your best low budget trick - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
your best low budget trick
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
your best low budget trick

Hi all,
since we all want to squeeze everything we can out our money/gear what would you say is your best low budget trick??

Bill
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
UAD-2.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gearslutz.com
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Har-Bal & Sonar
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
also how do you use these "tricks"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There is so much info here on GS even in this thread there will be great stuff for people to learn about.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C ➑️
UAD-2.
I'll see your UAD2 and raise you my UAD1 heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
An associates from a community college in Music Recording (taught by full-sail graduates/local industry leaders)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Speaker microphone for kickdrum and bass.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Naiant mics.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
did I miss something??? WHEN did UAD become "low budget" ???????

Bill
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleboy3 ➑️
did I miss something??? WHEN did UAD become "low budget" ???????

Bill
NEWSFLASH!!

UAD is low-budget.

it 'emulates' gear that is high budget.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obitheincredible ➑️
Gearslutz.com
+1
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
My best low budget trick is creating CD's that get international airplay with equipment that most "professionals" consider pure crap...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Using guitar pedals instead of multi-effects units, using church halls and other empty spaces instead of reverb units, using the inserts on my low-budget mixer to record channels seperately instead of spending a fortune on a big console with multiple outs, using kid's toy keyboards and cheap old combo organs for weird and lo-fi electronic textures instead of expensive synthesizers, and recording with thrift store Β£1 karaoke mics for a lo-fi texture, too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Free plugins. There are amazing stuff out there - Digitalfishphones, etc. Even thought I've gone on to some high(er)-end plugins, I still use things like Blockfish and Endorphin regularly in my mixes.

Best low-end trick is to be really clued up about what is availible out there gear-wise (there are some really nice stuff availible for very little money that kicks serious ass) and get ideas by seeing how other folks made great recordings with low-end gear.

Respect GZsound! It's been proven over and over that if you can't make a quality recording with most of today's low end gear the problem is most likely not the gear. I love guys like Harvey Gerst for what they achieve. I've had my small share of success (although it keeps growing), also getting some international airplay, with what is mostly considered modest gear around these parts. Hell yeah!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerV ➑️
also getting some international airplay, with what is mostly considered modest gear around these parts. Hell yeah!
Come here, come here, ssshhh, I'll let you in on something, as long as you don't say anything to those guys in the high-end forum, but if you've got some great songs and a decent enough recording technique, the gear really won't make any difference whether people like it and want to buy it or not...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➑️
I'll see your UAD2 and raise you my UAD1 heh
Nicely played.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Look at some of the low-cost DIY projects on my (and others) website and then let your mind go work!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
the classic. cymbal stand turned mic stand goes a long way.

to get more low end from an acoustic guitar, take a pair of headphones and put them on the body like you would as if you were wearing them. go ahead and mic the the guitar and also run headphones in to a separate channel. blend in just a bit of the headphone low end for extra punch. or do the same thing and play with your fingers and you get a very full bass tone.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ah yeah, forgot about that, for my next trick, I will be using my ATM40s as a mic through a VTB-1 to feed my vocoder, and getting pretty nice results thumbsup
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerV ➑️
Free plugins. There are amazing stuff out there - Digitalfishphones, etc. Even thought I've gone on to some high(er)-end plugins, I still use things like Blockfish and Endorphin regularly in my mixes.

Best low-end trick is to be really clued up about what is availible out there gear-wise (there are some really nice stuff availible for very little money that kicks serious ass) and get ideas by seeing how other folks made great recordings with low-end gear.

Respect GZsound! It's been proven over and over that if you can't make a quality recording with most of today's low end gear the problem is most likely not the gear. I love guys like Harvey Gerst for what they achieve. I've had my small share of success (although it keeps growing), also getting some international airplay, with what is mostly considered modest gear around these parts. Hell yeah!
What I find is that you can be way behind the gear upgrade curve and still make decent recordings.

For example, there were a ton of number one hits made on ADAT machines and now you can buy one for a couple hundred bucks.

Most "professionals" would tell you that you can't possibly make "commercial" music on an ADAT now.. Junk. Crap. etc.

Old four track reel to reel machines.. Tascam digital machines.. DAT machines..etc. all are old technology and not considered "professional" anymore.

But go back and listen to some of the music made on that old gear and then tell me it's sub-standard.. Pretty funny.

And we all know that any music done on a hundred thousand dollar Pro Tools system with ten thousand dollar per signal chain mics and preamps is the only good music being recorded...right? Sure no crap being released with "professional" gear is there?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Samples. Look online, many are free. I have downloaded basically the entire yamaha motif sound library from people making samples of it. Tons of free sample libraries. Mixed with...

M-Audio Oxygen If you are cheap you won't care about the feel and with the free sample libraries you will be pro at everything except guitars and vocals (bass and drums do fine with samples and of course anything keyboards)

Free VSTI synths

Noise gates

free plugins

Good singers

Sm7

N12 (it ain't cheap, but it's my preamps, converters, extra effects buses *since my computer is also just a home computer so I don't have the DSP to run many effects*, monitoring system with talkback and speaker switching, real faders for mixdowns, and lastly, makes me look professional *it's a beauty*. How else can you get all those professional quality for $1000? Converters usually cost more for two channels!)

Again, naiants!

Trademark 30

That's basically all I have and I do fine!
Lives for gear

#1 DIY, DIY, DIY.
Especially room treatment, it's easy, no special skills needed. Hundreds of plans/examples online. Best sound improvement for the dollar I've ever spent by several orders of magnitude. You can build traps for about $20 a piece if you get the materials from the right places.

If you're ambitious and technically inclined, there are many projects for preamps, compressors, even mics. Some are easier than others. Kits are good for beginners.

#2 Chinese mics are also a good investment for the money. Plus you can always mod them to make them much higher quality for very cheap (back to the DIY). Tons of online help for this as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1) Working with the source; making sure heads, strings, tubes, etc. are fresh and sounding good. Making sure everyone checks their tuning early and often.

2) Using the right tool for the job; the right instrument, amp or other equip that will deliver the desired tone, and the right type of microphone to compliment that tone.

3) Understanding acoustics and being resourceful in regards to them; Buying materials in bulk to save money, and looking for less expensive and unique materials when practical (Rockwool, 703, heavy bed and futon mattresses, drum risers made from old car tires and plywood, book shelf diffusers, etc. etc. etc. )

4a and 4b) Understanding gain staging, and knowing how/where to point a microphone in order to get the desired tone.

5) Not worrying about how much I've spent (or not spent) on gear and worrying instead on whether or not it's doing what I need it to do.

6) Craigslist.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This one ought to qualify. If you're getting too much bad room noise on a vocal recording, throw a blanket around yourself and the mic.

Sounds stupid. It is. But if you A/B the two different versions, you'll notice an improvement.

Just don't tell anyone...and absolutely DO NOT post advice like this on a gear forum.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A smidge of distortion can cover any multitude of recording inadequacies.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This thread
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Decent monitors, free or cheap plug-ins.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1. Train your mind/ears.

Get real familiar with your monitors. Listen to commercial music on them and mix on them. Also, get a good set of headphones and keep them. Over time get real familiar with them. Try your hand at mastering on them. Train your brain to understand where the balance of sonic energy is in your favorite professional recordings. Now learn to apply that to your recordings. Don't mix and master for volume mix and master for sonic pleasure and depth. Leave the loudness wars to the corporations/commercial releases. You're above all that.

2. Mic position is king.

Get a decent pair of closed back headphones that can isolate sound and practice moving either yourself or the mic around for the best tone that you are going for. I've noticed over the years that leaving more distance between the mic and the source can be a great thing. It takes away a lot of proximity effect and also tends to smooth highs out as well; also it can create a little space in the recording. With proper mic position believe it or not it might be possible to mix an album without the use of hardly any eq. Often in recording the saying less is more holds true, so try to get to where you are trying to go sonically without relying on, "fixing it in the mix."

3. Home made isolation booths.

Hang some heavy blankets from your ceiling with those screw in hooks that you can get at Home Depot, (Or wherever). Create a box, (As large as possible) that you can record in. Again, don't forget about mic position inside your little blanket recording fort.

4. Practice, practice, practice.

If you are a musician that is trying to record his or her material then don't get too caught up in gear acquisition, recording and reading online engineering forums like Gearlutz. Play your instrument or instruments every day and always try to get better. If you're a singer, sing every day and practice learning how to stay in tune and controlling your dynamics, pronunciation, and vibrato. If you're a song writer try to write a new song every couple of weeks to completion. You'll get better as you go along and after a couple of years you should have a bunch of songs that you can choose the top 12 let's say to re-record and make a great album.

Just Do It
πŸ“ Reply