Quantcast
your best low budget trick - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
your best low budget trick
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
In a not so fabulous room, you can make a decent recording with an SM 57 and some OC 703.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Instead of buying an expensive internal fan for your computer, or trying to build a box around the computer tower, all in an effort to get rid of the noise, just move the noisy bugger to another room and get an extension cord for the monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Instead of buying expensive mic stands, get cheap ones and screw them down to a larger piece of plywood, weighted down by some bricks. Stick-on rubber feet under the plywood helps protect the floor from scratches.

Instead of trying to build a room where the heat/AC doesn't make any noise, just run a kill switch for the heat/AC to somewhere near your recording desk. Turn the heat/AC off for the minutes when you are actually recording, then right back on afterward.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey ➑️
Don't pretend this is a recording technique... Still trying play down that bow and arrow we found at your house, huh?

heh

R.
Oh that bow and arrow. That was purely for my Anthropological research. heh

I actually used to love building elaborate blanket forts when I was young. I guess it's still kind of fun.

"I'm a Toys R Us kid, I don't want to grow up."

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i-Tunes audio Enhancer for cheap (free) mastering effect. Sounds surprisingly good.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
1. Buy a soldering iron and scour junk shops for old mics (probably with DIN plugs). Get some XLR connectors and hey presto! instant retro.
I've got about four of these junk mics, use them for TB as well as some spot effects, "radio voice" etc.

2. Look for gear mods on the net, esp. guitar pedals. They are cheap and can improve the sound of pedals hugely. Use pedals instead of rack gear where money is tight. Again with the soldering iron.

3. Electro Harmonix Black Finger Valve Compressor. This is a stomp-box with 2 12AX7's and sounds great, esp. on bass. You can also push it into saturation quite nicely. I'd bet if this were in a 1U rack, it would cost 3 times the price.

4. Junk instruments, I got some trumpets, zithers, banjos etc. for 5-10 EUR each from flea markets etc. Can be cool for adding a vibe to a track and stretching yourself musically if you don't play any of these instruments.

5. Put good pickups into budget instruments. I got a set of '92 Fender Jazz Bass pickups on ebay for 35 EUR, put them into my Peavy Milestone ( ) Bass, a slice of foam under the strings at the bridge and it's instant Motown. Obviously this is case-dependent, a set of vintage P-90's in a no-name LP copy will only get you so far.

6. Look for ebay auctions that are in the wrong category. This can often lead to surprising bargains. Sometimes people don't know *exactly* what it is they are selling.

7. Stillwell plug-ins. THESE ARE AWESEOME. Gotta love the guys business model too. Free, unrestricted trials and 1/2 price for Reaper. Try the Rocket compressor on the drum room mic.

8. Hallways and other rooms. Throw up a mic at the far end and leave the door open. Smash to taste for some ghettoverb.

9. Use your instincts.

+1 on the speakers-as-mics.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
for bass I run into my sans amp GT2 then into the board . it sounds awesome!!!
Deleted 99dc753
I think the best cheap advise aside form gear is:

write a great song and arrange it in your DAW till that you have no doubt that is easily can compare to professional arrangements.

If you are a clever arranger in this case you would take care for a great recording so that f-ranges fit nice and mixing is going to be as easy as it never was.

You save so much time and gear due to a great arrangement.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Low Budget Tricks

E-bay, search everything, not just electronics and musical gear. Incorrectly classified stuff can be had on the cheap.

Cascade FH2 Ribbon Mics. $150? Yup. Killer overheads, killer guitar cab mics.

Little Smokey High Gain Pocket amp for that dirty, dirty filler tone on heavy guitar. $38.

Drumagog. Yeah buddy, that $400 Ddrum kit IS awesome....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaparker ➑️
Instead of trying to build a room where the heat/AC doesn't make any noise, just run a kill switch for the heat/AC to somewhere near your recording desk. Turn the heat/AC off for the minutes when you are actually recording, then right back on afterward.
That'd save me a bunch of trips up the steps during a session! What a good idea.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lownoterider ➑️
E-bay, search everything, not just electronics and musical gear. Incorrectly classified stuff can be had on the cheap.

Cascade FH2 Ribbon Mics. $150? Yup. Killer overheads, killer guitar cab mics.

Little Smokey High Gain Pocket amp for that dirty, dirty filler tone on heavy guitar. $38.

Drumagog. Yeah buddy, that $400 Ddrum kit IS awesome....

I totally agree with this !!! and let me add look for short auctions ones that end in 3 days or less I recently picked up an Altec 1628a mixer for $54 and it had 4 1588c modules!!! I am going to mod it will be sweet on drums!!! I also scored an americian mad CAD E250 for $65 (shipping was extra) and its not even here yet!!! I LOVE the bay for deals!!!

Bill
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I didn't check all the previous posts...
My favorite and free trick is muting.
Seriously.

MR
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They sell 4' X 8' sheets of stiff polyurethane fiberboards for construction at Home Depot. They are foil lined and as such sound like crap. They also sell 4' x 8' sheets of styrofoam, which sounds amazingly better. Glue the two panels together. You can also cover the styrofoam with random patterns of acoustical ceiling tiles, and then put some fabib over the panel, maybe make some boarders or glue some wall mounts to the back...

Anyway when tracking drums, move it in on the kick drum to get the huge factor on kick. Another tool in the arsenal as required.

I also built a bunch ot these and hang them off angle. They work well.
Attached Thumbnails
your best low budget trick-lauten002.jpg  

Last edited by Kronos147; 21st March 2009 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: noticed my spelling mistake
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➑️

3. Home made isolation booths.

Hang some heavy blankets from your ceiling with those screw in hooks that you can get at Home Depot, (Or wherever). Create a box, (As large as possible) that you can record in. Again, don't forget about mic position inside your little blanket recording fort.
I love this trick! Some picture hanging nails, safety pins, 4 couch cushions, 1 roll of masking tape, 1 chair, and 2 comforters = My amp isolation booth.

I also found that taking the back off of your amp or speaker cab lets you run the amp hotter for tube saturation without getting evicted.
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Talking

Reflection filter from sleeping bag hung over mic stands in a V.

Also northernsound.net
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One more trick I do to get max control over my guitar sound. Run guitar into a stereo effects pedal in bypass. One line goes into the amp with ridiculous amounts of gain set on it, and the mic (e609 silver) positioned right where the dust cover and the cone meet. Get the level and sound you want from the mic. Run the second line directly into your interface and hit record. Then I throw guitar rig 3 on the DI channel and set it to some light crunch making sure its brighter than the other track. I get a huge guitar tone this way with plenty of definition.

Also, Gearslutz is like having Macgyver on speed dial!

You can also use a Mackie A/B/Y switch instead of a stereo effects pedal. They run about $40 or so.

Last edited by Insomniaclown; 1st February 2009 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
SIR!
Stillwell Vibe Eq
Sony's free acid loop 8 packs
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another thread just reminded me of this neat trick that Jimmy Page often employed: route your signal through a wahwah pedal left wide open. Nice gnarly tone.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude ➑️
Almost forgot, best lowender trick:

Always tell everyone you were going lofi on purpose!
Excellent!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigramp ➑️
- mic is too bright ? put some surgical gauze on it

- hi-hat is too trashy ? put a pair of socks inside it.

- cheap ribbon mics are great on guitar amps. in fact, my 100$ TBone RB500 is better than my M201 / D112 / Sputnik / SM57. just remove as much protection as you can (mine is nearly naked)

- homemade bass traps and large frequency traps. lots of them. with rockwool.

- acoustic guitar sounds too bright ? dead strings sometimes sound better. put a hint of butter on them !

- old reel-to-reel can be found for amazing prices. i got one for 20$. instant vintage sound

- cheap analog stompboxes often sound better than plugins

- someone said Electro Harmonix Black Finger. i have a White Finger and it's indeed great. it's a Black Finger without the tube, so it's cheaper, but the sound is here.

- explore / invent new techniques. anything is possible

- Moogerfoogers ... the drive preamp sounds amazing. no software sounds like that.

- record outside, in a quiet place ! best dead room you'll find. no reverberation.

- create percussions with anything that sounds good when beaten
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
my best low budget trick is asking a forum full of people what their best low budget tricks are.

wait....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
here's another good one that will actually make you money.

sell the t.v. and use that time to practice your instrument.heh
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB ➑️
A smidge of distortion can cover any multitude of recording inadequacies.
Hallelulah.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
a pop screen...
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
another trick is I do ALL my mods myself. the hard part is finding the info

Bill
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
my tips:

having an organized, efficient, and comfortable space -- no clutter. make the use of what you have. one is more motivated in an efficient space. you'll get more work done, and clients will be more excited about coming in.

having plastic cheap drawers (like they sell at target) for cables, misc. percussive instruments, strings, etc. helps consolidate space.

and, just do it. you are what you do. sometimes figuring out RIGHT WHERE TO PLACE THAT MIC is not important. try several different places, and go with your gut. just make sure you're having fun -- or find another hobby.

love the suggestions here. looking forward to seeing this thread blossom.

jon
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice ➑️
a pop screen...
YES. very helpful -- love the shure popper stopper! (~$40)

i would recommend a used one though...its basically a bacteria net by that time...

jon
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
you can make a popper stopper for under $20

embroidery hoop $5

cheap knee high panty hose $3

flexible water feed line $7

spring clamp $2

is it ghetto?? ABSOLUTELY!!! LOL!!! heh but it will get the job done

Bill
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Space, using the spaces around you.

Using the bathroom or other tiled (or semi-tiled room) to capture ambiance.
Open or close the door to vary the reverberation.
This also works in the tub (just remember to empty the bathwater first!) with glass doors (can also work in a garage if there's not too much noise).

Playing an acoustic guitar in a hallway, pointing at the wall and recording the reflected sound - can sound big.

Leaning a small amp against the dry wall (makes it a passive radiator and can sound big.....or lousy....it all depends ).

Of course, the obvious is a close closet as an "iso booth (or just buy one of the clothes racks on wheels and wheel it over when you need it )

Oh, and....Getting a free MXL M69M and tearing out the inner layers of mesh and damping the base of the capsule mount. The darn thing now actually sounds like it wasn't free!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsays ➑️
YES. very helpful -- love the shure popper stopper! (~$40)

i would recommend a used one though...its basically a bacteria net by that time...

jon
i meant WOULDN'T!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr4444 ➑️
An associates from a community college in Music Recording (taught by full-sail graduates/local industry leaders)
Yea I feel u on that worked wonders
πŸ“ Reply