The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
nice room reverb
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
nice room reverb

hey ppl,

how are u?

i got this recording here at home in my livingroom...fixed the acoustics here...fairly dry.

recorded everything closemiced, so no room mics. i setup a room mic but it succed.

its a singer/guitarplayer recorded in 1 take. and for the mix we are going the "jonni mitchel bleu album" direction.

vocals in front. guitar bit less,

my question. !!!!

if i mix vocals and guiter dry, with an aux extra with a little room on 10ms tail level to punch up the mix, i still hear a very dry result. too dry.

the mix has to be direct, but not dry....oink.

have u ppl got any suggestions to wetten the mix but not hear the reverb? do i talk sence here? hope u ppl understand it.

still if u listen to jonni mitchel bleu album everthing sounds very straight, and the guitars are a bit wetter in the mix. call it reverbelicous?

all ideas are welcome. greetz Peter zebraaa
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Well two ways come to mind to create reverb that doesn't sound like reverb, but rather some room mics in a nice space.

Three ideas:
- The Sonnox Reverb plug-in is pretty phenomenal for creating space without sounded like "reeeveerrrrbbbb"
- The TC Electronic VSS3/4 algorithms in their M3000, M4000, etc hardware units sound good for this as well.
- OR, set up a spaced stereo pair in a room that sounds good, set up a speaker in the room and use your aux sends to control the reverb mix. Record the stereo pair back in and voila, real reverb that's going to sound more real than anything you could synthesize. The catch is that you need a room that sounds the way you want.
(- there's also the whole convolution thing, but i've always preferred algorithms.)
📝 Reply