Quantcast
Money is tight - Suggestions for gear downgrade? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Money is tight - Suggestions for gear downgrade?
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Question Money is tight - Suggestions for gear downgrade?

Can you folks help with an equipment downgrade decision?

I’m an enthusiast composer and mixer - and I have a hybrid setup that works for me. However, money is tight, and I’m looking at liquidating some of my gear if I can find approximate low-end substitutions.

I’d like to describe the pieces below - my usage - and am hoping for suggestions. This is analog gear that I use to process ITB submixes sent out-of-the-box. The music ranges from electronic pop to action-adventure soundtracks:

EL7 FATSO - Mainly mix buss; use of tranny, warmth, and overall drive depending on the program material (not as much use of the compressor)

RND Portico 5043 Compressor - Mainly on a submixes (MB multi-buss style) when I want various rhythmic elements to gel and coalesce; I very much like the lows and dynamic “rounding” of the highs when compressing a couple of db with low ratios.

RND Portico 5042 Tape Emulator - Again on a submix; either pushing anything with a ton of lows for the harmonic generation; or pushing overly bright material in that I would like to have a prominent high mid presence.

SPL Stereo Vitalizer MK2-T - Also on a submix; often background submixes that could benefit from being wide; I’m sometimes really happy sending bass elements that need to be more present, but I do not want the dense harmonics generated by the 5042 or Waves RBass.

SPL Phonitor - I love head-phone monitoring through these; I do not think it replaces speakers; but composing and detail mixing is a pleasure.

So, given all of the above, any approximate low-end substitutions?! Huge Thanks.
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vo1k1 ➡️

I’m an enthusiast composer and mixer - and I have a hybrid setup that works for me. However, money is tight, and I’m looking at liquidating some of my gear if I can find approximate low-end substitutions.

I’d like to describe the pieces below - my usage - and am hoping for suggestions. This is analog gear that I use to process ITB submixes sent out-of-the-box. The music ranges from electronic pop to action-adventure soundtracks:

EL7 FATSO - Mainly mix buss; use of tranny, warmth, and overall drive depending on the program material (not as much use of the compressor)

RND Portico 5043 Compressor - Mainly on a submixes (MB multi-buss style) when I want various rhythmic elements to gel and coalesce; I very much like the lows and dynamic “rounding” of the highs when compressing a couple of db with low ratios.

RND Portico 5042 Tape Emulator - Again on a submix; either pushing anything with a ton of lows for the harmonic generation; or pushing overly bright material in that I would like to have a prominent high mid presence.

SPL Stereo Vitalizer MK2-T - Also on a submix; often background submixes that could benefit from being wide; I’m sometimes really happy sending bass elements that need to be more present, but I do not want the dense harmonics generated by the 5042 or Waves RBass.

SPL Phonitor - I love head-phone monitoring through these; I do not think it replaces speakers; but composing and detail mixing is a pleasure.

So, given all of the above, any approximate low-end substitutions?! Huge Thanks.
Sorry you have to give up gear. I know how hard that is. I think the Phonitor is the most obvious one you might want to ditch, unless you do a super lot of mixing on headphones. Also maybe you could find a plugin to do something close to what the Portico tape emu does. I like the DUY plugin a lot, but I haven't used the Portico so can't directly compare. There are a lot of "widener" plugs comeing out too these days that might replace the vitalizer.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
liquidating gear? Don't do it.... the money won't be great and you'll end up paying out nearly all of what you get o replace for lower spec stuff.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold ➡️
...maybe you could find a plugin to do something close to what the Portico tape emu does. I like the DUY plugin a lot, but I haven't used the Portico so can't directly compare. There are a lot of "widener" plugs comeing out too these days that might replace the vitalizer.
Yeah, there are some good plugins - I have a bunch of them - but the analog processing on the submixes adds something I do not hear ITB. That's why I was hoping that I could keep that while going more low end.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
liquidating gear? Don't do it.... the money won't be great and you'll end up paying out nearly all of what you get o replace for lower spec stuff.
Good point. I'll run the sale/purchase numbers - possibly using data from watching ebay. Maybe that way I can rationalize keeping the gear
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

My question is, what would selling these off leave you with?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't do it. NEVER include your gear in any financial projections, just pretend it doesn't exist when you're doing your number crunching.

Maybe it's too late for you now for that approach, but I've been in some heavy financial situations recently and from the word go, I never consider selling gear as an option, which means that you look harder earlier for other solutions.

If you always think of your gear as an emergency financial backup, then being human, you will let things slide to that point rather than find alternative solutions before it does get to that point.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We sold off our Manley/ SPL tube /Orban EQ's/Lexi 70 /TC 3000/ Finalizer 96/ etc. ---had to get realistic. Our market\clients just could not afford (or probably hear ) the upper boutique. Went with the Behringer DEQ and the used lower-end TC /Lexi units.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Good point. I'll run the sale/purchase numbers - possibly using data from watching ebay. Maybe that way I can rationalize keeping the gear

It's been a while, but when times have been hard I've just done what's necessary to get by. Rehearsals for bands helped...using our live rooms. I also had a four mornigns a week job in a newspaper shop.... just don't sell the gear UNLESS you want out for good..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➡️
Don't do it. NEVER include your gear in any financial projections, just pretend it doesn't exist when you're doing your number crunching.
I agree. I have made that mistake & when I choose to go back it cost so much more.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One thing that we discovered ...we did not have to go back----we could deliver a quality product > matching the price they could afford.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
maybe give up 1 or 2 pieces...at most, but...it will not be an economical decision to sell your gear used (some have said this already)...then to repurchase more gear. Check ebay like you said, find the items that have held their purchase prices/value the most and maybe give those up first. You may actually find that in a tight economy, your used gear sells for less than it may be actually worth to you, even in tight times.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The only reason I sell gear is if I'm NOT using it. It's nice to have options, but if you never use it, sell it. You could always rent it in most cases, should the need arise.

As I contemplate selling my studio monitors, since my stereo field recorder doesn't really need them to do what it does. And they're too much of a power hog to use regularly. And I might get some pretty good mics from the liquidation. They are good for getting the feel for windscreen effectiveness, but beyond that the gear is the gear, the recording is the recording, and the monitors have no bearing on the originals. Since most of my stuff is straight to archive, there's not much mixing involved. It's nice to have the option, but I'm really not using it enough to justify keeping.

It is a rather bad economy to be selling things. If you want to move the inventory in under six months, you will likely have to sell for much less than you'd like to. Or play banker and finance the gear to trusted buyers, not desirable in most cases.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Buy my new ad2022 I have...lol expand.
📝 Reply