Mackie 24-8 or something else? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie 24-8 or something else?
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Mackie 24-8 or something else?

Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking to start a home studio with some friends and we're trying to buy a good quality mixer to go into pro tools with. We really need a good amount of decent preamps, so I was thinking the mackie is the best bet, but I'm open to other ideas.

My thought right now is to have the Mackie 24-8 running into a Digi 002 and then two Behringer ADA8000 (yea I know they are ****ty convertors, but you gotta start somewhere).

We're gonna try and get a few nice pres too, but we don't really have a lot to spend right now so we were gonna try upgrade the convertors and pres when we get the cash.

If anyone's gotta any advice or has used a similar setup, please let me know
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
hi babyjesus :P
I have a Mackie 32:8 in my setup (ironically i got this for cheaper then the 24:8 :S) and i have it running into a MOTU 24 i/o, if you can stretch i would recommend you buy the motu , it will give you enough ins and outs but will also give you some spares for stuff like you outboard **** :P

It will also help if you give us a budget and what software you are wanting to use?

Hope i helped

Alex
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjesus ➑️
Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking to start a home studio with some friends and we're trying to buy a good quality mixer to go into pro tools with. We really need a good amount of decent preamps, so I was thinking the mackie is the best bet, but I'm open to other ideas.

My thought right now is to have the Mackie 24-8 running into a Digi 002 and then two Behringer ADA8000 (yea I know they are ****ty convertors, but you gotta start somewhere).

We're gonna try and get a few nice pres too, but we don't really have a lot to spend right now so we were gonna try upgrade the convertors and pres when we get the cash.

If ya go to my myspace page and check out Pump Ya Brakes, that was done with the exact setup you described above. It got the artist a deal.

Dont listen to what others say, you can make good sounding recordings with that rig.

I have ProTools HD with a Trident Series 8T and yes it is a step up and sounds great but if you can do it with that system (Digi+Mackie combo) then when you move up, you will be ready for the big time.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
"I have ProTools HD with a Trident Series 8T and yes it is a step up and sounds great but if you can do it with that system (Digi+Mackie combo) then when you move up, you will be ready for the big time."

Thats exactly what I was thinking, I'll definitely check out pump ya brakes.

I'm trying to spend under $1000 for the console and I'll be running Pro Tools and occasionally Logic.
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey guys and gals,

why two ADA8000s? 002 only has one ADAT input.
Old 28th January 2009
Deleted User
Quote:

Mackie 24-8 would work fine going into the DIGI 002. the DIGI only has 1 ADAT port BTW as was mentioned so youll get 8 analog on the DIGI and 8 coming in the ADAT from the Behringer for a total of 16 ins and outs. You get two more via the SPDIF as well if you want to use them.

This setup will also allow you latency free monitoring with Protools via the Mackie since everything is running into it.

You can then setup up you AUX sends to say 4 external reverb units and use the last 8 channels on the Mackie as EFFECTs returns which will allow you to EQ them if needed. Assign everything to a stereo sub out on the Mackie and record your two track back into Protools in realtime, voila

Not to mention all the headphone mixes you can setup on the Mackie for your talent

the MOTU 24i/o is no good since it wont work with Protools. Sound quality isnt as good IMO as well
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Is there a way to piggy back the two ada8000s or something else that I can use to be able to get 16 more channels into the digi 002?

Yea mackies are great and ive recorded on them before and they can get good sounds for the price.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The 002 has 8 analogue ins and 1 adat port for 8 more ins via a converter (ADA8000).
That's it. That's all you get.

You can get an M-Audio Profire lightbridge on top of the 002 which will give you another 4 adat ports with a firewire connection, then you can add up to 4 more ADA8000s/converters of choice.

Bit silly having a large desk when you can only get 16 channels in and out of the computer so you'll wnat the extra I/O.

You all ready have protools?
I would go with something a little less proprietary foir electronic/midi based music.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➑️
The 002 has 8 analogue ins and 1 adat port for 8 more ins via a converter (ADA8000).
That's it. That's all you get.

You can get an M-Audio Profire lightbridge on top of the 002 which will give you another 4 adat ports with a firewire connection, then you can add up to 4 more ADA8000s/converters of choice.

Bit silly having a large desk when you can only get 16 channels in and out of the computer so you'll wnat the extra I/O.

You all ready have protools?
I would go with something a little less proprietary foir electronic/midi based music.
I like pro tools and have used it for a while now and, aside from the hardware issue, i like it better than every other daw and ive spent time using them all. Even when I'm making electronic music, which I do make a lot of.

I would try the lightbridge idea but pro tools le wont accept the lightbridge, id have to switch over to m powered which i really dont want to do.

Yea it would be a bit silly to just have 16 channels of i/o in a desk that large, thats why i want to be able to hook up two ada8000s.

Anybody have any suggestions on a 16 channel adat interface thats cheap?
Deleted User
Quote:
I like pro tools and have used it for a while now and, aside from the hardware issue, i like it better than every other daw and ive spent time using them all. Even when I'm making electronic music, which I do make a lot of.

I would try the lightbridge idea but pro tools le wont accept the lightbridge, id have to switch over to m powered which i really dont want to do.

Yea it would be a bit silly to just have 16 channels of i/o in a desk that large, thats why i want to be able to hook up two ada8000s.

Anybody have any suggestions on a 16 channel adat interface thats cheap?
Repeat button activated, the LE line is LIMITED to ONE ADAT port. even if you switched to M-Powered, they still limit you to 18 Ins and outs even if you bought 4 of the ADA8000's, still 18 thank you DIGI

your only choice is 18 total in and out with the LE or M-powered or SWITCH DAWS

MOTU 828MKii has TWO ADAT ports but you CANT use Protools
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks I guess I misunderstood you the first time. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board because I definitely dont have the cash for a HD rig.
Deleted User
Quote:
Thanks I guess I misunderstood you the first time. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board because I definitely dont have the cash for a HD rig.
Dont feel bad, Im in the SAME boat. I have a MOTU 828 going into my DIGI for 16 total.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just forget Pro Tools all together if youre looking to make the best of that setup. Stick with Logic or something else. Hell, I started using Reaper with my ProFire 2626 and 2 ADA8000s for ****s and giggles and I actually really like it.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
ADA8000s are actually really good for the money if you know what's going on inside..

Go for Reaper too, you won't be disappointed.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHatGuy ➑️
Just forget Pro Tools all together if youre looking to make the best of that setup. Stick with Logic or something else. Hell, I started using Reaper with my ProFire 2626 and 2 ADA8000s for ****s and giggles and I actually really like it.
I agree. If you don't have a life-saving or other equally compelling reason to stay with PT, then dump it and you will find that your audio oriented world will open to unlimited possibilities.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just out of curiosity, what is your primary purpose in getting a mixer?

If you're really just looking to record many inputs at once you may be better served with an Onyx mixer that has nicer pres, eq, and can be fitted with a firewire interface into the DAW of your choice (other than PT).

If you're looking to mix OTB, I'm not sure that routing your DAW outputs through another conversion stage into a Mackie 24-8 is going to help your mixes. Sonically, I think you'd be better served mixing ITB at that point.

I'm not bagging on the 24-8, lots of good work has been done on them, but the Mackie 8-buss series of mixers are really a product of the ADAT era. It seems to me that there are other options that could provide a more elegant and better quality solution for your needs. That said, if you just have to have an inexpensive in-line 8-bus mixer the 24-8 will certainly fit the bill.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You can get a HD1 system with a 192 for about $4000 now. Just a thought.
Old 13th January 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
mackie 28.8

my name is bobby bean i live in dekalb il.60115 an i starting a studio/video production here in my house an i just want to ask a question i have an imac with protools 9 an a profire 610 i found a good deal on a mackie 24.8 mixer with meter bar an power supply for 300.00 coming out of this studio in chicago an i was just wondering if u think im going in the rong direction i had it checked out its just like new u may call me @ 815-501-3064 call or txt i would like to get some feed back also http://www.facebook.com/harborboy420 is facebook if u would like to see my studio pics thank you

Last edited by harborboy420; 13th January 2011 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: left out details
πŸ“ Reply