Quantcast
What am I hearing? (p11a question) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What am I hearing? (p11a question)
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What am I hearing? (p11a question)

I've been away from music for a few months due to person reasons. Now I'm back working again and finally figured out the problem with my adam P11a's (guess giving a break sometimes has its benefits).

Whatever I listen, I realise a bump somewhere around 1.8-2.1 khz. (still looking for the right spot). With plug-in eq I lower the freq. -2 db max and though the sound gets a little darker, the monitor sounds more balanced (only the stereo separation get a bit more narrow due to the plug-in).

Question is what is the best solution to this? I like my monitors and don't think of changing them. Would it be better to buy a cheap outboard eq or use an eq plug-in and later a limiter? or just try and get use to it?
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'd recommend getting used to it.
Old 24th January 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker ➡️
Question is what is the best solution to this? I like my monitors and don't think of changing them. Would it be better to buy a cheap outboard eq or use an eq plug-in and later a limiter? or just try and get use to it?
Turn the tweeter down with the trims on the back panel of the P11A. Thats what I would try. I would also trim the gain to see if that helps, but you may also want to evaluate your DAC and monitoring chain, not to mention how the monitors are oriented in your mix position. Sometimes these issues can be solved by getting a truer electronic monitoring path, IE a passive attenuator or master controller. I would not use any kind of processor in the way you suggest.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanx for the advices!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…