Quantcast
rode ntk/kel hm7-u/oktava 219 mod?!?! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
rode ntk/kel hm7-u/oktava 219 mod?!?!
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
rode ntk/kel hm7-u/oktava 219 mod?!?!

I currently own a rode nt-1a and sm7b ...thinking about buying a new vocal mic, i'm tired of the nt-1. I have a line on the ntk for $130. Do I buy that? or put that money towards the kel hm7u that i hear sooo much about, or take my stock 219 and send it the joly for the mod? how about a ribbon mic? HELP, i'm confused!!
thanks

Last edited by drewbonez; 27th January 2009 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: new info:
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Guru
Kel HM-7U All the way. I just got mine yesterday, tried it for a female vocal session today and it was wonderful! Such a warm mic, no random Esses everywhere, thanks to a K47 style capsule. I suggest you get it man, it's the best in the price range( And I don't even work for Kel haha, I just love the mic so much).

-Chris-
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
guess it depends on what you're trying to achieve. if you're looking at all these mics so you have different options when recording other folks, i guess you would need the versatility. in that case the sm7b is ideal for many applications including vocals so thats good. the nt1a isnt a really bad mic and has many uses, i think it would probably be a good idea to have the Oktava modded anyway since it would turn that 219 into a high performer. if your seeing an NTK for $130.00 thats a pretty screamin deal, may not want to pass that up. I've laid plenty of great male vocals on that mic and it really gives some nice character to your male vocal recordings. (female voices can get a bit shimmeryon that mic) however, you'd have the 219 and even the nt1a for a female voice) can you afford that ntk and the 219 mod?

as far as the ribbon mic goes, make sure you really get informed on these mics and there applications before buying. it can be a little confusing reagrding which ribbon works better for different things. guitar cabs and overheads can be one type, where acoustic guitars and vocals could be another. maybe get the mod and the ntk tube mic and see how all thes mics work togather before going off on a ribbon? in the meantime you can really do some research around here on which ribbon mic you would need for your specific needs. michael joly has really left a wealth of info throughout GS regarding the low costing ribbons)

nt1a
sm7b
ntk tube mic
oktava moded 219

seems like a nice collection for some versatility
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
Kel HM-7U All the way. I just got mine yesterday, tried it for a female vocal session today and it was wonderful! Such a warm mic, no random Esses everywhere, thanks to a K47 style capsule. I suggest you get it man, it's the best in the price range( And I don't even work for Kel haha, I just love the mic so much).

-Chris-
+1
Gear Guru
and ps: the Kel Audio sounds a lot better than the NTK, without the hassle of tubes.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
and ps: the Kel Audio sounds a lot better than the NTK, without the hassle of tubes.
whats the hassle with tubes?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

They age and change sound, they take a while to warm up, you can get microphonics ....

-tINY

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have the KEL HM7U, and am very pleased with it. So this is more a question of curiousity.... I understand that the FET and the capacitors are pretty good quality. Would a capsule upgrade (maybe some Peluso upgrade or something) dramatically improve the sound ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
+1...and the SM7 is also great option as long as your mic pre(s) have the juice to drive it (65+dB)...I have a Rode K2 with upgraded NOS Siemens tube (much smoother than the NTK) and my SM7 and KEL HM-7u get more action on vocals lately...at about $300 each, you can't lose...

Better Deal on an HM-7u here:
Kel HM-7U barely used great mic for VO voice-over - eBay (item 280305592640 end time Feb-01-09 21:07:15 PST)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjari ➑️
I have the KEL HM7U, and am very pleased with it. So this is more a question of curiousity.... I understand that the FET and the capacitors are pretty good quality. Would a capsule upgrade (maybe some Peluso upgrade or something) dramatically improve the sound ?
...my guess is that a capsule swap wouldn't make a great difference since the capsule QC on KEL mics is quite good...why mess with a good thing?...buy the HM-2d instead (another great KEL mic!)...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anybody using the HM-7U to record acoustic guitar? Martin Dreadnaught?

It seems like this mic would sound too thick or dark...
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
turns out the ntk for $130 needs a new 7 pin cable, which run about $50, so i'm probably just going to spring for the kel hm7 and then mod my 219 when i get a few more bucks...on a side note, i'm going to sell my nt1 and at2020 if anyone is interested...i'll let you all know how i like the hm7
THANKS!!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I currently own 2 KEL HM-1's a HM-4, HM-2d and should be getting a HM-7u in the mail any day.......I am really curious to hear what it sounds like !!

David B

PS...Needless to say I really like there mics !!!!
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler59 ➑️
I currently own 2 KEL HM-1's a HM-4, HM-2d and should be getting a HM-7u in the mail any day.......I am really curious to hear what it sounds like !!

David B

PS...Needless to say I really like there mics !!!!
Me too.. another huge Kel fan here

I have 2x HM-1s, an HM-2D, and a HM-7U.. and I love 'em all!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
WHich one of the KEL mics would be best for recording a Martin Dread?

Would a SDC be a better option?
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozsak ➑️

I think Kel HM-1 would be your best bet, but HM-7U would sound great too. Overall I am pleased with the mic. I'll be posting a review next week and I'll put male/female vocal examples (I have to wait because I am getting out of a cold). Overall the review is informative and as accurate as I could be. The Mic Kelly sent me rocks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Anybody using the HM-7U to record acoustic guitar? Martin Dreadnaught?

It seems like this mic would sound too thick or dark...
I just bought an HM7U online the other day and am waiting for it's arrival...
Bought specifically too use on vocals along with my sm7b and also to use on a boomy Martin acoustic guitar that I have.... I also have a pair of Oktavamod Mc012's.
I'm hoping the HM7 will land somewhere in the middle ground of those mics I guess.

I'll do my best to post some clips of the HM7 compared to the other mics as comparisons are few and far between on this one. I'ver heard a LOT of people say that they love the mic but have yet to hear the sound of the mic outside of the clips on the KEL website... which sound ok... but.... I never trust clips from the manufacturer's website..

It's too hard to tell how they were recorded, through what gear etc.

I've never posted clips before so... we'll see if I can figure it out??
Can't be that hard right??

If any of you other HM7 owners want to post some actual sound-bytes of your beloved mic??? be my guest!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cant wait to see the review!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

The Oktavamod MC012 condenser is pretty great...
and really even the MXL603s does a decent job of recording my boomy Martin acoustic..
Just FYI... both can be had for pretty cheap I think.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Right now my HM7u is on 'front of kit' duty as a room mic... very VERY smooth sounding.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The SM7 is sweet and as said before needs a pre that has a alot of gain. But to me that mic blows the doors off of all the cheap chinese mics. May not sound big solo'd and def. is'nt a Hot mic but that mic justs sounds great and easy to place in a mix.

I also have the stock MK219 that someone gave me and curious to know how it sounds modded my Michael. I have his 319 full mod and it is a cool mic.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere ➑️

I'ver heard a LOT of people say that they love the mic but have yet to hear the sound of the mic outside of the clips on the KEL website... which sound ok... but.... I never trust clips from the manufacturer's website..

Agreed!!! Bring on the sound clips and reviews! thumbsup

Like, is the Kel "Great for the money", or "Great". Just say no to cheap, weak sounding mics! lol

I DO like the clips on the Kel site, though.
Gear Guru
Quote:
I just bought an HM7U online the other day and am waiting for it's arrival...
Bought specifically too use on vocals along with my sm7b and also to use on a boomy Martin acoustic guitar that I have.... I also have a pair of Oktavamod Mc012's.
I'm hoping the HM7 will land somewhere in the middle ground of those mics I guess.

I'll do my best to post some clips of the HM7 compared to the other mics as comparisons are few and far between on this one. I'ver heard a LOT of people say that they love the mic but have yet to hear the sound of the mic outside of the clips on the KEL website... which sound ok... but.... I never trust clips from the manufacturer's website..

I've never posted clips before so... we'll see if I can figure it out??
Can't be that hard right??

If any of you other HM7 owners want to post some actual sound-bytes of your beloved mic??? be my guest!!!
I'll be providing them some great samples for everyone, so you guys are going to have to wait for another week so I can get out of my cold haha. I already recorded female vocals and female/male voiceovers. The mic is very promising.

-Chris-
Gear Guru
Don't they say that it was recorded through an AMEK 9098? Kel---AMEK 9098--- No Idea AD/DA but probably good.

My recording will be a Kel HM7U--- Art Digital MPA (tungsol Tubes)---Edirol UA25 Interface. It sounds great, I actually love the AD/DA on the Edirol, I've cut some publishing deals with it and I've had songs published on MTV/The Oxygen Network, which just shows that you don't need expensive gear to get your songs across, you only need good songs/good producing/good connections!
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Don't they say that it was recorded through an AMEK 9098? Kel---AMEK 9098--- No Idea AD/DA but probably good.

My recording will be a Kel HM7U--- Art Digital MPA (tungsol Tubes)---Edirol UA25 Interface. It sounds great, I actually love the AD/DA on the Edirol, I've cut some publishing deals with it and I've had songs published on MTV/The Oxygen Network, which just shows that you don't need expensive gear to get your songs across, you only need good songs/good producing/good connections!
Yep... that's what they say..
is it trustworthy?? who knows....
Their sound examples do sound good. Which in honesty is more than I can say for MANY. hahahha....

Sometimes I listen to soundclips and think... 'now why the hell would they've purposely posted THAT as an example?"

In any case, I'll be curious to compare it to the sm7 that I have....
and also to hear it on a boomy martin acoustic.

I too will post clips if I can figure it out...
My mic shipped on the 24th apparently... not sure how long it'll take to get here via Canada post.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yep... that's what they say..
is it trustworthy?? who knows....
Their sound examples do sound good. Which in honesty is more than I can say for MANY. hahahha....

...KEL uses the Amek/Neve 9098 DMA (very clean & uncoloured) for all their demo purposes...I also use this mic pre (among others) when I want a particular mic's character to come thru...very neutral preamp...

...you can see the 9098 DMA in Kel's rack (left lower corner of the screen) in this video of their booth at the IBMA show:

YouTube - IBMA 2008 Kel Audio

...I have both the HM-7u and the HM-2d and I can say that the sound samples on their website are very accurate...both mics are terrific...HM-7u is very similar to the AT 4047 (at a much lower pricetag) and the HM-2d definately reminds me of my SM7 (but with much higher output)...if you can't afford an SM7, or you don't have a mic pre that puts out at least 65dB of clean gain, then the HM-2d is an excellent alternative to the SM7...great on vocals...smooth, BIG and thick sounding...both KEL mics are very resistant to any sibilance issues as well...
Gear Guru
Am I dreaming or does the HM-1 sounds a bit like the U-87 in the voice-over samples? less definition but still a hint of U87.

The reason I'm asking is because I want a U87 style microphone and I'm debating whereas I should get a Gauge ECM-87 or Kel HM-1. I want to start a post about it actually.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Am I dreaming or does the HM-1 sounds a bit like the U-87 in the voice-over samples? less definition but still a hint of U87.

The reason I'm asking is because I want a U87 style microphone and I'm debating whereas I should get a Gauge ECM-87 or Kel HM-1. I want to start a post about it actually.
...the HM-1 is really an instrument mic...not great for vocals...as for the Gauge, it sounds similar to the U87 but with just a bit of the typical Chinese high-end "bite" (but not as severe as with some other Chinese LDCs)...close, but no cigar...reminds me of when they first released the Studio Projects C1...lots of U87 "hype":
Articles - Studio Projects C1 Condenser Microphone
...makes me wonder if 797audio are making the ECM-87 too (they make the C1)...797audio has been making U87 knockoffs for a long time (remember the original Rode NT2, which became the Behringer B-2 ?...both look exactly the same as the Gauge version as well)...hmmmm
πŸ“ Reply