Quantcast
Vocal mic for $500 or less - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocal mic for $500 or less
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Arrow Vocal mic for $500 or less

The reason i made this a new thread, is because i want a mic that will best fit with my needs. Im looking for a Vocal mic for 500 or less (i dont mind buying used, so its 500$ for a used one, not new)

I will mostly use this mic for rock ( vocals with distorted guitars and nice heavey drums) and acoustic rock/folk (acoustic guitars, nice simple guitars, bass, and an organ) The mic is in a large bedroom (12ft by 21ft) that has been pretty well acoustically treated (at least for a bedroom). Im a Male, with a slightly naselly voice (not a good singer, but hey you work with what you've got) you can hear my voice (as recorded with a Rode NT1000) at:
A FairyTale Ending on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

The mic will be going into a Motu 8pre (stock pre's) then straight into my computer.

After a good amount of research ive read a LOT about the Rode NTK and the Shure SM7-B.

what do you think would work best for me, and my situation?

I currently own 2 sm81's, a beta52, and 4 sm57's...

-Ian
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sm-7 is a good mic, but you have plenty of dynamics (not to mention shures).

I'd pick up a good LDC. Probably a Kel or the new Studio Projects would be ones I'd look at if its just for vocals.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
What would you change about the sound of your NT1000 and SM57 on voice? That would be a good point of reference to get better suggestions, ie "I like the NT1000 but it's too ___ or not enough ___" etc.

War
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you shop around, you should be able to pick up a Neumann BCM705 for under $500. Well worth checking out for vocal duties IMO.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
i've been really impressed w/ the Studio Electronics Se2200. They've seriously sold some souls down the river to get a mic that cheap that sounds that good.

otherwise, go used on the large and medium diaphragm condensers-- 4050, 4060, 414, etc.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
SM7

Of course, it depends on your vocalist and your pre. I absolutely love the SM7 on my voice better than the $1,800 handmade boutique U47 type mic I have. It has all the warmth and quality, but less mouthy schmutz. But then, I have a loud voice and a good pre (Great River).

I have been hearing that the MCA SP1 (not SP2) wipes out most inexpensive LDCs, and it is amazingly $40 from Pro Sound, Stage, Lighting. Here's a review from a noted mic expert.

MCA SP1 Review | recording hacks

The cool thing is, they say it can be modded later for about $125 and made into a really great mic. But people love them as is. I have one on order. Here's another useful site with VO samples:

VO Mic Tests

Best of luck,
John
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I say go for the SM7b and with the extra cash get yourself at least one if not two of these MXL SP1 Condenser Studio Microphone With Clip*-* Large Diaphragm Condenser Mics*-* Studio Mics*-* Microphones*-* Pro Audio Accessories*-* Accessories*-* PSSL.com. You will not regret it.

You might think about picking up something like the M-Audio DMP3 at a later time. Another no brainer investment on the lowend, IMO.

Looks like someone beat me to the SP-1 as I was posting. LOL

By the way, nice drums sounds.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
+1 for the SM7b

Also take a look at the AT40 series mics. Great bang for your buck.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Braun ➑️
+1 for the SM7b

My suggestion would be a Shure KSM 32 or AT 4047.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Get yourself an SM7b and call it a day.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Teh Sm57 is a good vocal mic, not to mention the SM58, Beta57 and Beta58, and the best thing is that they are cheap.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The 58 and Beta58 are good, but not on the same level as the SM7b. Sorry.

But yes, they are good mics and superb value for money if you're doing live shows. For a studio recording, the bare minimum would be a Beta58, but I would much prefer a SM7b, and the upside of the SM7b is that it removes pretty much all interference from computer screens, neon lights, RFI, EMI, and here's another wonderful thing - it removes most of the room sound...and unless your room is good, you don't want that for a vocal track anyway, so with a SM7b you win in pretty much all aspects. Condensers are great, but you need to spend an awful lot more to get the same quality of sound.

Ben
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards ➑️
Get yourself an SM7b and call it a day.
The SM7 is a fantastically versatile microphone as long as it is matched to a pre-amp with outstandingly high clean gain.

The SM57 TAB-Funkenwerk mike is often mentioned as a cheaper alternative. I have been wanting to grab one from Mercenary Audio.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Oktavamod mics. They are awesome mics at an awesome price. The 319/219 are a little bit over your budget, but you can probably find one used. Or find a stock Oktava and get it modded.

I have the Tab modded 57 and it sounds great, but I wouldn't pick it for vocals. At least not on most vocalists.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you already have an NT1000 and aren't liking it, it's hard to say that another condenser mic would do the trick.

For less than $500 I've heard the KEL mics are pretty fantastic...
and they make a mic that sounds similar to the sm7b that you don't need a superb preamp to drive.

I'd say the sm7b is a mic that would certainly add to your arsenal, and works pretty damn well for the style of music like you've got on your myspace site.
Truth is, you DO need a quality pre to drive the SM7 in my opinion.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonjohn ➑️
I have been hearing that the MCA SP1 (not SP2) wipes out most inexpensive LDCs, and it is amazingly $40 from Pro Sound, Stage, Lighting. Here's a review from a noted mic expert.

MCA SP1 Review | recording hacks
Terry Setter indeed loves the SP1. As he points out, it is a small-diaphragm design (20mm), not a large-diaphragm.

I'm told the same capsule can be found in the MXL 603S, and further that it's a fine copy of the KM-84 capsule. Which is probably why the SP-1 and 603S have so many fans.

Anyway, to your question, seems to me that the particulars of the voice itself are a huge factor in determining what mic will be most complementary. Maybe you could spend part of your budget at a local studio trying out their stock of vocal mics?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use the SM7 all the time. It's a great all purpose mic and is a lot better for recording vocals and acoustic guitar than the 57. I have a Studio Projects C1 that sounds great for the money IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
for 200 buks these days if doing rock...you can build a lot of mic cabinet.
look for old shure n ev dynamics ...then add in diy mics you can build from panasonic
wma capsules. another source of mics is old throway speakers, for free.
or take capsules out of old headphones n turn em into a mic.
also there are a ton of mics under 100 buks ,eg that mca up thread.. zzounds.com have a price list you can sort from low price to high price.
if you know what your doing you could get say 8 decent mics for 200 buks if your a carefull hunter of deals n into diy. also search pawnbroker/used gear shops.
lots of deals n your local newspaper.

you could do a lot with a couple of sp1's.
mebe a couiple of wma diy.
couple of speaker mics diy.
couple of old 70's ev dynamics.
a new beyer dynamic.
etc etc.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
If you're fine with going used, maybe look into some of the Blue Microphones in that price range. You mentioned you are slightly nasally voice. I think a Blue Blueberry or Baby Bottle might help cut into that a bit and still let it cut through the mix. Just my opinion though.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere ➑️
For less than $500 I've heard the KEL mics are pretty fantastic...
and they make a mic that sounds similar to the sm7b that you don't need a superb preamp to drive.
+1...the KEL HM-2d is a condenser mic voiced to sound like a dynamic (or more specifically, a Shure SM7)...and it does...and if your current mic pre can't handle the necessary output (65+dB) to drive an SM7, than the KEL is a great (and cheaper option at $179 shipped)...

...both the KEL HM-7u (think U47 FET) and HM-2d are outstanding vocal mics for cheap! (get both for less than $500 delivered!)...nuff said
Gear Guru
Check out my HM-7U review, I put a male/female vocal sample in it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
Check out my HM-7U review, I put a male/female vocal sample in it.
That was GREAT dude. I excuse you having a cold but the female vocals are so invigorating.

KELs advertising calls the sound glossy and it took me a while to process. But they're right, it's glossy without glare (if anyone relates to that).

My next mic was supposed to be an SM7 but now I'd rather get an HM-7U first.
Plus the HM-7U is "Small Supercardioid" so bad rooms aren't as much of a problem.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I was very impressed with the AT4040 which can be had new on zzounds.com for $250.

Check out the first three songs on this bands site.
myspace.com/theroadtofameandgirlfriends

I used the at4040 on their vocals.

-niknak
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZsound ➑️
My suggestion would be a Shure KSM 32 or AT 4047.
+1 Both vocal swiss army knives!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
AT4040

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknak87 ➑️
I was very impressed with the AT4040 which can be had new on zzounds.com for $250.

Check out the first three songs on this bands site.
myspace.com/theroadtofameandgirlfriends

I used the at4040 on their vocals.

-niknak
niknak what is the at4040 going through (pre-amps, etc.)? I think it sounds really nice. Thanks.

Lank
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
the vocals are going through the mackie onyx 800R into 003+ via adat into ProTools 8. BUT, the real star of the mix is the massey plugins i've been usings.

High-end plug-ins for Pro Tools
I LOVE em!

-niknak
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
are the preamps in the 8pre the same than in the 828mk2?

sm7 wouldn't work for normal loud vocals with that preamps... not enough gain!
Old 19th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Braun ➑️
+1 for the SM7b

cant go miss with a 4047
πŸ“ Reply