The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocal mic for $500 or less
Old 19th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonJukx ➡️
cant go miss with a 4047
Agree. I own both mics. They're both very nice, but if you have a decent sounding room, the AT4047 is a better sounding vocal mic, hands down. You get a similiar rounded, thick sound that the SM7b offers plus more detail and clarity on the top end with the AT4047. You can get one used for 350 bucks. I've used a lot of condensers and think the AT4047 is the absolute best in it's class in the sub-500 dollar price range. Possibly the sub 1000 dollar price range.
Old 19th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case ➡️
The Stellar CM-6 is still one of the best microphone deals under $500, and arguably the best brand new tube microphone deal under $500.
...agreed Frank!...I'll see you and raise to $1000...
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Don't forget the Stellar CM5 !

Great on acoustic guitar and on guitar amp too !!
Old 20th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 ➡️
Agree. I own both mics. They're both very nice, but if you have a decent sounding room, the AT4047 is a better sounding vocal mic, hands down. You get a similiar rounded, thick sound that the SM7b offers plus more detail and clarity on the top end with the AT4047. You can get one used for 350 bucks. I've used a lot of condensers and think the AT4047 is the absolute best in it's class in the sub-500 dollar price range. Possibly the sub 1000 dollar price range.
i sold my 4047, smh... its been hit or miss ever since... ill def have another one by january
Old 20th November 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My 2-cents is that a good room and a good pre go a long way towards getting out of the "hit and miss" cycle with any mic.

That said, SM7b gets a lot of love from this guy, and more than a little from a diverse crew of folks elsewhere on the boards. As already stated, with +60-70 in clean gain, it's a champ.

On the condenser side, I bought a couple of 4047's a couple of years ago, and I often pick them over pricier options for myself and others.
Old 25th November 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
this is a bit of a hijack but rather than start a thread, I'm looking at buying something that has most likely been mentioned. It's a gift for a female singer starting out basic home recording, I would define her voice as similar to Florence and machine with more air and less volume (in places) I think a condenser would suit and I've got a budget of 500 (was thinking stellar cm6). She will pick up an interface to match so it might be worth a mention.

Sent from my GT-I9300T
Old 25th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
You should check out the ADK Thor...plus its got a remarkably high SPL rating for a condenser at 150 dbu, meaning you can use it on anything from vocals, to guitar cabs, to kick drum. It was built to sound like an 87 at a lower price.
📝 Reply