Quantcast
where does it start? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
where does it start?
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
where does it start?

wheres the line between low end and high end begin?
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ha! Good question.

Some people might say when the words Behringer, Presonus, Mackie, Yamaha, MXL, Studio Projects, etc. etc. are not available in your studio.

Others might say when you are spending $1000/channel on preamps and own Neumann mics, Royers, anything vintage, etc.

Personally I think "Low-End" is not so much a certain amount of gear or how much you spent but a mentality. I own $1000 mics and $25 mics. I don't bother with high-end $2000 preamps. I mix on $500 monitors. But what I buy and use is methodically chosen to do what I want and not what other people say I need. Right now I have a 24-input system with what I consider very good converters and lots of preamps and enough mics to mic anything. I am of the opinion I can record anything at worst decently and at best as good as anyone. So what if I don't have a U87 -> 1073 -> Protools HD system. Just "having" the gear doesn't make you a high-end engineer.

Anyway, YMMV heh
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elz ➡️
It seems to me that Jules has written somewhere the difference... maybe the "sticky's" on the High End Thread??

If I recall correctly, the high end stuff was intended to be the things that you would find in large commercial recording studios -- Neve consoles -- C12s -- Fairchilds -- you get the gist. And just because you find it in a high end studio doesn't mean it qualifies. For example, the AT4033 mic can be found in some very high end studios, but they are also something that alot of low end users have. Honestly though, how many garage studios have Pultecs or Brauners. Price definitely has something to do with it.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Low end is getting value for your money. Figure out where your money makes more difference (acoustic treatment and mics come to mind). Then, find the place on the price/performance curve where you are still getting good performance gain for each dollar - buy stuff near that transition....

"High End" means poo-pooing any mic with parts from China - even though some of them are as good as or better than European made mics. Of course, they cost less...

-tINY

Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elz ➡️
Request the most recent musicians friend catalog and look at what they primarily show in their recording section and then request the most recent Sonic Circus catalog and do the same.
You'll most likely get one good comparative view between the 2.
(The Sonic Circus Catalog opens up with the 1608 API 16 channel console at $49,000.00 and 16 channel sidecar at $39,000.00 followed by the 32 channel Rubert Neve console at $110,000.00.)
📝 Reply