Quantcast
Presonus Firestudio line input low gain issue - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus Firestudio line input low gain issue
Old 27th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Presonus Firestudio line input low gain issue

I have a PreSonus Firestudio 2626 and a DigiMax FS, both have an issue with low gain when fed a line level input. I have plugged in my MiniMoog Voyager and my stage piano into input 7-8 (stereo) and with the gain all the way up on the Firestudio or the DigiMax and volume all the way up on the Moog/Piano, the highest level I'm getting is around -5dB in Logic Pro.

If I DI a guitar into input 1, I can peak no problem, same with an SM58. Neither need the gain pot all the way up before clipping. So what the deal with the line inputs?

I recently sold my Digi 002 to get the Firestudio, and there was not this problem when going into Logic, I could get a clip easily. This lack of headroom is bothering me!

Cheers,
GL.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A +4 peak into your interface should show -12 to -15 on your DAW. This is perfectly fine and really the recommended level. If you try to achieve a level close to zero, you're seriously stressing something somewhere. With 24 bit recording you have a tremendous dynamic range available and -10 peaks are no problem. Try it for a while and you will find that your recordings have a lot more "Clarity" to them. Remember this is digital, not analog, no need to get to zero. There is a great thread about this in a sticky over at Terry Manning's forum on PSW.

PSW Recording Forums: Whatever Works => Digital tracking with low levels = better...is this new???
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The 1/4 inputs on chan 1 and 2 are Hi Z for guitars etc. Line 3+ should be OK. I've not had any problem with mine.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Well although I agree with the not recording as close to 0dBV thing, and practice accordingly, my point is this. I should not have to have my device outputting a line level (MiniMoog Voyager or stage piano) and the gain knob on the Firestudio dialed all the way up as far as they will go to get a -5dBV signal in the DAW. I should be getting a very good signal coming through with both knobs at 12 o'clock.

Just seems like something is not right. As far as I can gather the MiniMoog outputs a line level of -10dBV. Is this the issue? Is the Firestudio geared more to the +4dBV line standard?

My only solution in that case would be a DI then, no?
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Is there no control over line inputs in the digital mixer, to change the line from -10 to +4 ?

I know some converters have a dip switch inside (so you need to open up the equipment and move some dips)

ask on the presonus forum.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The analog line level gain is only +12 so if your starting out below -10 then thats most likely the problem. You might try raising it in the FS mixer control screen on your computer.
But for me an individual channel signal as low as -18RMS is fine. More room for summing.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
My Digi 002 had the dip switches on the back for +4dBu or -10dBV, but the Presonus does not. I've not read anywhere, or heard in the forum that there are any switches inside the unit.

I have a thread in the Presonus forum, but the forum's not that well visited and only one guy has been replying with post that don't answer the question at all...

Firestudio line input low gain issue - PreSonus Forums

GL.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I don't use the FS Mixer, to me that's just one more thing to go wrong. Logic deals just fine with the FS on its own. Maybe when I have to do a session with multiple headphone mixes, the promise of lower latency will lure if Logic gives me problems.

I'm just used to more headroom and have a serious aversion to turning knobs up all the way unless i have to... always says to me that something is not quite right.
πŸ“ Reply