Quantcast
Cheap comp - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheap comp
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cheap comp

Ok so I am recording my band in our practice space. It is a two piece bass and drums (quite loud). We wanted to record a live set up so we are going mic by mic for placement and clarity. The first two are up and we are getting great results except the mics are clipping (not so noticable to the ear but you can hear it) even at the lowest settings. I am assuming I need to insert a hardware compressor into the chain. Can anyone recommend a compressor (under $500 under $300 is even better)...I need two channels everything is going into an 002r--->protools le. thanks for your help.
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Most people here seems to like the RNC (Really Nice Compressor), which is under 300$.

But it's not normal that your mics are clipping even at the lowest setting, and I doubt that a compressor will solve that problem.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Shadow ➑️
Most people here seems to like the RNC (Really Nice Compressor), which is under 300$.

But it's not normal that your mics are clipping even at the lowest setting, and I doubt that a compressor will solve that problem.
You think that there might be something else wrong, besides just a loud signal?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is there any attenuation on the mics? I have had this problem before where the mic pre was all the way down and still clipping the pre.

I agree that a comp may not be the answer to your issues. What kind of mics are you using?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really its the MXL V69 that is clipping. the other (at3035) is just fine for now. Both are going into a 002r
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Get 2 RNC's or a ART VLA....either combo would serve you well !!

David B
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the 002 doesnt have inserts so you cant use a hardware comp.

the problem is most likely the 002 pres dont have a pad and are to hot.
ive had the same problem with signals clipping the 002 pres but are fine with other pres.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you really want to hook up a processor to the 002, you'll just have to be creative (for example using xlr -> trs convertors on your microphone cables, running those into the RNC and running the outs with trs cables into the 002).

I imagine you're using some kind of phantom power for the MXL V69. Could you give us some more info on that?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The V69, being a tube mic with its own power supply, doesn't use any phantom power from the pre. If you have the phantom power turned on, it would definitely cause some problems. Also, I've found the V69 to have a lot more self gain than any of my other condensors so you have to use a much lower than normal gain setting on the pre. Unfortunately, the V69 doesn't have a pad switch.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Shadow ➑️
If you really want to hook up a processor to the 002, you'll just have to be creative (for example using xlr -> trs convertors on your microphone cables, running those into the RNC and running the outs with trs cables into the 002).

or simply use an external preamp. even a simple DMP3 would be an improvement over the 002 pres i bet. it would definitly have more headroom plus then you would have more channels anyway. its a win win.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks for all the replies. I will check to make sure that the phantom power is switched off (honestly that could be the problem which would be embarrassing). I also have a GT brick that I will try running the V69 through.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
RNC good bang for the buck
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok so I need help. I just got back from recording and again the mics were clipping, no phantom power on the V69 and still clipping. I really like what the mics are picking up, but it is just too hot. What can I do? I have one mic about two feet above the drummers head, and one mic in between the bass cab and kick drum (at least a foot and a half away from both). There is a good balance between the two mics, but they are just too hot.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get an XLR (mic duty not line) in-line pad. Compression is too late in the chain to fix that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
inline attenuator may help you out.

Shure | A15AS - In-Line Attenuator | A15AS | B&H Photo Video
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne ➑️
Get an XLR (mic duty not line) in-line pad. Compression is too late in the chain to fix that.
like an attenuator?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleboy3 ➑️
RNC good bang for the buck
RNLA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by abell1234 ➑️
like an attenuator?
Yes. Like Johnwayne's post. AT akso makes the AT8202 with slightly different setings at -10, 20, 30, or likely there's cheaper single' pad ones out there.
Now this presumes your record and/or mic pre is clipping from comming in too hot- not if the mic is actually 'clipping which can happen. (just try jangling' a set of keys within about five or six inches from most condensors -it's the sound bee bees' bouncing off' heh
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
ebay a couple DBX 163x's
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
doesn't anyone read the actual question/problem? everyone around here just wants to recommend something to justify their own purchase of the same thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie ➑️
doesn't anyone read the actual question/problem? everyone around here just wants to recommend something to justify their own purchase of the same thing.
On the other hand was the one who said 'cheap comp though. But looks like we did make some progress towards the problem at hand..

Well that was supposed to be 'OP was the one..'
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie ➑️
Your point about finding the source of the issue is a great one, but why the harsh judgment or those chiming in to answer the question at its most basic level?

I agree that deviating from the real issue is annoying, but your comment is a bit rude.

Anyway, an inline pad is the way to go, as many have already stated. Otherwise an external pre is a good option as well, and many fall within the lower range of the stated budget.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for all the advice, I am going to order an attenuator today, and I would love to post some clips in this thread next week, and get some feedback from you all as well. I did some recording today with the mics that are not clipping, and once I get an attenuator I should be good to go.
πŸ“ Reply