SM7B on drum overheads? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM7B on drum overheads?
Old 7th April 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoli ➡️
Sure looks like a pair of sm7b over his kit.
SHURE does!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
https://westlakepro.com/richard-swif...re-still-cool/

I came to this thread because of this interview I read with Richard Swift. He says he only used an SM7 and a kick mic on the drums for Foxygens album "we are the 21st century ambassadors of peace and magic". I think this foxygen album has great sounding drums. Everything else on it sounds great as do the drum tracks on Swifts own releases.
I like that drum sound. Swift usually goes for a fairly crunchy tape drum sound that most dynamics as an OH will work well for. His studio is fairly low ceiling but treated and full of gear which helps.

Still, it proves you don't need expensive microphones to make cool music. Just a Studer!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In true gearslutz fashion there are a few people on this thread saying this would be terrible who have never actually tried it. I've recorded three albums with an SM7b on overhead and was able to get good results that made the band happy.

Take the windscreen AKA high-frequency screen off of it. I put it behind the drummer a few feet above his right shoulder pointing down at the kit. Drummers love the sound of this mic technique; I think it helps the recording sound similar to how they hear the kit when they are playing it. RE20s work well with this technique as well. For these albums I also put a 4050 a few feet to the left of the kit about 5 feet off the ground, then panned the them hard left and right.

Would I rather use a pair of 414s? Usually. But the Sm7b and 4050 were the two best mics this studio had so I made them work.
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
The last mic this guy uses is an SM7 and I was surprised at how fat it was! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r63cMRus87E
📝 Reply