Quantcast
Audio Technica AT2020s or Audix F15s - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Technica AT2020s or Audix F15s
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Audio Technica AT2020s or Audix F15s

I could use some advice on a pair of cheap overhead mics. I'm looking to spend $150 or less for the pair (I know this isn't much, but it's all I can afford right now). I'm thinking about either the Audio Technica AT2020s or the Audix F15s. I've used the F15s before and found them to be decent, but I'm wondering if the AT2020s (which I've never used) would sound a little bit better. I'm thinking that the AT2020s would be more versatile, as I could record other instruments with them. I'm also curious about whether the AKG perception 100s or 120s would sound good as overheads. What do you guys think? Are there any other mics in this price range that I should consider?
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_thunder ➑️
.. I'm thinking that the AT2020s would be more versatile, as I could record other instruments with them. ..
Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
http://www.audixusa.com/docs/specs_pdf/F15.pdf
I've not used either but agree with the idea flatter mics with modest rises (or dips) make for more versitile basic start points.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Wink

i have an
AT4047
and it works good for meheh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i picked up a couple AT2020's to replace some MXL 603/991's i'd picked up to get started with overheads for drum recording (the MXL's were disappointing even @ the ridiculously low price). the AT's are much clearer & and pick up pretty decent tone for the price. if youve got some other ok mics to cover the rest of the spectrum (kick, snare) they shouldn't seem deficient.

not familiar with the audix f15.

i also snagged a couple CAD E100's, they are a bit 'darker' & 'warmer'. the CAD M179 gets alot of on the low end side of the forums, but that would be pushing yer budget a bit.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
The F15 is possibly the weakest offering from Audix to date. It works, but something like MXL 604 would even be a better reach.

And yes, the CAD M179 stomps it into the ground.

War
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I would rather use fostex mc10st for drum overheads,
They are cheap like $100 for the pair with a nice plastic case and stereo mount.
They are more brittle than an at2020 Which is very brittle but they are also more accurate. If you wanna spend $300 you will get something way better. But in your price range these might work. And maybe be fine on acoustic guitar. Nothing plugged in though imo.
Honestly, I would get 1 CAD M179. You can add another later and its crazy versatile. I think you could make better recordings with this than a crappy stereo pair.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Go with the AudioTechnica's....

Audix makes some really good stuff... but I've been disappointed with everything in the "Fusion" series...bought a few a while back, and the F15's were muddy, and the F10 tom mics were barely acceptable even for PA use.. I'd certainly never use 'em for recording... I was so un-impressed I gave them away...
The Audix D6 or i5's are solid investments, but the F15's will let you down...

Even the low-end AT stuff like the 20series stuff is well made and sounds acceptable...
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I ended up buying an Audio Technica AT3035 ($50) & an AKG C2000B ($80). Both are used, but in excellent condition. I haven't had a chance to try the 3035 as an overhead yet, as I just got it yesterday, but the C2000B sounds really good. I think I may get another if the 3035 doesn't work out as an overhead. I did try the 3035 on vocals, guitar, & bass. I like the way it sounds, and it seems pretty versatile.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love those at 2020 for over heads and percussion!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Have you looked into a pair of Naiant X-M's for overhead? They are a steal and sound very good on pretty much anything requiring a SDC.

I have an Audix f15 that I use on high hat (when I occasionaly mic them), and it hasn't sounded that great in a mix yet. Normally it gets pulled so far down in the mix it's negligibly audible. To concur with the Cad folks, I love using my M177 as a Room mic... Wish I had another one (or two)
Old 14th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
My f15s are the only mic in my collection that I have never used... anyone found any good applications for this mic?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use 3035's for OH pair constantly. I prefer a 4 mic setup on the kit in general, and come in from over the drummer's shoulders, get nice balance on the toms and cymbals that way. The 3035 is an astoundingly versatile mic (tip; try it on a good upright bass sometime .
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne104 ➑️
My f15s are the only mic in my collection that I have never used... anyone found any good applications for this mic?

DUDE! ME TOO! I hate that mic. No matter what I put it on, it's harsh, brittle, and thin. I hate it. It's built nicely...very tough and stout. But man...I can't even say it sounds like crap, because it sounds too thin to sound like crap. More appropriate (or inappropriate depending on who you're with) to say it sounds like diarrhea because it's super thin.
Old 24th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_thunder ➑️
I ended up buying an Audio Technica AT3035 ($50) & an AKG C2000B ($80). Both are used, but in excellent condition. I haven't had a chance to try the 3035 as an overhead yet, as I just got it yesterday, but the C2000B sounds really good. I think I may get another if the 3035 doesn't work out as an overhead. I did try the 3035 on vocals, guitar, & bass. I like the way it sounds, and it seems pretty versatile.
the AKG C2000B was the first "expensive" mic I bought. I still use that thing and get amazing results on vocals. a real mind blower if I do say so myself. my friend has been using that mic recently paired with my Daking Mic Pre One on interviews for a documentary he is working on. it sounds phenomenal.
πŸ“ Reply