Quantcast
SM7B on drum overheads? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM7B on drum overheads?
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
SM7B on drum overheads?

Has anyone tried SM7B's on drum overheads?

They recommend it in the new Sonic Circus Buyer's Guide.

If anyone has tried it and liked it, what was your signal chain and placement?

Thanks,
Jeff Braun
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Works great on HH, never tried it on OH
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
shhhh..

ix-nay on the ure-shay.......

noone is supposed to know this.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've seen it done. Actually, the whole band including drums was mic'd with SM7B's. Kick, Snare, 2 OH's. It sounded FAT.

It wouldn't work in all situations, but for rock, country, etc...it sounds good.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why would you want to go and do a thing like that to your overhead tracks?

Can't think of a worse application for that mic. Yuck.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I agree, prolly not the best use of an SM7B. The junior engineer at the radio station where they did this only had access to one mic locker that had only SM7Bs.

It wasn't really that bad. The overall sound of the kit had a rounded, warm, deep, full tone. The drummer was a basher so it worked. I've seen pics of John Bonham using RE20's as OH mics so it's not that strange, really.
agreed threefold in effect. WHY on earth would you want to color the sound that way, or use the same MIC on EVERYTHING!!!!!!!?!?!?
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use it on OH all the time when we're working on pre-production.

The idea of our pre-production is that it (hopefully) contains a lot of good ideas but doesn't actually sound good enough for anyone to think that it might be included in the end cd. In other words, I purposely use the sm7 on overheads because it sounds like hell over the top of the kit. heh

Not taking away from what anyone else might say...
I know guys who use actual 57's on overheads and make 'em sound great...
But the sm7 on OH certainly isn't my cup o' tea.

It sounds just like a dynamic mic on overheads..
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Umm... I would question it because of sensitivity. The SM7 has such great off axis rejection that I would think it wouldn't get the whole kit.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old thread, I know. But - anyone tried 2 SM7b`s in a Glyn Johns setup ? one on the side and on over the snare ?

I have 2 SM7b`s and I`m gonna try this soon!

Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

While you're at it, try two Beta 52s as overheads or two D112s...
Old 28th May 2013
Get a used pair of KSM32's for overheads. Excellent capture of the whole kit.

-d
Old 28th May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just for fun, last night I tried a single SM7 in the center of kit position. I was amazed to hear it sound pretty decent...
Attached Files

SM7 Raw.wav (2.93 MB, 8492 views)

SM7 Processed.wav (2.93 MB, 8689 views)

Old 29th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFRfan ➑️
Just for fun, last night I tried a single SM7 in the center of kit position. I was amazed to hear it sound pretty decent...
I reckon that sounds pretty cool! Certainly good enough to stick it to the facepalmers and nay-sayers
Old 29th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixtree Audio ➑️
Get a used pair of KSM32's for overheads. Excellent capture of the whole kit.

-d

We`re not discussing "what are great overhead mics" but rather "is the SM7b cool on overhead".
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If you are getting a dedicated overhead mic, I'd look elsewhere. Does it work? Yeah, but so would 57s at less than half the cost.

If you are looking for a good all around dynamic mic, then it's a good choice.
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have 2 SM7b`s and I`m definately going to try them on OH`s now, just wanted to see if others have tried it before.

Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

Bumpin this thread! Saw Alabama Shakes on SNL and they were using a pair as oh's on the kit. I was inspired to try it with my kit and I liked it so much I'm gonna record a whole record using just a mono sm7 and a 421 on kick
Old 7th March 2015
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've never tried an SM57, but I've successfully used an SM-57 which created a rad vintage effect. It was very cool. Not the sort of thing I would do often, but once in while, awesome. And both 57 and SM7 are great hi hat mics.
Old 5th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ive been doing this too as a single/mono overhead. I close mic the snare and kick. Three mics total. Sounds way better than I expected.

Honestly don't even need the close snare mic.
Old 5th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick8801 ➑️
Bumpin this thread! Saw Alabama Shakes on SNL and they were using a pair as oh's on the kit. I was inspired to try it with my kit and I liked it so much I'm gonna record a whole record using just a mono sm7 and a 421 on kick
That's cool. I use the sm7b at band practice because it rejects the other instruments better than the LDCs that I would normally use in an isolated setting. I imagine that might be why they did that in the SNL setting where things get crowded on stage... probably lots of bleed there.
Old 7th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No overhead tried with this mic. For a very loud live band it could be great to keep the foam off and place the mic to capture the entire band from a particular spot in the room or outside the room
Other than that after experimenting with this mic for several years that overhead on drums I did not try. ....it's pretty nice under the snare.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Just came across this pic of Steve Smith from his Journey days...

http://theconcertdatabase.com/sites/...ve%20smith.jpg

Sure looks like a pair of sm7b over his kit.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Definitely would not be my first choice. Or third. With drums, it can sound good on hi-hat, sometimes snare. Then again, I've seen pictures of drum kits with SM57s on overheads so anything can work.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
yeah, anything can work. Question is, what works best. SM7 on overhead seems strange. Pickup qualities & freq response are technically all wrong for what I usually seek. But then "wrong" sometimes creates a new "right."
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

I liked it on mine for a super lo fi kinda vibe. It was like a more midrangey dirty version of my Beyer M160. Sounded cool all crunched up through the 1073. Don't play too many cymbals though.....GGGSSSSHHHHHHHH
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Braun ➑️
Has anyone tried SM7B's on drum overheads?

They recommend it in the new Sonic Circus Buyer's Guide.

If anyone has tried it and liked it, what was your signal chain and placement?

Thanks,
Jeff Braun
I've used it as a 3rd OH at the top of a stairwell behind the kit, along with 2 Oktava's in the traditional L and R positions. Sounded really awesome -- the 3 mic setup gives you a great 3D sound and the SM7 sounded surprisingly good.
Old 4th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
First, thanks for doing that test and keeping the results up. I know this was from nearly 4 years ago, but do you remember where the mic was pointed and placed? Was it above the Drummers head pointed down or angled towards a cymbal or tom? Or just pointed down and placed over the kick?
I think it sounds really usable.

I came to this thread because I read an interview with the engineer who recorded foxygens " we are the 21st ambassadors of peace and magic" in which he said he only used an sm7 for an OH and a second mic on kick. Sounds great to me and similar vibe with what you've got here.
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
IMO sounds like shi*t

Might as well bang a couple of 57s up there instead......

But then you go into the area of people who think a 57 sounds good on an ac gt
Old 6th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Richard swift interview

https://westlakepro.com/richard-swif...re-still-cool/

I came to this thread because of this interview I read with Richard Swift. He says he only used an SM7 and a kick mic on the drums for Foxygens album "we are the 21st century ambassadors of peace and magic". I think this foxygen album has great sounding drums. Everything else on it sounds great as do the drum tracks on Swifts own releases.
πŸ“ Reply