Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Drum Recording 4-5 Mics

I can dedicate 4 - 5 channels to drums and only have the following mics:

4 SM-57s
1 SM7-B
1 Beta-52

Live room with quite a bit of reflections, 10' ceilings, pretty big. Sounds great on vocals but haven't done drums in it yet.

Right now I'm thinking 2 57s in recorderman as close as I can get them without bugging the drummer and 2 57s out in front of kit in x/y pattern for some stereo spread, adjusting height to get more or less top or bottom. Then throw the SM-7B or Beta on kick or wherever else is needed. Probably keep the recorderman mics in mono or slightly panned, the two front 57s panned pretty hard.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried anything like this? I'm wondering how the recorderman mics and the two front mics will work out. Besides switching phase on opposing mics, any other ideas? Yeah, I also know that 57s are not the best overheads but that's all that's available. I'm going for a modern sound in the vein of Achtung Baby, not like 27 close mics, slammin' type sound.

Aaron
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd go with a more conventional setup when your mic choice is limited.

I'd only experiment with a mic in the room if you have more mic's.

kick Beta 52
snare SM57
rack toms one SM 57 in between (not too close in between, otherwise it won't pick up both the toms correctly)
floor tom SM 7B
OH 2x SM57

If you have one more mic and input available I'd put that somewhere in the room, maybe a couple of meters from the kick at knee height.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'd go with a more conventional setup when your mic choice is limited.

I'd only experiment with a mic in the room if you have more mic's.

kick Beta 52
snare SM57
rack toms one SM 57 in between (not too close in between, otherwise it won't pick up both the toms correctly)
floor tom SM 7B
OH 2x SM57

I can see that would be the conventional way of doing it at least as far as which mics traditionally seem to work on which drums. It's interesting because I was actually thinking that something like what I mentioned would be pretty conventional in terms of limited channels and trying to capture as much of the picture as possible by getting away from close mic'ing. I may go back to a setup like you mentioned but feel like trying something new on this project.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Any other suggestions for going the non-close mic route?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Oh yeah, and I do have a 6th channel and an AT2020 that came with some gear I purchased a while back. I only used it once and didn't like it that much so I wasn't planning on using it. Maybe it will surprise me though.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I think, in this case, you'll like the AT2020 more than 57s on overhead duty...

I'd use the 2020 as a mono overhead. Stereo overheads are highly overrated.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Miller ➑️
Any other suggestions for going the non-close mic route?
Yeah, Beta 52 in front of the kick. AT2020 over the kit. That's as simple as it gets.
Move them around until you get the balance you want. Then compress as necessary.

I have to say I agree with Geert in his approach. You have enough mics to place next to each drum. Assuming we're talking about a 4 or 5 piece kit.
B52 on kick. 57s on all other drums. Sm7 needs lots of gain so I would pass on that. Using all 57s also make it easier to eq if you need to.

AQ.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, I've been wondering just how well the 57 will work on capturing the high end info. I've never used it on anything but guitar cabs, snares, and some vocals. I'm sure I'll be boosting some at 12K on my GTQ2--luckilly the EQ is really nice and smooth--but I just don't think the 57 captures much above 12K range. I heard that a 58 was used on overheads on some Achtung Baby songs so that's why I started thinking about the possibilities. Maybe its just an urban legend.

I've never liked the AT2020 on anything but, then again, the last time I used it was years ago and I didn't have very good gear and probably lacked experience. I guess it's not too difficult to A-B them. I'll probably spend 8 hours experimenting an then end up going back to something more traditional as Geert van den Berg said.

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
I would do:

Mono overhead: AT2020
Snare: 57
Toms: 57 x 2
Floor: SM7B
Kick: Beta52

Done.

The kick / floor I would experiment between those two mics.

If you only have one rack tom, mic the snare top and bottom.

War
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
I would do:

Mono overhead: AT2020
Snare: 57
Toms: 57 x 2
Floor: SM7B
Kick: Beta52

Done.

The kick / floor I would experiment between those two mics.

If you only have one rack tom, mic the snare top and bottom.

War
Yupper... great suggestion War (as always )
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla ➑️
Yupper... great suggestion War (as always )
+2...the boys have you laser sighted for mammoth drum tone. You are in good hands with Gord and War...the Gargantuans of Gear.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Miller ➑️
I heard that a 58 was used on overheads on some Achtung Baby songs so that's why I started thinking about the possibilities. Maybe its just an urban legend.
I may be wrong but I seem to recall the SM58 in those situations being used as an effect ie 1176 'all in' etc.

R.
πŸ“ Reply