Quantcast
What cheap mixer has the most decent preamps? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What cheap mixer has the most decent preamps?
Old 4th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mix Wiz all the way. i use one for my radio show. in fact recently my go to mic pre crapped out on me and my Great River was in repair. I used the Mix Wiz to amp my SM7, oktavamod, and NT2 no problem. I was especially impressed with the MixWiz and the SM7. I was almost at 90% gain and there was VERY little noise. I can't say this about ANY mackie i have ever used. They say onyx is on par with outboard pres but they said that about the VLZs.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd go for the mix wizard too - fantastic little mixer IMO!

The Yamaha MG series are, um, less than stellar IMO. In fact I had the unpleasant experience of using one for a band rehearsal, and thought it was dreadful. I've never heard a more obtrusive, unpleasant clipping from the preamps (when they DO clip) and the whole thing sounded quite brittle...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Mackie VLZ vs Onyx

There is a very discernible difference between the 2 Mackie lines. Like someone said, the VLZs are pretty crappy. The pres are just ok, and you'll run into problems pretty fast. The Onyx series, on the other hand, has much better pres and a more solid build. Having used both, I can tell you, if you go the Mackie route definitely use the Onyx. The firewire option doesnt hurt, but the ADA converters from Mackie are trash. They sound very harsh and the digital distortion is audible. I run my mics through my Onyx to an Apogee converter at the moment .... at least until I can save enough to get some API pres (smile).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Behringer XENYX mixers in the new low-end mixers are good enough for me. I run dynamic mic, and have to crank them up (they are 60 dB gain) fairly high. The work well.
Old 6th December 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Gabriel ➡️
I'm looking for a cheap mixer for a temporary use, don't ask why, and the most important thing in it for me is the mic preamps, i'm planning to record vocals with it, i just need it to be clean.
Have you considered renting?
Old 23rd July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obitheincredible ➡️
Where did you hear that?
From Sweetwater

'
"Quality audio performance with premium preamps
The emphasis with the Soundcraft EPM Series is very firmly on quality audio performance, with an easy-to-understand control surface uncluttered by unnecessary features. The EPM6 features Soundcraft's premium GB30 mic preamp (as used on the large-format LX7ii and GB Series desks) to provide high headroom and
precision control of mic signals."

Soundcraft EPM6 | Sweetwater.com

Sorry for the thread revival guys but I am now shopping for one of these mixers. Was having a hard time choosing between the A&H ZED-10 and the Soundcraft EPM 6.

I just now went for the EPM 6 at Thomann. Gonna use it to track my Virus and ER-1 and Vox into my RME Babyface. Here's hoping.
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Soundcraft M-series!
Old 24th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'd have to say A&H too

I've used Mackie, Soundcraft and Yamaha for live sound and they all sound like crap. Even the Onyx variety of the Mackie (used to have an Onyx interface for recording, though the pres were great... then got a Roland Octa-Capture when it died and the difference is surreal, the Onyx really had no depth and no clarity)

I'd have to say Yamaha and Behringer are the worse though. I've worked with higher-end Yamaha boards that were great, but the budget ones are just horrid.

While the A&H is still not studio quality pres, they don't have anything inherently bad about them (like the harshness of cheap Mackie and Yamaha boards)
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Ive been looking at the soundcraft mfx as my first mixer, I use an mpc 2500 llittle phatty sp 808 for fx and lexicon mx200 for fx too, I plan on adding a prophet 8 or 12 pkus ensoniq dp4..

I make sampled hip hop, is there anything out ythere ev3n older model mixers yoy guys would recommend, pref 500-800$
Old 24th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN ➡️
Ive been looking at the soundcraft mfx as my first mixer, I use an mpc 2500 llittle phatty sp 808 for fx and lexicon mx200 for fx too, I plan on adding a prophet 8 or 12 pkus ensoniq dp4..

I make sampled hip hop, is there anything out ythere ev3n older model mixers yoy guys would recommend, pref 500-800$
A&H ZED series. Brand new with great sound.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
lol, where were all you A&H guys when I was trying to make up my mind yesterday??!
Old 18th March 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie ➡️
Soundcraft puts fully class A mic pre's in their small format mixers, they are better than the Ghost. The Ghost pre's are class A/B. This from Soundcraft Tech support.

The mixwiz is a better board than the ZED according to A&H, but, $$ vs $$$.
Mackie VLZ are class b, cold pre's. Not sure about the Onyx.

You know you made the right choice.
I was looking to get a soundcraft, which model uses the class a mic pres? I want to research them
Old 19th March 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressurenyc ➡️
I was looking to get a soundcraft, which model uses the class a mic pres? I want to research them
Bump.
Old 19th March 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
From what I've read here the EMP series is it.
Old 20th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
ALL of their small format mixers use the GB30 mic preamp. The same mic pre that's in the ghost, LX7, etc.
Old 24th March 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZsound ➡️
ALL of their small format mixers use the GB30 mic preamp. The same mic pre that's in the ghost, LX7, etc.
I thought the ghost itself was a pre.
This is confusing.
Old 24th March 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordpriest ➡️
I thought the ghost itself was a pre.
This is confusing.
Im trying to research but im getting conflicting answers for example, is gb30 the same as ghost? it doesnt look like it,

EPM12 | Soundcraft - Professional Audio Mixers

The highly-transparent GB30 Mic amp (designed by Graham Blyth for the company’s 30th anniversary, and also used on the larger LX7ii and GB Series consoles) features high-resolution adjustment over a wide gain range of 55dB, and provides a stunning +22dB headroom through the console.

Signature 12 | Soundcraft - Professional Audio Mixers

Iconic Soundcraft® Ghost mic preamps with ultra-low noise performance
📝 Reply