Quantcast
Karma Audio K10 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Karma Audio K10
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Karma Audio K10

I was gonna get a pair of Naiant X-Q mics but it seems like they might be a little noisy for what I want to do with them, so I've been looking at getting a pair of Karma Audio K10's. They are only $99 for a matched pair and seem to have much better specs (noise is <17dBA) and they seem to be great bang for the buck. Spec-wise they also seem to be on par with the other usual suspects (MXL603, Joemeek JM27, Studio Projectc C4, Rode NT5). I've only heard one or 2 drum overhead-clips on the web and they sound pretty darn good, but i've not heard any clips of things like acoustic guitar, piano, etc. I've not seen many reviews for the K10's, but people seem to really like all the other Karma mics.

Can anyone offer an opinion on these mics?
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
bump
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
bump bumpity bump
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
a bit curious myself.....
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I will also mark myself curious about these mics. Certainly Karma's other products get good reception.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well I decided to order a pair of K10's, partly because of the good things I've heard about their other mics. It's gonna be about 2 weeks before they arrive here in South Africa. I'm pretty excited and I'll let you know how they are. Maybe I'll do a couple of clips too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That would be great!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i was deciding between the naiant x-q's and the little tiny karma micro's for overheads...either of these do a nice job?
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I *think* the X-Q's will kick the Karma Micro's ass in terms of sound, seeing as the Micro only goes up to around 13KHz. The only reason I didn't go for the X-Q's is becaus noise will be an issue for what I need now. They seemed to noisy for my needs on the clips I found.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Only 13 kHz? That's still pretty damn high for that cheap of a mic. The micros actually get good reviews most of the time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ya I was actually going to order the 7 mic pack for 80 bucks next week.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laboitenoire ➑️
Only 13 kHz? That's still pretty damn high for that cheap of a mic. The micros actually get good reviews most of the time.
I've also heard good things about the Micro's, but they do only go up to 13 KHz. See Karma Audio - KMicro. The Naiant X-Q's, however, go all the way up to 20 KHz.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hell yeah! My K10's arrived today!!! I'm busy mixing a project at the moment that I need to deliver on Friday so I wasn't really able to put them through their paces, but here are my first impressions after just a quick look:

They look and feel really nice and solid - pretty heavy too as far as SDC's go. They come in a very nice box too with 2 mic-clips. My wife immediately said the whole package with the 2 mics in the box "looks expensive", for whatever the wow-factor counts.

I had like 5 minutes to play with them so far, so I hooked them up to my RNP, grabbed my acoustic guitar, and did a couple of strummy things and fingerpicked thingies in spaced-pair and XY setups. I'm really happy with what I heard so far. The guitar-sound had a nice 3D quality to it with nothing seeming harsh or weird. It sounded like my guitar.

These mics are nice and quiet too. No real noise when I was fingerpicking fairly softly. They seem pretty sensitive too - on the clips for the quiet parts I could hear a clock ticking in the next room.

I'll put the mics through their paces as soon as I've got the time and post some more. So far I'm really happy.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'd love to get some more updates on these mics, I really want some SDC's bad

must...avoid...urge...
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
KillerV said he was going to play with them more on friday so i'm gonna bump this even though I just bought an mca sp1. lol, i have a lot of willpower against buying things
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Haha, yes I know I should have posted about this earlier. Just have a really hectic couple of days (weeks) behind me and this week looks like it ain't gonna be any different.

I'm very happy with these mics. My initial thoughts (see earlier post) on them were confirmed when I played with them some more on acoustic guitar. They're nice and quiet with a sound that I like very much. They don't seem to roll of on the bass side as much as other SDC's I've tried do, but they're not boomy.

I was actually able to get a very acceptable drum-sound with just a kick mic, snare mic and a pair of K10 on overheads in a spaced pair. Although I'd probably still close-mic the toms when I record like this I didn't feel like the toms dissappeared/thinned out the way they did when I've used a number of other SDC's.

IMHO these mics are as good as any of the other SDC's that I've tried (Joemeek JM27, Studio Projectc C4, Rode NT5, Rode NT3, Shure SM81) - maybe even better. Considering then that they cost $99 for the matched pair, they're an absolutely killer deal.

I've had a number of folks say to me that you get a lot more with the Karma mics than what you pay for and I can confirm this. I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

I sent Karma Audio some of the clips I made of acoustic guitar (spaced pair, XY, quiet fingerpicked, single mic on body/neck joint) and the drum-clips* I wrote about. They asked to use them on their website, so you can just keep checking it out. If the clips haven't been posted on there by later this week, I'll post them here too. All clips were done with the mics straight into my RNP with no processing on the K10's.

*Oh BTW, please excuse the drumming on these clips. I'm a terrible drummer, but I wasn't able to find a drummer to help me record the clips, so I just did my best. Although there were no processing on the K10's, I compressed the kick-track some to even out my sloppy playing and added a hint of high shelf EQ on the snare mic.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
cool stuff, maybe i'll have to snag a pair soon. I think a side by side comparison of the NT5's and K10's would be awesome.
Old 30th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
im interested in these as well

my friends band recorded with these in my basement, i was out of town though so i couldnt check them out

the drums on were recorded with these as OH, a Blue ball mic for the kick, heil pr20 for the snare...i believe that was all

FYI- the vocal mic used was a Kel Hm7u....check out the first 3 songs to hear those mics....the band is great too!!

Ivan The Terribles on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 15th January 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm a multi-instrumentalist songwriter. Multi-tracking is my best friend. I have a band but when I am writing songs I like to flesh out full ideas including drums and such.

I bought a pair of these a while ago. Technically they were 'used' but they were in like new condition. Still had the plastic on the box. I wanted a cheap pair of SDCs to track drum ideas. I have also used them for live recordings of shows (set up in X-Y) and for testing ukulele.

For the money these mics are great. I do see though, that some people on here are saying that they're possibly even better than the the NT5 and SM81. I wouldn't go that far. They are good, but not great.

I'll still keep them around because they are worth more to me for recording than they are getting $80 cash out of them!

Bottom line, you can't really go wrong here. Great mics for the money. But if you're wanting to really achieve professional sound you'll probably want to save up a bit more and get something a little better. I may soon look in to Michael Joly's Ultimate SDC Mod. The sound samples of those things are unbelievable! Hmmm I wonder if there are any mods he'd do for the K10.

Anyway, that's my two cents on these mics.
πŸ“ Reply