass trough the "studio".

Placing curtains would make it a small 6,5ft x 7ft studio with curtains as sidewalls, fiberboard as front wall, and closets (which i can't move because they are built-in) as back wall.

Btw. There will be nog acoustic recording, only midi and mixing. I also sing, so that's kind of a problem also to record that in such a bad room, but it's the least important because i won't be recording any singing soon.

So do you think i will be able to mix my songs right and find the right balance using nearfield monitors, quality headphones and also a few stereo installations (just to listen and compare the results) ? I don't expect a perfect result at all btw! I know that! I just want a little balance between all the instruments.

Some help opinions be greatly appreciated. heh
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
What's the size of the untreated room?

I personally wouldn't make the "room" as small as you mentioned. Although you don't want too many reflections, you also don't want to feel like you're mixing in a closet. Simply hanging curtains on the main walls and placing some large furniture (sofa, chairs) and thick area rugs might be all you need for a low-end setup.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Well it's about 30 ft long, the first 10ft has a 9ft widt, the next 6,5ft a 7ft width (which i want to use as the studio) and the last 13ft has a 18ft width.

So it has different "segments" and i have a sofa, 2 tables, some chairs and closets in that room. These are the biggest objects.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i'd probably build 5 or so portable gobos that i could move around the room. no sense in making the room smaller than it already is, but with gobos you could control the reflections as necessary.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hm yes that's probably the best solution but i wasn't quite sure what kind of an environment i could achieve with the curtains because it's cheap and easy.

Thnx for the advice so far!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
What's your budget?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Few $100's for now
But i can save up some money if that won't be enough.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I think the moveable gobos would probably be your best option.

Here's an idea,

Cheap DIY Gobos?

You can do a search on this forum and others for more.

Also JohnLSayers.com has a lot of useful information on acoustic treatments as well as links and information on further websites and ideas.

mick
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Nice thread and website! I guess i could try the acoustic foam .

Btw. someone in the thread says "You can hang a blanket over a suspended stick of wood" and i've read things like that before so that's why i figured curtains might also do the job, but i guess it's diffirent. I really suck in room treatment :P.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Well i've already came across some possible solutions heh

1) Installing 2 absorption panels on the front wall and:
- Surrounding the rest of the studio with sunburst 360's. But i'm not sure about the bass here.
Sunburst 360s - Acoustic foam sound absorption products from Auralex Acoustics
OR
- Using moving blankets as side walls, just like my curtainsolution, but i don't know what to do with the back wall here since there are closets there. Put panels on the closets?

2) ARC: I've read good things about the ARC system and i've read bad things about the ARC system. But apparently it's a huge improvement for an untreated room! And since i'm not seeking for a high end studio at all, this would really save me out of my misery! I'm going to do some more research about this, i can always combine it with a little treatment. And this won't ruin my decoration .

I still have to do a lot of research about treatment, so if these are bad solutions, i would like to know.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd be more worried about the floor and ceiling. Hardwood? Flat or arched ceiling. Even with curtain walls, you could end up with some really odd artifacts from the other surfaces. In a normal room there's usually enough treatment with carpets, curtains and padded furniture. But eye level up is one big reflector.

As visions of a recording space being some mammoth outdoor table with canvas umbrella affixed with curtains comes to mind.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thnx Shadow.

I'll put a carpet on the floor that covers pretty much the rest of the room (i already have one in that room but doesn't cover the part where my studio is). The high ceiling is indeed a problem, it's not arched but it has a ^-shape. And except for the 2 closets, everything is padded.

On the other hand, i've been thinking it will probably be best to hire someone who will mix and master everything. So i think that this will do. The only concern i have is that i will be working with effects like reverb, delay, ... and doing some other small editing. But since someone else will be finishing it... i think this will do just fine for recording and editing, don't you think?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealRoach ➑️
I personally wouldn't make the "room" as small as you mentioned. Although you don't want too many reflections, you also don't want to feel like you're mixing in a closet. Simply hanging curtains on the main walls and placing some large furniture (sofa, chairs) and thick area rugs might be all you need for a low-end setup.
I'll try to hang some curtains on the walls. Thanks.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The space would probably be alright for soft sources. But once you amp things up, it could be very problematic. Natural reverb is good, but not if that doesn't suit your current project. You might consider some sort of suspended rods with drapes between the ceiling and floor. Or a drop ceiling to make it more controllable. But then again, if you doing a lot of churchy sing alongs, it might be a good thing.
πŸ“ Reply