$5000 - 6 mics. Opinions please. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
$5000 - 6 mics. Opinions please.
Old 27th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
$5000 - 6 mics. Opinions please.

Hello slutz,

I have roughly $5000 to spend on mics and am baffled about which way to go. I'm using a Black Lion Audio modded digi003 rack+ and those are my only 8 pres for now. I have a couple 57s, an RE20, and a Beta 57 so I'm cool with kicks and snares and utilities. I need to focus on vocals, acoustic instruments, stereo room, and guitar amps. I love ribbons and I have expensive tastes, just not a big budget. Your thoughts are appreciated.

And by the way, I love the Black Lion mod. Can't say enough good things about it.
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd suggest:

1 X Coles 4038 ($1200)
1 X Shure KSM44 ($500 USED)
2 X Avenson STO's ($500 NEW)
1 X U87 (Ai or pref. older - $1800 USED)
2 X AKG 451E or EB's ($400-500 USED)
1 X AKG 441 ($350 USED)
spend the rest on some good cables, mic mounts and/or stands...
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead ➑️
I'd suggest:

1 X Coles 4038 ($1200)
1 X Shure KSM44 ($500 USED)
2 X Avenson STO's ($500 NEW)
1 X U87 (Ai or pref. older - $1800 USED)
2 X AKG 451E or EB's ($400-500 USED)
1 X AKG 441 ($350 USED)
spend the rest on some good cables, mic mounts and/or stands...
+1 here. Avensons are one of my most used tools. Sennheiser 441 is great. Can't go wrong with Shure's KSM line.

If you can't afford the Coles, I'd check out the FatHeads from Cascade.
451s are too bright for my pers. taste...instead I have a pr of SM81s.

For vox, I've found good use with MXL V69m, Oktava MK 319, Studio Projects mics, Soundelux U195, Blue Dragonfly, AKG C414, and even the SE Z3300....depending on the voice and track.
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodandEvil ➑️
I'm using a Black Lion Audio modded digi003 rack+ and those are my only 8 pres for now.
how much was that?? im considering it and i can only assume you will recommend it.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Heil - PR30 and PR40
Josephson - C42 and e22s
Kel - HM7u
Earthworks - SR25
Se - Titan
Crowley and Tripp - Naked eye
Bock - 151
ADK - Custom shop (Vienna based)

Most of these aren't really "low end" - You could get a good stable of mics for $3000 (and that would be more like 10 mics).

The biggest question is: How does your room sound? Do you need to tweak it?

-tINY

Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidtension47 ➑️
how much was that?? im considering it and i can only assume you will recommend it.
This is probably best for another post, but yes, get it! Definitely get the full mod with their clock. I owned PT HD for years and to my ears, this beats it. They are the coolest guys ever and the price is inarguable. I'm sure I will eventually get some more pres and comps but theirs are very very nice and I have no problem putting off buying pres for now. If there was an insert between the pre and converter, it would be even better. But at those prices for that sound quality, whatever...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️

Heil - PR30 and PR40
Josephson - C42 and e22s
Kel - HM7u
Earthworks - SR25
Se - Titan
Crowley and Tripp - Naked eye
Bock - 151
ADK - Custom shop (Vienna based)

Most of these aren't really "low end" - You could get a good stable of mics for $3000 (and that would be more like 10 mics).

The biggest question is: How does your room sound? Do you need to tweak it?

-tINY

Cool suggestions. Those are all mics I have no experience with except Earthworks. Got some research to do. I have one quiet dead booth athat I can fit a drum kit in, and a medium sized living room that sounds real nice. Control is tweaked up pretty good but still sorting out bass trapping.

I want to be able to do some Blumlein, and MS stuff too so I hope to get a pair of ribbons and a par of cardioids.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodandEvil ➑️
Hello slutz,
I'm using a Black Lion Audio modded digi003 rack+ and those are my only 8 pres for now.
AFAIK it's 4 pre's, and 4 line inputs (unless that changed from the 002R?!?)

Thought I'd mention, as you might want to get a couple more pre's, esp. if you're tracking drums (I most often use 5 to 6 mics for kit)...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead ➑️
AFAIK it's 4 pre's, and 4 line inputs (unless that changed from the 002R?!?)

Thought I'd mention, as you might want to get a couple more pre's, esp. if you're tracking drums (I most often use 5 to 6 mics for kit)...
003 Rack+ has 8 pres and 8 line ins. I sent it to BLA before I even opened the box.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Arrow

Audix CX-112
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Zomg such bold!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
wow blatant advertising if I ever saw it.

Does someone work for audix?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
just had some fun with your budget on Mercenary' site on what I would do with your budget! I went $50 over but would be quite happy and aimed for what I think will stand the test of time!
1 Gefell UMT70s - M7 capsule multi-pattern This would be my go mic!
1 AEA R84 Great vintage sounding ribbon will work when the Gefell won't.
2 Josephson C42 (matched pair) You need to have a nice pair of small dia condensers and for under a grand I think these are a sure thing prefer them to my 184 sand my 451s might consider trying Mercenary's 69s instead and have what is said to be that real 84 sound, but then I need to sub something less $$ for the last mic.
1 Telefunken USA rft M16 Something different for just one more flavor

if it were me the more I think about it I would try the 69s and find a nice used c414 instead of the M16, but with either of these combinations I would want some nice high-end pre choices (the Blacklion guys have said that their modded digi pres are more in the good soundcraft league than the Neve API League so get ready to spend more money!!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Charter Oak SA538. ($1300) - Big fan of this on vocals, both male and female. I've used it in pop, soul, and hip-hop. A lush-sounding, reliable tube mic.

(x2) AKG C 414 B/XLII. ($2100) - Had really nice results on closely mic'd horns and strings. Fit very nicely into the mixes. Also worked wonderfully for male voice-over.

(x2) Cascade FatHeads. ($325) - Great for old school drum OH sound, nice on acoustic and electric guitars. Amazing ribbon mics.

Sennheiser 441. ($740) - Killer for close mic'd woodwinds, vocals, snare, guitar. Great clarity.

and one just for fun...

Placid Audio Copperphone. ($250) - Just to keep you thinking outside the box.

Have a good time!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd say get some budget but good vocal mics. It's good to have many to choose from so it's not dependent on the vocalist. At4047, Studio Projects, Cad, SM7, PR40, Kel, etc.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek ➑️
just had some fun with your budget on Mercenary' site on what I would do with your budget! I went $50 over but would be quite happy and aimed for what I think will stand the test of time!
1 Gefell UMT70s - M7 capsule multi-pattern This would be my go mic!
1 AEA R84 Great vintage sounding ribbon will work when the Gefell won't.
2 Josephson C42 (matched pair) You need to have a nice pair of small dia condensers and for under a grand I think these are a sure thing prefer them to my 184 sand my 451s might consider trying Mercenary's 69s instead and have what is said to be that real 84 sound, but then I need to sub something less $$ for the last mic.
1 Telefunken USA rft M16 Something different for just one more flavor

if it were me the more I think about it I would try the 69s and find a nice used c414 instead of the M16, but with either of these combinations I would want some nice high-end pre choices (the Blacklion guys have said that their modded digi pres are more in the good soundcraft league than the Neve API League so get ready to spend more money!!!
Yes, I will have to get pres but I'm putting that off for now. I will say that I owned an API A2D which I used to get around my miserable digi pres and it was good. But I don't think it was better than the BLA pres.

By the way, everybody, thanks for all the good ideas, it's really helpful. I'm strongly considering some of Michael Joly's modded Octavas too. Any experience with those?
πŸ“ Reply