Quantcast
How about another vocal mic conjecture? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How about another vocal mic conjecture?
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How about another vocal mic conjecture?

Okay, I've got my ADK A-51 large condenser and my Sennheiser MD-421 dynamic. Both sound very nice indeed, but I can't really standardize on either.

The ADK is as clean as any cheap mic could hope to be, probably above average, but there's a faint papery something around 1kHz that I wish wasn't there. And I dream of it being a little more transparent. I could trade it in if I found something better.

The 421 is fat and juicy, nice for the lower-key songs, but a little more fi and frequency range and good behavior in the mix would be nice. And I dream of it being a little more transparent. I'd like to keep it.

I have baritone songs and tenor songs. It would be nice to have a little of the glow of the 421, and the frequency extension and mixabalility of the condenser, with no rough areas in the frequency range.

So what's my next step? I need to keep it to maybe three hundred dollars US new or used. Does anyone get any inspiration from my descriptions? If you was me, what would be my next step up?

Thanks

LP
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You might like the Kel Audio HM-7U.. and it's only $299
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Shure SM7b. Everyone around here swears by it.
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla ➡️
You might like the Kel Audio HM-7U.. and it's only $299
I just received mine yesterday, and I will post sound samples as soon as I get out of a cold. I spoke in it and it sounds great so far. A lot of work are done producing these mics.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➡️
I just received mine yesterday, and I will post sound samples as soon as I get out of a cold. I spoke in it and it sounds great so far. A lot of work are done producing these mics.
I love my HM-7U! Now if I could just get it back from my buddy.. I let him take it home for a test drive, and have not seen it since heh... and that was three months ago!
📝 Reply