Quantcast
The Rode NT5 matched pair for acoustic recordings? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Rode NT5 matched pair for acoustic recordings?
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Rode NT5 matched pair for acoustic recordings?

Im starting a small freelance project where I come to peoples homes to record their songs and provide a demo. It's only small time stuff, but am trying to aquire some reasonably good equipment to get it going. I don't have a massive budget... At the moment I have a Shure SM58 (that's proven well as an acoustic pickup mic, rock/rap vocals and as a kind of 'backup' mic), and a AKG C 414 B Large-Diaphrahm Condenser. I'm looking for a matched stereo pair of mics to do X/Y combos and the like.

It's these ones I'm on about, the Rode NT5s: Rode NT5 Matched Pair | Dolphin Music

So, does anyone have experience with these Rodes? Will they do the job fine for what I need? (recording acoustic guitars and sometimes pianos and general stereo stuff) ... ?

Cheers for any opinions
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I can't provide feedback on these mics but have been eying them for a while.

I have heard they are good for O/H's and acoustic instruments, particularly for the price ($500AU).
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyBrookson ➑️
I can't provide feedback on these mics but have been eying them for a while.

I have heard they are good for O/H's and acoustic instruments, particularly for the price ($500AU).
Cheers for reply. Yes, I've heard they're good for these too... Just wonder what others actually think of them for a project like mine. I can't go wrong with these really at that price?

Sound, build quality, the package as a whole... Worth the cash anyone?
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've had a pair for years. Very good value and fair sound. Much better than the really cheap SDC's.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been looking at those myself. Some say that they tend to be a bit bright sounding. But I don't have any experience with them myself. And bright might benefit my projected use (outdoors) of said mics. Not that I can find any samples of them to judge for myself.

I'm currently using a pair of Avenson STO-2's and like them. But they don't work too great for an audience perspective pair at a distance. And outdoors they can be a hair muddy sounding.

I'm also thinking about a pair of AT 4041's. But really I'm wanting a Crown Sass-P MK II, but want to save some cash and have the flexibility of two independent mics. MKH 8040's or DPA 4006's would be nice, but I'm not a rich man. And they might be a bit overkill for me.

But as I said, I only have my STOs as a reference for the moment.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a pair and like them alot. I use them mostly for acoustic intruments and hand percussion. I have used them for overheads and they do a good job but not great!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricfoxx ➑️
I have a pair and like them alot. I use them mostly for acoustic intruments and hand percussion. I have used them for overheads and they do a good job but not great!
Thanks for replies guys.

Acoustic instruments and hand percussion? Well... that's just perfect for me right now. I'm not expecting amazing results, and they're obviously much better mics out there... But for a sort of amatuer recorder, I can't really go wrong with these can I?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The NT5s are a great value. They are mellow mics and can have a weird low-mid whump especially on acoustic instruments. Don't position them too close and you'll be fine.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
IVE used the stereo nt 4 into an edirol 4 channel unit...the one with xlr's and had stellar results
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have a pair and they do a pretty good job all around I use them for acoustic guitar and drum overheads with satisfactory results. I pair them with a Sebetron 2000 pre and go Aussie all the way for a great sound.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz ➑️
IVE used the stereo nt 4 into an edirol 4 channel unit...the one with xlr's and had stellar results
The NT4 looks nice too... But want the flexiblity of two separate mics I reckon. Nice to hear the quality was good though... As them and the NT5s just have to be similar. Nice
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
M-audio Pulsar II's.......

Buy the M-audio Pulsar II matched pair....and save yourself about 150 bucks !!!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejs ➑️
Buy the M-audio Pulsar II matched pair....and save yourself about 150 bucks !!!!
It's all about quality though... I don't mind spending the cash, if it means I have better quality gear. My budget isn't huge (like Β£250 is the max right now) but surely the M-Audio Pulsar II aren't in the same league as Rode's are they?

...i mean... Rodes make microphones, always have...

There has to be a sound difference between the models, surely??? I want the best my Β£250 will buy...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
the NT5's sound very nice. Especially if you are pairing one with a LDC for acoustic guitar
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have a matched pair I bought back in 05 (serials ending in 34 and 35).
I've used these for live sound, drum overheads, and acoustic. From the first time I used them I felt they were a great purchase.
I now use the CAD M179s on OH, but my NT5's remain my go to acoustic mics, on my Takamine.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Cheers for all the replies, Gearslutz is always useful.

I reckon I'll definitely go with these... It's hard sometimes to choose, especially when I don't really know anyone with equipment and they just don't stock that kind of thing in Oxford... I got a sound recording job coming up in the next week or so, so needed some experiences from people who've used them.

The M-Audio ones, I checked them out, and for a matched pair, they come to same price as the Rodes (give or take). Thing with the Rode, I only ever really good things - especially at these prices range anyhow.

Gonna take the plunge I reckon... There is a lady I want to record her upright piano with and I want to do some sound design with stereo micing a sitar in Kontakt, so it all seems good... I'll definitely make use of them.

I'm gonna snap up two mic stands (I left my only one I had in a sound job, miles away!), which I'll need for doing pianos (as far as I know, following diagrams I've seen)... But I wonder, when just doing a guitar, the two mics will be pretty damn close together... Surely is there any sort of dual mic clip thing that I can put on just one mic stand - to save hassle?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Funny to hear people be saying that these things can be bright. When I bought mine about 5 years ago, people kept saying that they weren't very bright because the response starts dropping around 10k. What ever.

I have gotten many good uses out of my NT5s. The best is that every year I put them out back on my porch on the 4th oh July. Our neighborhood gets VERY out of control with illegal fireworks, they are very big and very loud. So I try to do a little recording of an hour or two and see what I can capture. My dogs go nuts when I play those recordings back.

Also, yes you can buy a t-bar mount that will allow you to mount both mics on one stand.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have a pair of Rode NT5's. They are great for the money, and if you can get the omni heads, they'll sound even better for acoustic pickup. The cardioid heads tend to be a little fatiguing to the ear in many cases, which can be solved with a minor cut to the 2500-3000Hz range. Mostly I've been very satisfied.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Love mine on acousticy things!!! Great for percussion, and never been unhappy with the results on an acoustic guitar.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl J ➑️
Funny to hear people be saying that these things can be bright. When I bought mine about 5 years ago, people kept saying that they weren't very bright because the response starts dropping around 10k. What ever.

I have gotten many good uses out of my NT5s. The best is that every year I put them out back on my porch on the 4th oh July. Our neighborhood gets VERY out of control with illegal fireworks, they are very big and very loud. So I try to do a little recording of an hour or two and see what I can capture. My dogs go nuts when I play those recordings back.

Also, yes you can buy a t-bar mount that will allow you to mount both mics on one stand.
Thanks for replies everyone.

But these t-bar mounts... Where would I buy them? I've looked around on the net, but the only thing close I've found is the QuikLok second mic arm thing... A-107 - Quiklok - Professional Music Equipment and Accessories

Could anyone point me in the right direction for these t-bar things, so I can get a X/Y combo with the Rodes using a single mic stand?

Cheers! (again!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got my T bar stereo thing at Guitar Center. Being a $7 item, I had to ask for it. And it was buried in the bottom of a box. But it was for all intents and purposes off the shelf. Even if it was a box, under the shelf. I'd rather have the bigger and nicer blumlien version, but this will do for now. It sure beats carrying around two mic stands.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 ➑️
I got my T bar stereo thing at Guitar Center. Being a $7 item, I had to ask for it. And it was buried in the bottom of a box. But it was for all intents and purposes off the shelf. Even if it was a box, under the shelf. I'd rather have the bigger and nicer blumlien version, but this will do for now. It sure beats carrying around two mic stands.
That's cool... but I still just can't seem to find them on the net anywhere? Am I just being blind?? My home town here, certainly doesn't have anything like this...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
google "mic stand stereo bar"

or "stereo mic bar"

or "stereo bar"

Or just check under microphone accessories at your favorite retailer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am also looking at these.....I did a head to head with the NT1-a and a SE 2200a. I preferred the SE.

Hopefully will get to do the same with the NT-5 and SE1a's.

What would be a step up from these? I am especially interested in O/H use.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 ➑️
google "mic stand stereo bar"

or "stereo mic bar"

or "stereo bar"

Or just check under microphone accessories at your favorite retailer.
Nice one... I was looking for 't-bar' (like the earlier guy said) and I couldn't find anything. I know, I know, I'm a little dense here...

Thanks mate
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Or clamps and brackets (at a photo place)

Some are sold with microphone stereo pairs. What I have is the On Stage (OS37). What I want is something like the sE Dual Microphone Stereo Mount. Most fall under the name stereo bar, but maybe that's more of a street name. It could be microphone bar, stereo mount, or a number of other names.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
i have had nt5's for three years now. they get boomy close up. very sensitive to prox effect. my suggestion would be to have a mic pre handy with hi pass filtering on it to get it under control. other than that they sound great especially through tube pres.

check out cascade microphones too. very good company and great quality.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the only weaknesses are aforementioned boominess too close to source and high spl at which point I think they start sounding like cheap mics. But for acoustic instruments and things like congos, triangles etc...awesome!

I also use them as somebody else has mentioned for stereo mic'ing distant sounds. Very very accurate reproduction.
Old 8th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Will I gain much improvement over my matched set of Behringer C2's for acoustic guitar recording if I buy the Rode NT5 matched set?

I wonder...wonder I do.
Old 8th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The NT5's work fine for what you want. Nice budget mics.

However, I will admit that I never understood why anyone need a matched pair of any mic..

Since they are positioned differently and picking up different source material, what good is having a matched pair? Two good mics of the same brand should sound the same, and two different brands might even sound better.

You might also check out AT 4041's. I got a great deal on a pair at Guitar Center for $365.

My main go to mics for acoustic guitar are ATM 10a's. Great omni mics.
πŸ“ Reply