Quantcast
Yamaha m1532 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha m1532
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yamaha m1532

I've got a chance to buy a Yamaha m1532 for 500 bucks. I've been searching the forums here and else where and google to find more info on this board. I've found and read the manual and I know it will need mods and such to make use of it in my home studio. I can solder and read schem's like a beast. I've found some people sayin that it sucks all the way up to people sayin its neve like( I highly doubt that it is Neve like in any way, but hey, I could be wrong). I've also read that its an API clone, Is this true? At the moment i have an Allen & Heath System 8 board that I mix drums on and use mostly as a summing amp. Don't get me wrong, I think that drums sound great mixed on the AH, but I don't like what everything else sounds like on it, very dark in my opinion, and I'm looking for a more all around board. Would the yamaha be an upgrade or not? I guess I'm just tryin to make the best sound I can for the money I have and I'd like to know any info anyone has on this board? 500 bucks might not be alot to some, but it is alot for me so I have to know what I'm buyin before I buy it.

Thanks to all..

Last edited by John Kent; 25th January 2009 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: More info
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Talking

Get it! Get it! Get it! If all the channels work you got a major steal! If a few don't work so what 500 is a steal for a great console like that! Its nothing like a neve at all! And it no where near sucks! Its sounds really good! It has transformers and pretty good eqs. I had one but the person who sold it to me lied and said everything worked. And I was about to clean it, cuz these boards are old and my tech found 7 dead strips. Woulda been a bitch for him to fix and many many tech hours and due to the guy not letting me know it was unfair to not allow me the chance to decide if I was gonna take on that project let alone I could have paid less for the board and invested more into repairing it. But anyways this thing can be super modded! If you have a tech that knows what there doing. The eqs can be changed alittle, you should recap it, the op-amps that come with it are great! I wouldn't touch em! They are just like API 2520! But you can Change it to any other discrete ones if you want. You could change the transformers also, I would do jensens, but they may no need to be changed. You can mod the master buss......... All kinds of things, they are more of a poor mans API. But thebes nothing poor about it! These console were reverse engineered API from yamaha! Now go get that board! You will and can thank me later when you do!
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ha, I take it that you think I should get it. I was leaning toward getting it, I think I just needed someone to agree with me.

Well I called today and I'm going to pick it up this week. I guess the guy that has it is the original owner, older guy, really nice as well, even warned me about a speed trap on the way to his place and the pending snow storm. Said that it didn't matter if I came tomorrow or next week. I think hes really happy to see it go to a studio and that its gonna be refurbed. He said the only problems it has are some scratchy pots.

As far as mods go. I know I'll be recappin it a module at a time. I hadn't givin to much thought on Op Amp replacment, however, I did read somewhere that these sound quite good.

The John Hardy Company 990 Discrete Op-Amp

I think I might do one module and compare it to the original and see what I like best

And I know somewhere in google land I found someone selling eq mods and solo mods. I wish I could find a tutorial on bulding those mods. I hate to spend money on a kit when I know I can build them myself, but I guess 20 dollors per mod kit isn't to bad.

I hadn't found much on Modding the Master section. If you could give me some insight into that, that would GREAT!!!

If anyone could point me to a place, the holy grail if you will, where I can find more info on modding this console or consoles like it, or even a place where I can just get ideas and figure it out on my own. I would be very greatful. I know I can do the work, but it helps to have directions.
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
You don't happen to live in ssalt lake city do you?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus ➑️
You don't happen to live in ssalt lake city do you?
Nope, I'm in a different place all together.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Sweet, because I found the same deal. Did you get yours yet?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus ➑️
Sweet, because I found the same deal. Did you get yours yet?
Not yet, goin to get it on Monday, I'll let you know what I think of mine when I do. I plan on modding out one of the channels to see what kind of difference it makes. If I like it I'll do the rest.

I'm tryin to find the schematics for the board. The best thing Ive found so far is the service manual for the m1516. I guess there shouldn't be to much of a difference. Just power ratings maybe.

I'm also tryin to figure out how to add direct outs to it. I have quite a bit of electronics experience, not a pro by any means. And the wife is an has a degree in electronics engineering. But I don't have much in the audio console field, but she said she would help me if needed. So if anyone could pony up some info on adding direct outs and a line return to this console, I'm all ears.

This console comes with 2 XLR inputs with an a/b switch. And it has 2 1/4 inch jacks for inserts. One for in, and one for out. What I would like to do is install TRS jacks for the inserts and turn the other jack into a Direct Out, and use the 2nd xlr as a return from the daw. I would use the insert in and out to get to the DAW, but I shutter to think what the latency would be like. Doing the rewire would alow for zero latency monitoring.

Hope anyone can help.
Old 26th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
John - did you ever get working on this thing? I've seen one for sale in my area (albeit for a bit more in terms of price) and I'm kind of interested. I'd like to hear more about what you think of the console, the stock pre's, the eq, etc. and if you've done any mods to it yet.
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
m153wow

hi mate

i have owned one of these for about 6 years now..i love it..i use it as a summing desk for mixing and the pres are really nice too..

listen i am about to venture into recapping it and am having trouble finding a service manual for cap values can you help..that would be great

also any info on the solo mod i assume that would be on the cue switch..thanks

ok

thanks

BA
πŸ“ Reply